1953 M101A1 RESURRECTION

FandL

JK ADDICTION
Congrats on a great build. You have achieved my goal. I want my wife to recognize this is a good idea.

I was lucky and was able to find a M101A3 that had never been deployed. So much of the work you have done, I haven't needed to work on as the paint is still good on the trailer and the tub.

Great rack. I just picked up the steel for mine and construction on the rack starts in 12 days. Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

She'll come around the first time you use it!

Thanks for the praise on my build. You need to start a thread on your build. I would love to see the condition of your M101A3. Did you get it at a military action?

Phoenix

Adventurer
She'll come around the first time you use it!

Thanks for the praise on my build. You need to start a thread on your build. I would love to see the condition of your M101A3. Did you get it at a military action?

I'm hoping that will be the case. My oldest daughter was part of a recent camping trip where we used the trailer 'as is' and came home talking about how great the trip was.

You deserve the praise, metric butt load of work accomplished.

Thread will be started in the next few days. Trying to make sure I have enough content. Also trailer is at a buddies house 90 minutes away, so I only have a few pics.

I found the trailer through Craig's list. The owner purchased it through a Military Auction. As he is a Marine recently back from active duty, I didn't mind paying his mark up. He even converted the 24s bulbs to 12 v bulbs before I picked it up.

This audience seems to enjoy the pics!

dstock

Explorer
I measured the width of the rear axle of my JK and then subtracted 6" to accommodate the 3" spacers on both sides. The spacers cover the axle hub and allowed my AEV Pintler Hubcentric wheels, to be mounted properly. The end result should be that the trailer axle, spacers, and wheels setup is the same width as my JK rear axle and wheels. I'll get you the exact measurement when I get my axle back from the body shop paint booth.

Post a pic of your JK crush. I'd like to see how you have your set up.

An amazing build!! I just purchased an M101A1 myself after being inspired by the builds on here. I am planning on the same axle/pintler wheel combo to match my JKUR and would love to get the axle measurements from you as well.
TIA!

FandL

JK ADDICTION
Great shots of the Jeep/trailer on the 4x4 beach, I knew that was wash woods in the back ground.

Staying on the 4x4 beach was awesome. And having the M101 to haul all the beach gear was the hot setup.

Thank for the compliment......

FandL

JK ADDICTION
Have you taken it out much this year?

Hi Mark

Not much this year. We did just get back from OBX but other than that no. I'm still in the process of fabricating the deck for the RRT. Where did you get the screen flooring for your?

FandL

JK ADDICTION
I’ve stepped up my game!

Well.....it’s been a while and through trail and error I concluded that an RTT is without a doubt the way to go. I purchased the Smittybilt XL Expo tent and love it. For the money and my families uses....it is the perfect tent for us! If anyone is thinking of this purchase, but haven’t heard the reviews on the Smittybilt XL RTT, I recommend it!

These are pics of the test run....

Attachments

• 485254EF-3A10-4D7A-98A1-392596968561.jpg
    485254EF-3A10-4D7A-98A1-392596968561.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 049F8CE5-5026-490D-985A-BFE3CEEDAAF4.jpg
    049F8CE5-5026-490D-985A-BFE3CEEDAAF4.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 106
  • C564F30E-A479-4A77-82A2-687E60600C77.jpg
    C564F30E-A479-4A77-82A2-687E60600C77.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 120

Theschist

I love your build. I have a M101A2 that I would love to mod up just like yours. Does the rack just bolt on to the tub rails? That would give me the flexibility to use the trailer for utility as well as camping (provided I can't find another M101 for a good price!!) Do you have any issues with the 35" tires? I am not too far from you as well, Punxsutawney area. It would be great to meet up sometime. I am trying to convince my wife to sell our small camper to fund a good build up and large RTT so we can explore the country.

FandL

JK ADDICTION
Sorry for the delayed response Theschist

Yes. The rack is bolted to the rails at the base of the tub. As far as the 35s go, the stock tires were 39s so downsizing posed no issues. The trailer tracks right behind me perfectly. I ensured the tires would be the same width as my Jeep as well so moving off-road was not an issue in sand and ruts.

I would love to get together... PM me at some point.

RE expo camping... I'm finding it hard locating places in our region to 4wheel in and camp. It seems the the west coast has the areas to permit the activity, whereas we only have designated campgrounds.

Good luck!

aussieantics

Sorry for the delayed response Theschist

Yes. The rack is bolted to the rails at the base of the tub.
Good luck!

Any chance you could post a photo of how you bolted to the lip of the tub? I am planning on the same for my M101 A1. Just looking at if i can also attach it to the top lip for a little more rigidity. Any issues with the weight of the RTT on top now?
Thanks for the build, will be using lots of ideas.

Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94