1120AF/1124AF Chassis Suitability

iac27

I think almost. I am not sure but have heard the 917 might have a smaller center hump than our 1120 (both are LN2 trucks). I follow a German LN2 forum and someone there is installing a OM366LA in a 917 and is grafting in the hump from an 1120 to get it to fit. Might make a difference in the center seat, but I really don't know how much.

As far as the engine preferences I would think Sitec would be our local expert. He has likely driven more differt MB trucks than most. I do also know he had a friend drop by that had an 1120, so he might know the om366la as well.
Do you understand German or do you use google translate? What's the site? And thanks for the feedback.

Sitec

Adventurer
As far as the engine preferences I would think Sitec would be our local expert. He has likely driven more differt MB trucks than most. I do also know he had a friend drop by that had an 1120, so he might know the om366la as well.

I know a little... The OM366LA is a 5.95lt straight 6 turbo diesel. They are a solid reliable engine, and were a replacement for the 5.6lt OM352 in the 1617's. Both are reasonably good on fuel, but both are under powered in any truck over 8 or 9 tonnes... The 1120 that was here is an 80kmh animal. Much more is a thrash. I drove 4x2 1617's, and 6x4 Mercedes 2421's which had a 10.9lt V6 OM401LA when I was in Africa... The V6 2421 had the edge on the straight 6 1617, but only just, and always sounded like someone rattling a tin with a few bolts in the bottom! Our 1222A has the later 10.9lt OM441LA V6 engine which is 220hp in naturally aspirated form, and jumps to 340hp in turbo intercooled form. It's quite smooth, and more refined than the original OM401. For a truck over 10 tonnes, the larger engines are a must. The smaller in line 6 will always be better on fuel, but I think the larger V6 and V8's are easier to work on.. With singular cylinder heads, fixing them on the side of the road is easier... We plan to carry a spare head and single piston gasket set... I recently found out about a much bigger 12lt OM501 V6 in the Actros. I know little about it, but its power ranges from 310hp to 480hp. Our truck is on the bigger side at 7.8m long, and being an all steel frame in the body, I'm guessing it'll be between 10 and 11 tonnes. I plan to utilise the turbo and intercooler of our donor truck taking our 220hp V6 up to around 300hp. My engine of choice would be an OM442 15.1 V8 twin turbo at around 350hp as its smooth, unstressed and sounds great... The fuel bill would be at least a 3rd more than the smaller 6's though, so I settled on the later V6, as it's not too big, and it's what I could find.

In a word, if you are going for an 'old school' truck under 9 tonnes, the straight 6 is the go. 9 tonnes or above look for a late V6, and 12 tonnes and above, find a V8! With a later Atego, Actros or similar, the common rail fly by wire engines are undoubtedly more efficient and quieter, but they don't like dirty fuel, and you need diagnostics equipment to fix them which is hard to find in third world countries. :)

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Do you understand German or do you use google translate? What's the site? And thanks for the feedback.
I use Chrome, which translates directly. The site is https://ln2-forum.de/index.php and you can post in English. Stefan, one of the admins helps me with the more difficult translations.

I ended up finding our truck on https://www.machinio.com/?location=&search=Mercedes+af#results. Not as many trucks as mobile.de but worked. The dealer we got it from was Liftservice.no

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
And Sitec is correct in that our truck feels underpowered in the hills. Would really benefit from more gears and the 240hp. I would think those 2 things would make a huge difference. Problem is I don't know of a different gear box that fits. The 240hp, well that us supposed to be easy (and if you find an 1124 even better). I do know of one person in Vermont that has a 15l v8. He struggles to get 8mpg. Not only is more expensive to run per mile but reduces your range between fills.

Kurben

Important is not only the engine (204 or 240HP). The smaller MB truck had also 5-speed, 6 speed and very rare 6-speed + overdrive transmissions. Also very important are the axle differential rations. Most trucks have one of these ratios: 48:7 (slow), 40:7, 42:8, 38:8, 43:10 (fast). In my mind a perfect combination is a 1124 with 240HP, 6-speed transmission and 43:10 axles.

iac27

I know a little... The OM366LA is a 5.95lt straight 6 turbo diesel. They are a solid reliable engine, and were a replacement for the 5.6lt OM352 in the 1617's. Both are reasonably good on fuel, but both are under powered in any truck over 8 or 9 tonnes... The 1120 that was here is an 80kmh animal. Much more is a thrash. I drove 4x2 1617's, and 6x4 Mercedes 2421's which had a 10.9lt V6 OM401LA when I was in Africa... The V6 2421 had the edge on the straight 6 1617, but only just, and always sounded like someone rattling a tin with a few bolts in the bottom! Our 1222A has the later 10.9lt OM441LA V6 engine which is 220hp in naturally aspirated form, and jumps to 340hp in turbo intercooled form. It's quite smooth, and more refined than the original OM401. For a truck over 10 tonnes, the larger engines are a must. The smaller in line 6 will always be better on fuel, but I think the larger V6 and V8's are easier to work on.. With singular cylinder heads, fixing them on the side of the road is easier... We plan to carry a spare head and single piston gasket set... I recently found out about a much bigger 12lt OM501 V6 in the Actros. I know little about it, but its power ranges from 310hp to 480hp. Our truck is on the bigger side at 7.8m long, and being an all steel frame in the body, I'm guessing it'll be between 10 and 11 tonnes. I plan to utilise the turbo and intercooler of our donor truck taking our 220hp V6 up to around 300hp. My engine of choice would be an OM442 15.1 V8 twin turbo at around 350hp as its smooth, unstressed and sounds great... The fuel bill would be at least a 3rd more than the smaller 6's though, so I settled on the later V6, as it's not too big, and it's what I could find.

In a word, if you are going for an 'old school' truck under 9 tonnes, the straight 6 is the go. 9 tonnes or above look for a late V6, and 12 tonnes and above, find a V8! With a later Atego, Actros or similar, the common rail fly by wire engines are undoubtedly more efficient and quieter, but they don't like dirty fuel, and you need diagnostics equipment to fix them which is hard to find in third world countries. :)
Thanks for your words of wisdom!

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Important is not only the engine (204 or 240HP). The smaller MB truck had also 5-speed, 6 speed and very rare 6-speed + overdrive transmissions. Also very important are the axle differential rations. Most trucks have one of these ratios: 48:7 (slow), 40:7, 42:8, 38:8, 43:10 (fast). In my mind a perfect combination is a 1124 with 240HP, 6-speed transmission and 43:10 axles.
Any more info on the 6 speed with overdrive? I have never heard of this gear box.

Kurben

It was an option for long distance truck buyers. It is called GV4/65-6/9,0. A couple of members of the LN2 Forum have converted their trucks to this transmission. You can find them easily with the search function. There is currently an offer of a GV4/65-6/9,0 on ebay.de

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz