1972 Mercedes 0309D Omnibus Van project in Beaverton, Oregon

rbgerrish

Nee-nuu Nee-nuu!
Hi folks,

I dont really want to sell it, or even need to, but I have my eyes on another prize! Here's the build thread so far:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/66381-New-Toy-1972-Mercedes-0-309-Omnibus/page8

OM314 Diesel, 5 speed tranny w/ granny gear, dually rear. Windows removed by previous owner, sheet steel added to make it a
van.

7750716994_ae682593c1_c.jpg

Pros:

- Engine runs great, starts immediately and sounds good.
- Tranny is good.
- Clutch is good.
- Air over hydraulic brakes work fine.
- All fluids replaced.
- (6) good used tires installed, clutch slave rebuilt, new bumper fabbed, diesel tank removed and cleaned, filter added, new wood floor, new insulation, new rear door fabbed with big window, new tail lights, new OD and black paint.

Cons:

- Rusty sections, but not terrible.
- Smokes a good amount under load, maybe it'll clear up once it's driven more.
- Slow, but that's how they were!
- Turn signals stopped working, batteries may or may not be charging. Havent looked into it yet. Some wiring might be required.
- No spare

I have a VW pop top to include, as well as a rooftop A/C unit that works on 110v.

Asking $4200.

Thanks!
Ryan

Vasir

Village Idiot
How big is the fuel tank, and what MPG are you getting out of it? Im a huge fan of thee vans, and i love the personal touches of the Portal on the sides, Ill keep that idea for a rig in the future!

MTDewX8

Observer
dam, I was just in Beaverton.
cool van.
good thing I want a 4x4. cause this has potential cause it has room.

I would also be curious on MPG too.
and when you say slow, does that mean OR fast is ok, but any other state you are getting passed sadly?

can it cruise at least 65?

Last edited:

rbgerrish

Nee-nuu Nee-nuu!
How big is the fuel tank, and what MPG are you getting out of it? Im a huge fan of thee vans, and i love the personal touches of the Portal on the sides, Ill keep that idea for a rig in the future!

I'm going to guess, based on a recent fill up, that the tank is in the 20 gallon range. I'll have to get back to you on MPG, to early to know...

I also have yet to max out the speedo, it doesnt work great. I'll hook the GPS up and get it out there!

Thanks!

Last edited:

rbgerrish

Nee-nuu Nee-nuu!
dam, I was just in Beaverton.
cool van.
good thing I want a 4x4. cause this has potential cause it has room.

I would also be curious on MPG too.
and when you say slow, does that mean OR fast is ok, but any other state you are getting passed sadly?

can it cruise at least 65?

I just had the chance to top it out over this last weekend, and floored on the flats in 5th gear it goes 55mph according to my GPS. No idea about mileage yet, I'll try to calculate that by driving it around a bit.

Also, when it warmed up it didnt smoke that badly, just normal 1972 Diesel Mercedes smoke. I also bled the clutch and it works great now.

MTDewX8

Observer
I just had the chance to top it out over this last weekend, and floored on the flats in 5th gear it goes 55mph according to my GPS. No idea about mileage yet, I'll try to calculate that by driving it around a bit.

Also, when it warmed up it didnt smoke that badly, just normal 1972 Diesel Mercedes smoke. I also bled the clutch and it works great now.

althought that is a really cool Van, I have found another. but on my next visit to OR and you still have it. I wouldn't mind checking it out and talk vans.

best of luck with the sale

Loco71

Observer
Very cool project. I'd love to come take a look. Interested! I live in SW Portland. Can you PM me your phone and addy?

Cheers,

Jason

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
$3000 takes her home!
Good grief, do you people realize how cheap this is? Per pound? Per cubic foot of volume? Per year since manufacture? Per hour of labor invested? Per horsepower? (OK, forget that last one. ;) )

Seriously, the vast majority of these vans are toasted with no hope of being turned into workable campers. This one runs and is titled and registered and not too ugly for the driveway. And, in the words of Jim Ince, who runs Eurotech Services and drove a similar van all over Asia a few decades ago, it has "excellent off-road capabilities, even without 4-wheel drive." Most important, though, is the size, which is small enough to be workable and economical, while being large enough to support a long expedition.

Now for those of you wondering why, if I am so smitten I do not grab it myself, know that there would, beyond doubt, be a inter-marital homicide if I bring home another project before removing an existing one. Hence my kibitzing instead of action. But I know something about these things, and the form factor of this van is a wonderful start for a long-range expedition truck. Usefully bigger than a Sprinter in every dimension, and a much easier buildout, FWIW.

I will, because I do believe in my opinion, contribute by supplying the new owner with my copy of John Speed's Travel Vans book (http://travelvans.co.uk) which, beyond being a great general expedition camper-building resource, goes through the step-by-step conversion of a very similar (albeit newer) Mercedes van, yielding this:

05892770.jpg

And be sure to also check out Nigel Evans van at http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/82095

OK, well . . . I've done what I can.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Heck, we can make this a pot-luck. I'll toss in 2 spare wheels (6x16) and tires (235/85-16) if the 309s use the 6x205mm stud patterns of Unimog/Iveco.
Ryan is a great guy, you can't go wrong with him.
I'm thinking with the 'Aperture Laboratories' already painted on the side, it would make an awesome rollin' lab . . . aka 'Bruch Schlecht' :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles