1911 or Glock

J

JWP58

Glock is a good gun, but I cannot get behind a plastic gun.

Glocks are polymer. I don't recall every hearing of a M4 or M16 buttstock or handguard melting, evaporating, or dissolving. Pmags are more durable than usgi aluminum mags.

Not to mention the frame is the only polymer on a glock. The slide is still steel.

Storz

Explorer
I would pick a compact glock 19/23 , still big enough to be hand filling, more than twice the rounds of a 1911. And the real world differences in damage between the .45acp and 9mm or .40sw are very slim. Look here, http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/handgun-stopping-power
I know you said you would like something slimmer, I could point you to the new Glock 30s or the 36, but they are both sub compact.

Did just that a few weeks ago

pezuty9y.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Sempertoy

Explorer
How long is it going to take for them to show up? I have been considering placing an order if I cant make it to a blue code dealer.

Good question. My dad placed an order in January and they haven't shipped. They have a 180 day window.

VATACO

Adventurer
I like my Walther PPS, but a full size 17 rides night stand duty for me.

With the humidity on the shore of the southern east coast, I can't justify a nice piece of steel like a Wilson 1911 due to rust and salt spray.

Expedition Leader
With the humidity on the shore of the southern east coast, I can't justify a nice piece of steel like a Wilson 1911 due to rust and salt spray.

Both Kimber and S&W have 1911 models with various combinations of alloy and stainless steel, just FYI.

F5driver

Adventurer
The Glock discount is called Blue Label and it's available to more than just LE and military. The blue label Glock can either be ordered from Glock or purchased directly from any dealer authorized by Glock to sell LE models.

http://us.glock.com/bluelabel

Picaro

My personal preference is a 9mm Glock. There is nothing wrong with the 1911 but I much prefer a high capacity 9mm. I would also suggest looking at a Browning Hi-Power or a Sig P226 or P228 as well if you want a steel gun. Perhaps an H&K P30 or P2000 would be a good choice as well. I prefer the 9mm for a defensive round using modern hollow-points over a .45 ACP. Another gun that I would really consider if you want a .45 ACP for your carry gun would be an H&K45c or HK45. Larry Anderson Vickers of TacTV and a former Delta Force operator was instrumental in its design if that sort of thing is important to you in selecting a firearm. I do know that the US Navy SEALs are issuing the H&K45c with threaded barrels if they are not carrying the Sig P226. Either way I am happy with a 9mm Glock if I am going out and about.

The only thing I do to my Glocks is add a factory extended slidestop, a grip-plug, night sights (a must), and change the trigger to a smooth faced trigger if we are talking about a compact or subcompact Glock. Otherwise they are fine right out of the box. The only necessary change in my opinion is the night sights but the rest is icing on the cake.

Containerized

Adventurer
I carry either a full-size or commander-size 1911 every day all day

Travel a ton internationally (45 international flights per year), but carry a 1911 in every situation that allows/warrants it.

Have had many 1911's (4", 5", long slide, race guns, .38s, etc.) and I'd say "carry what you know"... if you're a Glock person, carry a Glock. If you're a 1911 person, carry a 1911.

Just be comfortable with what you carry.

As too many of us know, more people get dead because of shooter unreliability than firearm unreliability by a factor of ten in the real world.

Last edited:

Storz

Explorer
I've recently added an Insight M3 to my G23, looking for holster that will carry it close to the body, OWB

DSC09494.JPG

madmax718

Explorer
Shot placement. I love both, prefer the 1911- but if I could only have one and SHTF, glock. Hate the ergo, love the weight vs capacity.

Check out raven concealment they have a IWB/OWB convertible that will take lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier