12 Volt On-Board Air Compressors What's Out There?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I like both!

For the old Scout 800, I mounted an MV50 OBA with a manifold, 2.5 gallon tank, pressure shut off switch, inside cab air pressure gauge and switch, etc..
Went through the compressor and repaired some shoddy workmanship when I first got it. Drilled and tapped the head for 1/4NPT, then ran a header with a pressure dump.
The reed valves are pretty frail. They shouldn't be restarted under load.
I set it up with a dryer to use as a surge tank, so that I could shut off the 2.5 gallon tank if it wasn't needed.
It worked out well, and allows for swapping in a bigger compressor down the road. During the OBA conversion, I changed the cabling to carry the current with minimal voltage drop. This made a noticeable difference in performance, and the motor runs cooler then when stock out of the bag.

For the Jeep, I mounted a Puma PD1006. Would like a larger tank for it, otherwise it is a great compressor. This will end up in the truck, with a 2.5 Gallon tank. The compressor pulls a consistent 50A, so properly sizing the wire gauge to the length of run is very important. I was running 6AWG for about 10'. That kept the voltage drop down to about 0.2V total.

I also carry an MV50 in its original configuration for backup & sharing. All I did to it was make sure it was assembled correctly.

Picture 1). MV50 modified and mounted under the hood (please excuse the rats nest, was getting ready for an engine swap, and engine compartment clean up)
Picture 2). 2.5 Gallon air tank, plumbed with 3/4" tubing from a garage plumbing kit.
Picture 3 & 4). Puma install in the Jeep.
Picture 5 & 6). Comparison of size difference. Performance difference is definitely equivalent to the size.

Attachments

• OBA_Underhood.jpg
    OBA_Underhood.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 52
  • OBA-Tank-installed.jpg
    OBA-Tank-installed.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Compressor-top.jpg
    Compressor-top.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Compressor-side.jpg
    Compressor-side.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Hard-Top-rear-access-P.jpg
    Hard-Top-rear-access-P.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Air-Super-Station.jpg
    Air-Super-Station.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
If its valves are removable, its worthwhile to at least look at their sealing surfaces.
Cheap compressors are cheap for a reason. Clean up or lap them if needed.

Yep!, looked at them they were not great but adequate; more trouble to modify than the compressor is worth, IMO.

Since I don't expect to use this disposable compressor more than once a week or so during camping/four wheeling season it should be adequate.
I usually modify an air conditioning compressor for onboard air or use an ARB compressor to air up tires but since the Rubicon's A/C still works and it has OEM lockers ARBs will only get installed if the tru-locks (current differentials) fail.

compressor in a can 50 croppedDSCF0301.jpgcompressor out of the can 50 croppedDSCF0302.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited:

WSS

Rock Stacker
These are very nice units : check out this link >>

http://www.extremeoutback.com/products/2/Air+Compressors.html

I'll second that. Mine puts out 4cfm all day. I use a dot big rig air tank remote mounted between frame and trans. Probably a 2gal tank. Plenty of air for the lockers and tires. Can even run some tools.

746BD034-1B01-405C-8EBE-45A9CF137EF1_zpslmt5d7t3.jpg

lower right is air pressure:

96DA2A1F-D1F4-4282-9EBE-02DF7D8BCCC1_zpsntpjlmb2.jpg

switch on dash:

IMG_2819_zpsrkxbrfan.jpg

ports front and back:

IMG_2811_zps6dqqm9pg.jpg

IMG_2818_zpslwrpij9y.jpg

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Any bad experiences with the PUMA?

Everything I hear from everyone about the PUMA is nothing short of spectacular, couple mentioned that the size is an issue in some applications. Everyone else that has it has owned it for many years.

Has anyone had any issues with the PUMA?

I have room for it in the truck, and want to use it for a central tire inflation/deflation system.

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Everything I hear from everyone about the PUMA is nothing short of spectacular, couple mentioned that the size is an issue in some applications. Everyone else that has it has owned it for many years.

I have room for it in the truck, and want to use it for a central tire inflation/deflation system.

One of the guys in my Cruiser club had his seize on him - no idea why.

That's the only real issue I've heard of. I've been running a 12V version since 2010 and a 24V version since 2013 without issue, and at least 8 of my wheeling friends are running them. Have yet to hear of another problem.

One of my favourite pieces of gear - bang for the buck is killer IMHO.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader

Aug of 2017 makes 10 years for my PUMA set up in our 80 series and it gets used a lot. I aired up at least 10 times during our trip in BAJA last week.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Thank you everyone for the advice. I got a Puma! 3 trips in the last two weeks and I could not be happier with the setup.

I added jumper cables to the leads so I can switch it between vehicles. I also made a dual tire inflation setup with a T-connector and two snap on air chucks so I can inflate both the front tires or both the rear tires at the same time to the same pressure.

I originally wanted to install central 2-way air system to deflate and inflate all the tires with 4 whips however there were too many parts and I could not find a place to mount all the quick connects to make for a clean and hidden install. So I decided to run the Puma as a portable unit for now.

Puma review which includes tank inflation from 0-135psi, single 37" tire inflation from 10-41.5psi and two 37" tires at the same time from 10-38.5psi.

Glidedon

How would these recommended compressors fair airing up high volume low pressure inflatable watercraft? iSUP , pontoons or catarafts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste