My DIY solution to the UEV 440

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Hello everyone. Some of you might have seen that awesome trailer in Australia called the UEV 440. If you have looked at it then maybe you have also seen the price tag on that beast; YIKES :Wow1:! Anyway, great trailer but not practical to buy, so I decided to use that as a model and build a DIY version as close to the original as I could get by looking at the pictures. So anyway, this is my version of that great trailer.

My build began in Sept 2013 and as most can attest it was an on and off project with some weeks hitting it hard and then some taking months off for life. So here we are just over two years later and I have got it almost 95% done. Of course there will be little projects to add or change along the way but, that's how it goes when you build your own stuff.

I stated with a great 4000# axle find for 100 bucks. Local trailer shop had it sitting on the shelf for years from a warranty repair that did not fit the application so the owner sold it to me for cheap. Has 12" brakes on it also. i will be cutting this up later to make trailing arms.

1.jpg

I decided to make the frame out of steel. I do not have the equipment to use alum and so far I have gotten with in the same range and the commercial trailer of this size and shape that are made out of alum. Here is the frame coming together:

The frame is upside down to allow me to work on the suspension mounts and mock-up.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Now in this pic I was trying to be cheap and I used scrap metal left over from a project I had done earlier. It was a mistake because after finishing the arms one of them bend inward over the 900 mile drive from Colorado to Texas. I ended up totally pulling them out and making trailing arms the right way as you will see in the pics later on. Here are the pics of the wrong way to make arms so don't do this:

4.jpg

5.jpg

Ok so I got those done and was able to flip the frame over and start welding the rest of the frame together. I needed to do this in order to be able to start framing the walls and such. I know it is hard to see in the pics with all the background things, but you gotta work where you can, right?

6.jpg

7.JPG

Skeletal walls going up:

8.jpg

9.jpg

Frame for kitchen slide out:

10.jpg

Ok, I just got the message telling me I can only post 10 images (thank you for implementing that admins, some boards don't) so I will continue this post in other segments...more to follow.

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Diy UEV 440 continued

More pics of the kitchen slide. I made this using skateboard bearings:

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

I know it is very hard to tell from this pic but this is the floor, the actual part you will be standing on. It's the main from of the floor with 1" Styrofoam panels between the tubing. Under that is 22 Ga flat roofing metal:

14.jpg

15.jpg

Water tank area being framed in:

16.jpg

17.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

24.jpg

More to follow...

Rutdigger

Watch This!
DIY UEV 440

Framing around the spring perches and a little metal skin work:

26.jpg

32.jpg

25.jpg

Suburban heater goin in:

29.jpg

28.jpg

30.jpg

Bottom flooring framed in with battery storage areas:

35.jpg

36.jpg

Beginning the side wood skin that will make the cabinet cubbys on the inside. This will help to keep the weight down also:

39.jpg

Shot of the rear with some insulation panels inserted between the framing:

40.jpg

More to follow....

Rutdigger

Watch This!
DIY UEV 440

Overall view so far before we packed it up and moved to Texas:

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

46.jpg

49.jpg

It made the journey to Texas:

51.jpg

52.jpg

Work on the front:

58.jpg

More work on the kitchen slide out:

61.jpg

63.jpg

More to follow...time to work in the Jeep a bit today..i will post more tonight...many more pics to post!

Rutdigger

Watch This!
DIY 440

Inside the kitchen slide area:

64.jpg

Folding table attached to ceiling:

65.jpg

This blue box is where the A/C line output is located:

66.jpg

Building the front bed hatch. The whole area is just a cpl inches short of a queen length and full size width:

67.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

Adding and taping off the insulation:

72.jpg

73.jpg

79.jpg

More to follow...

Rutdigger

Watch This!
DIY UEV 440

Makin the stairs:

77.jpg

78.jpg

Making the exit for the hot water shower exhaust:

83.jpg

This area was thoroughly seals with fire block before closing it in. will be a pain in the butt if I ever need to do work on it!

84.jpg

Rear door latch mechanism:

85.jpg

89.jpg

91.jpg

Beginning to skin the trailer with 22 GA flat roofing sheet metal. Easy to cut with a plasma and strong as heck. It doesn't weigh as much as you are thinking. Stay tuned for the final weigh in..

94.jpg

95.JPG

Shot of the side bed folded up. Now this area as it looks now will allow my 7 yr old to sleep in there just fine. If an adult wants to sleep in there they must allow there feet and legs to extend into the main trailer area and be supported on a fold-up support that will make the rest of the bed. But as it is now our oldest wants to sleep in his own tent outside so it works perfectly for us. When just momma and I go camping or when I go hunting that area will be used to store hunting camping gear out of the way of the main cabin:

102.jpg

More to follow...

Rutdigger

Watch This!
DIY UEV 440

Ok, I have come to the part where I told you guys are the beginning that I tore out the old suspension arms and built new ones. Here are the new arms made out of 1/4 wall square tubing. As the guys at AT have said before, these things are a bizatch to keep squared up when welding them:

106.jpg

105.jpg

107.jpg

These will have air bags in the springs to act as the bump stops before I take it out:

114.JPG

Side bed hatch folded down:

116.jpg

More skinning goin on:

117.jpg

119.jpg

Rutdigger

Watch This!
DIY UEV 440

The skinning continues:

156.jpg

This area will be redone later one when I realized that I could not waterproof the hinges:

159.jpg

161.jpg

174.jpg

Cabinet cold air intake vent for the outside of the heater box. This area does not produce any heat, just a vent for fumes and to keep the box cooler:

165.jpg

This will be the pantry area:

163.jpg

Redoing the front hinges to the ceiling lid to add them on the OUTSIDE of the skins:

177.jpg

178.jpg

Checking clearance with the fenders on:

181.jpg

182.jpg

Rutdigger

Watch This!
DIY UEV 440

This is how I feel sometimes while working on this trailer!..lol

187.JPG

Latch pins for the the side bed arms. These will also secure the hatch very securely:

189.jpg

190.jpg

191.jpg

191.jpg

192.jpg

Experimenting with the tent supports. Ultimately I end up just using one of these supports per tent:

205.jpg

208.jpg

More to follow.....

Rutdigger

Watch This!
DIY UEV 440

Its time for paint! I chose Monterliner and I highly recommend this product. Easy to use and a fantastic covering!

212.jpg

213.jpg

215.jpg

216.jpg

Added automotive seals:

217.jpg

219.jpg

Pulled it out to test the lights and see how it looks in the daylight. It's not even close to being done yet so don't go anywhere..lol. I know the tires are flat. I had to let the air out to get it out of my garage..lol:

227.JPG

You can see the bed platforms very well in these pics:

228.jpg

231.jpg

Beginning to pattern for the Shelter Rite canvass:

242.jpg

More to follow....

Rutdigger

Watch This!
DIY UEV 440

Beginning to make the tents:

Cutting out the patterns..