12 volt heater thoughts?

shnez

Dont know the working temps, but the propex itself does not get that hot, if hot at all....
What will be the issue is be the exhaust pipe... if you have a way to isolate it from the pelican you should be good ......

Was just going to drill it out the bottom of the pelican with the intake and loop one to each side. Maybe fit some uninstrut rails to keep it off the pipes when lying flat.

john61ct

Adventurer
Need double-walled exit point, ideally shielded with whatever replaces asbestos these days.

Steel box would be better, or a design that opens in use.

No flex fuel lines near heat!

shnez

Adventure Trailers does build one that is portable, however they charge a pretty penny for it. I'm sure anyone could build one for about $50 more than the cost of the heater itself. Installation is very simple, nothing more complicated than hooking up some wires and plumbing the propane. On my instal I went to my local CoOp and had them build the hose and regulator to my specs for about $30, took all of 5 minutes. Propane is very easy to deal with as far as plumbing goes, thanks to the very low pressure at which it operates. I hadn't thought of using mine that way and I'm not sure I want to uninstall the one in my teardrop. I do like the idea of having a unit like that being so flexible tho.

Do you know what the thread type is on the propex? I got a hose made up at the rv store but although the thread looks similar it's incorrect.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Do you know what the thread type is on the propex? I got a hose made up at the rv store but although the thread looks similar it's incorrect.

Email this dude. He usually stocks an adapter that will change the Propex fitting to American pipe thread and can sell one to you. He is an official American Propex dealer....I believe. :)

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I picked up a propex HS2800 brand new for $500 a little while ago. I was thinking if of putting it in a pelican case to make a portable unint. Does anyone know the operating temperature of the case of the propex and if the pelican case would handle that temp.

Where did you find one $500 new?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

plh

Explorer
like has been said 200W (15 a/hr)/400W (33 a/hr)of heat is nothing (aka - no heat!) but still a lot of a/hr and anything reasonable will drain your battery quickly. DC heat with a small amount of stored power (an automotive size battery) is futiile. 1500W will bake a group 31 AGM to 50% capacity in about 25 minutes

SameGuy

Observer
Well I put together the little heater I outlined in the OP. I fired it up on a 35 degree night, climbed inside and in about 15 minutes the temp went up about 4 degrees. Not surprised but I was hoping it would do a little better. After 5 more minuted the fan failed, probably because it was attached directly to the heaters. That same night I put my Endless Breeze 12 volt fan up to the sliding rear window, opened the rear window of the truck and fired up the heater. The inside of the topper was 80 degrees in 10 minutes.

I used some pipe insulation to make a gasket between the rear truck window and the topper and have been happy with the results. We have a remote start on the truck so warming the topper before bed and in the mornings is a breeze and that's really the only time we need any heat back there. Sometimes the best options are also the cheapest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke