1966-1977 Bronco

xwerx

Observer
Does anyone out there use 1966-1977 era broncos as their adventure rig? Seems like this era could be a great platform.

If so could you post some pics..

Daniel

kjp1969

Explorer
I had a '66 for about 5 years. It was fun to zoom around town in, but I never put the time or effort into making it reliable enough to trust it. It was sort of like the Harley of vehicles: spend 3 hours working on it for every 1 hour driving it.

In stock form, the unpowered drum brakes were hazardous, and ditto the manual steering, so plan on upgrading both of those. The stock gas tank was 12 gallons- good for around 100 miles with the carb'ed V8, but 22 gal replacement tanks are available. Nothing major ever broke on mine, but it suffered from old-truck-itis- everything rattled leaked and squeaked.

It was fun when I was 20, less so when I was 25, and I sold it when I was around 27. I rarely miss it.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
They are an excellent choice if a short wheel base is what you're after. Most likely you are looking at a total rebuild because none of them are new. Spending money to get the rare options is wasteful. You can buy most of the desirable features from the aftermarket. Try broncofix.com for more info & what-not.

I followed one for ~500 miles around the middle of Nevada this spring. One of the best examples of the breed that I have seen or know of.
IMG_0517-1.jpg

Roughly 70 MPH:
IMG_0528-1.jpg

There have been quite a few on the market recently that looked good, but were easily picked apart. If you decide to go down this road I highly suggest finding someone familiar with their nuances and have he/she vet it before laying down any cash.

UHAULER

Explorer
I think the downside would be paying a premium for one in decent shape.

There are probably a million websites devoted to them if you really want to gather information on building one.

bucketosudz

Explorer
Look up Ted Nugents newest built Bronco! Obviously he has a unlimited wallet, but man does he have a nice ride. Built in part by Jeffs Bronco Graveyard. They have a Video of it, pretty nice, I might add.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
If your going with the eb, try getting one of the later ones, 76/77 then you get disc brakes and stuff like ps/pb rite out of the box.
just my .02
Paul

xwerx

Observer
This is what I am thinking about doing.

76 or 77 model
transplant a 302 from a 90 mustang (rebuilt)
OD automatic or 5 speed manual
3-5 inch lift
33-35 inch tires
Vintage Air ac unit
upgraded wiring

Just fishing around for thoughts. This project will not start for a little while, we have a little one due in October. :D

Daniel

cowboy63645

Adventurer
I nice choice in a vehicle, and congrats on the new addition! If you are looking for a vehicle that will work well in "expo" type of travel, and if your planning on taking the little one, I would steer away from the EB. Yes, they are very nice, came will a good selection of parts straight from the factory, and offer a good wheel base for trails and such, but there not the most family friendly vehicle out there. Just my .02

benjamin

Observer
Had a 1970 base model, 3 speed on the column, 302, ex municipal vehicle. I put on a set of Norsemans, Velvetouch brake shoes and never had to touch it again other than normal maintenance.
I lived in New Hampshire back then, 2 miles of dirt road back in the woods so I had to deal with heavy snow and mud and it never once let me down unless I got stupid.
It was my DD, woods truck and with a 4x8 trailer, my p.u..
30 something years later I still miss it.
If the size fits your needs you can't go wrong.

Dennis

kjp1969

Explorer
This is what I am thinking about doing.

76 or 77 model
transplant a 302 from a 90 mustang (rebuilt)
OD automatic or 5 speed manual
3-5 inch lift
33-35 inch tires
Vintage Air ac unit
upgraded wiring

Just fishing around for thoughts. This project will not start for a little while, we have a little one due in October. :D

Daniel

The '76-7 models are by far the most desireable ones due to factory front discs, factory p/s and p/b, and D44 front end (from '69, I think). You can put all of that on an early truck, but it will cost about a grand apiece. Check out James Duff for conversions- I ran a bunch of his stuff.

I would also factor in a new wiring harness and new rubber seals all around. The fuel injection from that motor would be nice, but you would have to change the gas tank, or modify it for the return line.

I would have done all this on mine (and I did some of it), but I was looking at spending as much as a new truck, but without all the quiet comfort, economy and a warranty. It would be much cooler, though. :)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Not to slight Duff, but they are far from the only ones out there, and more than a few are ahead of them in terms of parts development, particularly in suspensions.

http://www.cageoffroad.com/ford.asp
Headed by Jim Cole, who designed the Duff long arms and has since moved on to co-found Cage.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/
Jim and his crew are genuinely nice folks and they really know EB's.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/home.html
Chuck started out doing small EB parts as a sideline about 10 years ago and it has become his full time gig.

http://www.wcb4x4.com/
Ironically named, John Blaser, builds kits that a fair number of the other EB houses sell. Their shop is not much more than a stone's throw from Johnson Valley. They have direct exposure to everything from desert racing to extreme rock crawling, and everything in between and it shows in their relevant products.

I have met and at least casually know, or better, the principals at all of these business' and I don't think that you can go wrong with any of them. Without exception they are nice people who are concerned that you get what will work the best for your use. Reading that last sentence sounds pretty strong, but as I reflect on it I realize that it is very true.

NorCalBronco

Observer
Once I have some money built up, mine will be built towards more long range travel :bike_rider: I just did power brakes, power steering, and bent the top and doors back into shape along with all new weather stripping this last year. Still have to go through the drive train, but plenty big enough for my dog and I to travel in!

p1000360wv0.jpg

The Icelanders sure built them into reliable vehicles :D

icelandeb1pn5.jpg

78Bronco

Explorer
The early bronco is a good choice for expo for two people only. I would consider going with the 4.9L Inline 6 engine over the 302 for the fact that it is truly a med/heavy duty engine. They have a good torque curve and I feel they are more efficient in the working range of rpms. You can couple a small block ford ZF5 speed to the I6 which is found in early 90's F250/350. Maybe the engine bay of the EB is too small for the inline 6 but they are great motors.

I have a 78 Bronco which is far bigger but still a durable platform. It will be receiving a 4.9L and ZF5 spd treatment. I prefer the fullsize variant of the bronco because it has great stability when packing a load. It's wider and slightly longer in wheelbase. They are cheap to buy. A popup camper with a pass through into the cab is a great option for this truck. The wheel wells are huge. 35's fit with a 2" lift. NP205 gear driven cast steel t-case. Ford 9" 31 spline rear axle and dana44 front. Lots of aftermarket support. The stock transmissions are NP435 (4spd) and C6 (Auto) that share the smae bell housing as a 460 efi big block.

Camper_Bronco.jpg

This one is somewhere in Colorado for $4500
3456269_1.jpg

Have you thought about the 78/79 years of the Bronco?
131_0507_01_z+1979_ford_bronco+front

Last edited:

matt s

Explorer
I though hard about one before deciding on my blazer. The bronco fit many of my criteria for an expo rig, but fell short in one crucial area. I had to be able to lay down in the back and sleep. The bronco is too short for that.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Once I have some money built up, mine will be built towards more long range travel :bike_rider: I just did power brakes, power steering, and bent the top and doors back into shape along with all new weather stripping this last year. Still have to go through the drive train, but plenty big enough for my dog and I to travel in!

p1000360wv0.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior