1462 miles of TEXASOVERLAND

Whtshos

Observer
Vacation 2015 for my wife and I started around 2014 when I thought we would drop down to Big Bend Park on our way back from New Mexico and Colorado. The funds said otherwise and we bypassed this area. This inspired me to make a trip of the Big Bend Region on its own. After much research and map reading and route changing, it was to be! We had met some really neat friends during our equipment and gear testing trips here in the local areas. They had also been curios of the Big Bend Region and were invited to partake with us. We departed Arlington TX on the morning of October 7 2015 and took our time navigating the back roads towards Sonora TX. We arrived at the Caverns of Sonora and checked out the store as it was too late for the cavern tour. We found a nice spot in the small wooded camping area. The tent was set up and dinner was started, simple chicken quesadillas. The next morning during our coffee sunrise session, a staff member came to out site and let us know that the first tour was starting in about 45 minutes and they would wait a few minutes for us. Talk about customer service!!
IMG_0419.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg
IMG_0591.jpg
IMG_0422.jpg

During picture transfer, I got impatient and foolishly lost almost all pics from the cavern. BOO
We left Sonora and headed towards Balmorhea to check out the San Soloman Springs. We hit rain shortly before Ft Stockton and it did not stop for a couple of days. This caused Flash Flood Warnings in the area we were visiting next. We stayed at Balmorhea for three nights and let the gear dry out and took a swim in the spring fed pool when the clouds broke.
IMG_0623.jpg
IMG_0626.jpg
IMG_0632.jpg
IMG_0647.jpg
IMG_0678.jpg
IMG_0713.jpg
Its really cool to swim and get a peti/mani at the same time!!
With spirits high, gear dry and a lot more to see, we dropped south into Presidio, then over into Lajitas for a few nights as a public hunt was happening in the Big Bend Ranch State Park. The Maverick RV Ranch is a super spot to kill time!! We had washers\dryers, pool, showers and views for days without leaving more than 50 yards from our site.

Last edited:

Whtshos

Observer
TEXASOVERLAND

IMG_0846.jpg
IMG_0920.JPG
IMG_0801.jpg
IMG_0785.jpg
After completing the first weeks worth of laundry and refilling on water and ice, we went to the Ranger Station to complete our backcountry permits and get our first few nights nailed down 'till the rest of our group showed up. We stayed our next night in the site named Grassy Banks. The sunset was great along with the sunrise on Thursday morning. From here, we started into the park, stopping along the HooDoos trailhead for pics.
IMG_0976.jpg
IMG_1002.jpg
A nice walk into Closed Canyon was also a must, we were not let down.
IMG_0826.jpg

Whtshos

Observer
TEXASOVERLAND

We finally made it into the BBRSP proper on 15 Oct 2015 and checked into the Sauceda Station to confirm our itinerary and the understatnding of a group arriving. We set up near the entrance on the park as we were expecting late night arrivals from four other rigs. Rancho Veijos was only set as a rendezvous point. This turned out to be a really cool spot! We set up and made dinner, took a shower and waited. Finally, just minutes before dark, our first rig appeared.
IMG_1021.jpg
IMG_1042.jpg
IMG_1047.jpg
The sound of the windmill put everybody to sleep with its steady whirr and thumps..
The next morning, we made contact with the rest of our group, they had sleep deprivation happening and called a safety for some sleep. The two current rigs pushed into the Fresno Canyon site for a special sunset that we all had moments of silence while it happened. This proved to be a pretty technical road that cost a few nerves and taxed me for the day.
IMG_1062.jpg
IMG_1108.JPG
IMG_1779.jpg
When we finally made it out of Fresno Canyon, we eased on into the Sauceda Station for showers and awaited the rest of the group.
Our group showed and was ready to just relax for the evening. We all settled into the site of Esconditos Pens and enjoyed a large dinner and met new friends. We talked about our trip this far and had a few beverages. Three of the rigs had to depart as they had Mondays to attend to. We all said our goodbyes Sunday morning and wished them safe travels.
IMG_1096.jpg

Whtshos

Observer
TEXASOVERLAND

As three rigs remained, we still had a Sunday to fill. I had beat on the Jypsy (the Jeep) long enough and she was ready to chill for a day. I was not going to argue and neither was the Mrs. I recommended that the two other rigs take a run along Oso Loop and check out the scenery. My navigator, the Jypsy w\trailer in tow and I headed back to Rancho Veijos for a smooth departure home in the morning.
IMG_0952.jpg
IMG_1073.jpg
IMG_1797.jpg
The Mrs. could not leave it alone and had to get some aerial shots of camp.
As we left the park and hit River Rd, I realized I needed to get to Presidio and change out tie rod ends. I sent the two rigs on down River Rd. for pictures and would meet them in Alpine. Made it to a new Auto Zone and changed both ends in the parking lot, fueled up and waited for the guys in Alpine with time to spare.

I'm not sure how the rest of the group felt about their trip, but ours was truly AMAZING!!!! We both left a small part of our hearts down in Fresno Canyon and need to go back some day and check on it. No need for recovery, just say HI.

BlindWilly

TXpedition
Read your comments over on Big Bend Chat. I finally signed up over here :)
I'm heading to the Big Bend area again this March.

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
Man, you guys are making me jealous! I'm finally at a point with work that I can start planning a trip for the spring. Big Bend is definitely on the list. Just need the camping equipment. Stay Safe!

Rick

coastalcop

Primitive camp spot #5 in grapevine hills section of bbnp is awesome just got back from a three day trip down there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke