18 Jeep JLU Rubicon Possible World Travel

Bobzdar

Observer
The desire to bring additional cargo is exactly why I traded my jlur for a JTR. A JTR wil go a lot more places than a JLUR with a trailer.

If you're bringing a single dirt bike, you can probably load it diagonally and put the tailgate in mid position.

Having off roaded both on the same trails, the JTR is very closer to the jlur in off road ability, so that's not much of a concern tbh.

You will have a hard time crossing some international borders with two vehicles registered in your name (i.e. the Jeep and the bike).

Some countries don't let you do that.

Also remember anything outside the vehicle will get absolutely hammered by the dust, mud and sun, to the point it will be destroyed in a couple of years.
I don't have a mountain bike for that reason.

-Dan
Yeah but what do you know! haha! Thanks for responding Dan, that is super valuable info that I sure didnt know. How crappy would that be coming up on a country that wouldnt allow it...then what do you do?? Heart broken that this might be a problem but it also solves some problems.

The desire to bring additional cargo is exactly why I traded my jlur for a JTR. A JTR wil go a lot more places than a JLUR with a trailer.

If you're bringing a single dirt bike, you can probably load it diagonally and put the tailgate in mid position.

Having off roaded both on the same trails, the JTR is very closer to the jlur in off road ability, so that's not much of a concern tbh.
No doubt about it, a trailer is a huge PITA comparatively speaking. Not making a technical hill with a trailer could be a nightmare is just one example.

With Dan's info it looks like the dirt bike is a moot point now. A REAL bummer for sure, no other vehicle will get you in more places and in so short a time. So it looks like the JLUR is what I might be staying with.

I dont think it's opinion when I say there is no other pickup on planet earth that can match the JTR off road prowess in stock trim. With some kind of bed cover (camper shell) for overlanding I'm thinking there might not be a better setup. If I knew the JTR came with a 3.6L I would have thought harder about it. I didnt want a diesel.

nickw

Adventurer
No doubt about it, a trailer is a huge PITA comparatively speaking. Not making a technical hill with a trailer could be a nightmare is just one example.

With Dan's info it looks like the dirt bike is a moot point now. A REAL bummer for sure, no other vehicle will get you in more places and in so short a time. So it looks like the JLUR is what I might be staying with.

I dont think it's opinion when I say there is no other pickup on planet earth that can match the JTR off road prowess in stock trim. With some kind of bed cover (camper shell) for overlanding I'm thinking there might not be a better setup. If I knew the JTR came with a 3.6L I would have thought harder about it. I didnt want a diesel.
A lot of folks want more payload, that's where the JTR is going to fall significantly short for most seasoned international travelers and why there is no 'ideal' setup. Are you going super light and tenting it? What sort of gear you bringing?

Can't have your cake and eat it too....you want offroad ability, you dump payload...and vice versa. Very few rigs can do all of it outside of things like Unimogs, which have their own set of problems.

Bobzdar

Observer
A lot of folks want more payload, that's where the JTR is going to fall significantly short for most seasoned international travelers and why there is no 'ideal' setup. Are you going super light and tenting it? What sort of gear you bringing?

Can't have your cake and eat it too....you want offroad ability, you dump payload...and vice versa. Very few rigs can do all of it outside of things like Unimogs, which have their own set of problems.

How much payload are you talking? The JTR has 1200lbs payload (give or take 50lbs based on options) vs 900lbs for the JLUR. That's already with lockers, off road tires, steel bumpers, armor, sway disconnect, etc. The JT Sport S with max tow package has 1550lbs payload (also give or take 50lbs). If you start with a Sport S max tow - which has the upgraded rubicon dana 44's minus lockers - you can pretty heavily outfit it without running into payload limits. Even a JTR with 1200lbs has quite a bit of payload to work with given it already has almost all of the off-road goodies you need. Mine has 1148lbs payload, reduced to ~1050lbs when you factor in the winch I added - the only 'modification' I made. With the wife and kids on board, I still have 600lbs of payload to work with - that's just for camping equipment and supplies as the vehicle is already fully outfitted for almost anything. My (admittedly huge) tent weighs 160lbs, camp stove and fuel is 20lbs, full rotopax with extra fuel is 30lbs. My camp bag duffel, which contains everything I need outside of the above, is another 100lbs. Figure another 100lbs of BS. That still leaves 200lbs for food and water. With the JLUR, it'd already be 100lbs over payload before adding supplies. If I'm compromising significantly, I don't know where. The JLUR is marginally better off-road, so there's a slight compromise there (and I had both and can verify it's a marginal difference).

The only other vehicle that's close is the Chevy Colorado Bison, but it's 2000lbs short on towing capacity, and as I regularly tow my airstream the JTR was the better choice. Bison might be better, depending on what options needed, as payload is only 100lbs less than the JTR and towing might not be a concern.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Yeah but what do you know! haha! Thanks for responding Dan, that is super valuable info that I sure didnt know. How crappy would that be coming up on a country that wouldnt allow it...then what do you do?? Heart broken that this might be a problem but it also solves some problems.

What a lot of couples do is register one vehicle in one person's name, and the other one in the other person's name.
Works great, but it means you both have to physically be there for ALL border crossings.

Or depending on where you're going in the world, get a separate Carnet De Passage for each vehicle. Should be fine that way.

-Dan

nickw

Adventurer
How much payload are you talking? The JTR has 1200lbs payload (give or take 50lbs based on options) vs 900lbs for the JLUR. That's already with lockers, off road tires, steel bumpers, armor, sway disconnect, etc. The JT Sport S with max tow package has 1550lbs payload (also give or take 50lbs). If you start with a Sport S max tow - which has the upgraded rubicon dana 44's minus lockers - you can pretty heavily outfit it without running into payload limits. Even a JTR with 1200lbs has quite a bit of payload to work with given it already has almost all of the off-road goodies you need. Mine has 1148lbs payload, reduced to ~1050lbs when you factor in the winch I added - the only 'modification' I made. With the wife and kids on board, I still have 600lbs of payload to work with - that's just for camping equipment and supplies as the vehicle is already fully outfitted for almost anything. My (admittedly huge) tent weighs 160lbs, camp stove and fuel is 20lbs, full rotopax with extra fuel is 30lbs. My camp bag duffel, which contains everything I need outside of the above, is another 100lbs. Figure another 100lbs of BS. That still leaves 200lbs for food and water. With the JLUR, it'd already be 100lbs over payload before adding supplies. If I'm compromising significantly, I don't know where. The JLUR is marginally better off-road, so there's a slight compromise there (and I had both and can verify it's a marginal difference).

The only other vehicle that's close is the Chevy Colorado Bison, but it's 2000lbs short on towing capacity, and as I regularly tow my airstream the JTR was the better choice. Bison might be better, depending on what options needed, as payload is only 100lbs less than the JTR and towing might not be a concern.
That was kinda what I was hinting at, it depends on what yer' packin.

What a lot of couples do is register one vehicle in one person's name, and the other one in the other person's name.
Works great, but it means you both have to physically be there for ALL border crossings.

Or depending on where you're going in the world, get a separate Carnet De Passage for each vehicle. Should be fine that way.

-Dan
More good info. Still trying to wrap my head around the reason two registered vehicles cant be under one name??

I tend to agree with most of this. I know you had both rigs but thinking it might depending on the trails you run if the differences between the JTR and JLUR are marginal. Breakover, departure, and length are pretty important components for off roading prowess. I had a TJ prior and when wheeling technical (and sometimes nontechnical) trails here in AZ with my JLUR I can see the difference. Breakover is horrible compared to my TJ and sometimes maneuvering it is a chore. I would never go back to the TJ though, the JLUR is SWEET.

Still, for overlanding does anyone seek out the most technical hardcore trails or roads when in Australia, Africa, Asia, etc? My take on what I have seen is you take unimproved 3rd world routes that you know (hope) will get you to your destination and if you come up on technical situations you want a rig capable of handling it.

A JTR should be more than capable and likely a better overall choice with some aftermarket help in the bed like a camper shell of some sort. But if I could bring my bike I dont think there is room for it and gear, at least with a lot of fiddling. Maybe with a camper shell that extended with the bed down.

I'm thinking many MANY jeep guys are going over the payload listed. Passengers RTT, tools, winches, bumpers, skid plates, rocker guards, spare parts such as axles, food, water, on and on these things are loaded to the gills and I really havent heard of any issues with doing so.

Not saying this is optimal or the right thing to do but the reality is there, jeeps are holding up doing so.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
More good info. Still trying to wrap my head around the reason two registered vehicles cant be under one name??

The whole temporary import permit is for tourists to just visit a place for a short amount of time.
Customs people don't like it when you have more than one active with different vehicles. It sets off red flags that you're going to sell one of them, or do something else against the rules.

-Dan

The whole temporary import permit is for tourists to just visit a place for a short amount of time.
Customs people don't like it when you have more than one active with different vehicles. It sets off red flags that you're going to sell one of them, or do something else against the rules.

-Dan
Makes sense..my head is now wrapped. lol It's clear I need to learn quite a bit more prior to going. thx!

Jurfie

Adventurer
Still, for overlanding does anyone seek out the most technical hardcore trails or roads when in Australia, Africa, Asia, etc? My take on what I have seen is you take unimproved 3rd world routes that you know (hope) will get you to your destination and if you come up on technical situations you want a rig capable of handling it.

Well said.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

This perfectly describes my experiences in Latin America and all around Africa. You said it better than I can.
It's exceedingly rare to meet an overlander in a 3rd world country that is intentionally going "wheeling" or seeking out the stupid technical stuff.
When your vehicle is your entire house and world, and you're thousands of miles away from parts, or even someone that speaks the same language as you, preserving the vehicle becomes very high on the priority list.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94