12 Volt On-Board Air Compressors What's Out There?

downhill

Adventurer
Just adding another data point for the Puma. I've used mine heavily for the past 6 years and I really like it. No issues at all, and plenty of air when I need it. I lived in Wyoming for w while on a remote ranch. I was airing up and down every time I left the ranch. I also run some tools and airlockers with it. I separated the pump from the tank, and mounted them in different locations, because that worked out better for me.

Burb One

Adventurer
I've used a MV-50(or 1050) for the past 7 years hooked up to a 2 gallon tank. No issues. Probably a 100 hours of running. Usually fills up 3 trucks from 20-55 psi all in a row, used and abused.

Built a bumper a few months ago that has a 7 gallon air tank. After a few uses the 50 finally bit the bullet.
I thought the 7 gallons was too much for it, so I decided to replace it with two 1050's instead of going the puma route, just because of price.

Well, opened everything up to replace and mount the new compressors. Turns out the 50 didn't fail. It was the 60 amp relay I had put on the circuit!!

I think there's no doubt the puma and others are better compressors. When considering the price however it become no question, the 50 is hard to beat.

MOguy

Explorer
My first MV-50 was going on about 6 years and I shorted it out. My second one is going on 4 years now. Mine is packed in tight, not much room too cool. I run 34 and 35 inch tires and go from about 10 to 25 lbs when I air up. I often take off the filter so it runs faster. Not the fastest but always reliable.

I also have the small ARB on for my lockers. it was installed in 2001 and I have never had an issue with it. I wouldn't recommend that model of ARB but ARB does make a good compressor but you will pay for it.

0405220945_01_zps40ygwuit.jpg

another_mike

Adventurer
For those replying, id really like to hear an additional data point, like where youre intalling your pumps.. if under the hood, somewhere on the frame, inside the passenger compartment, or keeping them mobile.

ajmaudio

Adventurer
I'd say go with the Via Air... I have the next model down and it easily handles airing up an down etc... doesnt get all that hot, doesnt have the extra weight and fan etc. Should be easier to find a home for it vs the puma, you can use smaller wire, and I would trust mine as much as you can trust any one air source. just my thoughts....

vwhammer

Adventurer
Yeah. To be truthful, I will likely go with the Viair 450C-IG. (AKA Part#45050)
I know it costs more and and does not have the big power and flow of some of the other units but, as I mentioned, the IP rating is important to me.
I will run air tanks so the outright CFM is not all that important.
I have found a few good deals on them so its not too much more than the Puma anyway.
No offense to any of the MV50 guys but that's just not what I am looking for.

Given the IP67 rating, I can mount it outside the vehicle and just run the intake up high so water can't get sucked in there.
I have a few nice places on the side of a frame rail that will probably work out just nicely.
The tanks will be going up front where the spare tire once lived on the Vanagon (well if the winch does not take up all that space)

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
My Puma is in the back and out of the way in my 55. Air line is plumbed to exit the back for the air hose. It also runs front and back air lockers. Seems to work good for me.

Attachments

• IMG_2998.jpg
    IMG_2998.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3021.jpg
    IMG_3021.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 67

MOguy

Explorer
My Puma is in the back and out of the way in my 55. Air line is plumbed to exit the back for the air hose. It also runs front and back air lockers. Seems to work good for me.

I really like your set up.

Whichever compress you buy, mount it, hardwire and think about plumbing it. You can buy a fast compressor that is twice as quick as any other compressor but if it takes you three times as long to unpack it, plug it in, set it up, get at your tires aired up, then packed and put away why buy a high dollar compressor.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
For what it's worth, we're using a ViAir 480c mounted to the frame above the muffler and it never overtemps and has operated without fail. It is really well built and we're happy with it.

It's hard wired and feeds a 2gal air tank plumbed to an air chuck on each side of the truck between the bed and cab. We use it almost everyday and can't imagine living without on board air.

I can't speak for any of the other options since the ViAir is my first 12v compressor, but I don't think you could go wrong with one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001L80244/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rho

Lost again
Well, this thread has inspired me to tear into my MV-50 and start rebuilding it. I won't dig into the compressor head/valve quite yet, instead focusing on getting the electrical a touch more robust first before deciding if I want to hard mount it into the jeep or keep it portable. If I hard mount it I'd do a small tank and stuff, then upgrading the compressor when it dies.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Well, this thread has inspired me to tear into my MV-50 and start rebuilding it. I won't dig into the compressor head/valve quite yet, instead focusing on getting the electrical a touch more robust first before deciding if I want to hard mount it into the jeep or keep it portable. If I hard mount it I'd do a small tank and stuff, then upgrading the compressor when it dies.

My thoughts, on my MF-1050 (successor to the MV-50, I think);
I needed an air compressor to fit into a .30 caliber ammo can for better, non-permanent, in-vehicle storage (...found that a long wire stores better/more compactly than a long hose and the voltage at the battery with the vehicle running more than makes up for any voltage drop due to wire length);
Essentially I removed the rectangular red body cover, and handle then modified the head by tapping one of the holes for a T to keep the hose and gauge over the body... plugged the hole on the side of the head & installed a short rubber hose... the filter is separate, installed prior to use. ...electrically I extended the wire (12 ga.) and installed some better battery clamps.

I have no intention of porting it or modifying the valves (given that the tire valve itself will always be the biggest restriction to flow, I don't see worthwhile gains); but have a slight issue with the design/fitment of the cylinder to the heat sink fit (excessive gap, potentially leading to eventual overheating) but expect that it will work for light duty tire airing.

I don't see any need for a tank for compact portable compressors used only to inflate tires.... for me portability and compactness is a primary concern on the Jeep TJ.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste