15 years (so far) with this TJ!

I bought this 1998 Jeep TJ Sport in December of 2004... It has been driven in 32 states.
It started off its life in Kansas before I bought it in '04. When I got a hold of it it had 76,767 miles on the odometer. It currently has 198,400 the clock with the stock 4.0L and automatic transmission and factory 3.07 gears. I have installed a BDS 3 inch suspension lift on it back in 2005. Currently running 31x10.5x15 AT's on stock factory wheels. We have towed this behind our RV for about 20,000 miles (which did not count on the odometer).
It has NEVER left us stranded like our 1999 Subaru has multiple times in the last 3 years that we've owned it!
Will be adding more pictures soon as I am upgrading parts as of this posting...

IMG_5814.jpg
Overland Expo East 2017

DSC06250.jpg
Blue Ridge Mountains N.C. 2017

Justincredible

Adventurer
Nice work. I went through many years of vehicle ADD where I would get bored of something after only a couple years and sell it for something else, so I love seeing people that keep their vehicles.

Curly

Adventurer
Love my TJ. Bought it on a whim in 2005. Had 50k miles on it, looked pristine. Today it turned 155k, offroad. I've been all over Az in it and several other Western states. I hope it lasts forever. Edit: 97 Tj, built July of 96, so one of the first ones. 22 years old this summer. Az/no rust for the win! :)

Attachments

• monument valley.jpg
    monument valley.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 69

Superduty

Adventurer
That's awesome. You have some serious hours in the driver's seat of that TJ. Keep it up.

I have a soft top on mine and for many many years drove it with the half hard doors. A few months ago I bought some full hard doors. I think I will be able to tolerate longer drives now. :)

abart

That's pretty cool. Like said already, it is nice to see vehicles kept along time and taken care of. I bought my 01 TJ with 38,000 miles in 04 and still have and love it like the day I bought it. Pushing 123,000 miles and going strong. (y)

Viatorem

Nice! I love my 98 TJ. Had for 8 years now, doing moderate wheeling day-trips here in NW Oregon. Now looking to apply the “backpacking” mentality as I look to do multi-day overlanding/camping adventures. Less concerned about fitting a full kitchen and fridge in it, and more concerned with making most of the very limited storage space.

What RTT and rack are you running?

JQMack

Love my TJ. Bought it on a whim in 2005. Had 50k miles on it, looked pristine. Today it turned 155k, offroad. I've been all over Az in it and several other Western states. I hope it lasts forever. Edit: 97 Tj, built July of 96, so one of the first ones. 22 years old this summer. Az/no rust for the win! :)

I can relate to the early build, mine was built in July as well. But I'm in the midatlantic, I can only envy you for the no rust thing - I can check my tire tread through my drivers side fender. Although I love the 97s so much that I'm on my second one. Bought one new, sold it, regretted it, bought another and have been cruising it for over ten years. As for mileage, I think it's safe to say I've gotten my money out of this one.....just put a 2 on the front of the odometer.

Curly

Adventurer
Bummer about the rust! I'm originally from the East Coast but have been in Az most of my life, so no first hand experence with rust. My other Jeep is a 77 Cherokee, (Full Size Jeep), it's been an Az Jeep all it's life. 41 years old, no rust.

Nice! I love my 98 TJ. Had for 8 years now, doing moderate wheeling day-trips here in NW Oregon. Now looking to apply the “backpacking” mentality as I look to do multi-day overlanding/camping adventures. Less concerned about fitting a full kitchen and fridge in it, and more concerned with making most of the very limited storage space.

What RTT and rack are you running?

Very limited space for sure.
I am using a Safari rack with a CVT Mt. Cayley which is now the Mt. Bachelor but with a annex room. The discontinued the Mt. Cayley a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Hold on to that beaut! Dad bought his first Jeep in 2000 and I grew up camping and road tripping the southeast in it, 18 years later and he's passed it on to me and I'm doing my best to do the same! Where are you from, your pictures are pretty local to me.
20160522_174504.jpg20170201_154223.jpg

Installed the new BFGoodrich KM2's with new 15x8 soft 8 steel wheels
DSCF1363-2.jpg

Also installed my new Smittybilt XRC 9,500 winch. It replaced my Harbor Freight 8,000lb that served me very well for 10 years.
DSCF1365-2.jpg DSCF1369-2.jpg DSCF1366-2.jpg DSCF1373-2.jpg

Picture of old winch and some Big O AT's that I got 60k miles out out of.
IMG_0017 b.jpg IMG_7653 b.jpg
We are getting packed up this week and gearing up to head out to Overland Expo West next week... We are making it a 6-7 week journey and travelin' slow...
Map.PNG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94