1973 Ford 4x4 - Help pricing my van

CoryQuackenbush

So the time has come for me to move onto another van and thus will be putting my 1973 4x4 Ford E-300 up for sale (I'd offer it up now but I will be out of town for the next month or so, it will go up for sale in mid to late April). The purpose of this post is to both gauge interest and ask for help on pricing. A few details:

- Engine: the original 302, switched from points to electronic ignition, gets a consistent 10 MPGs combined driving (which is one reason for the switch, it is my daily driver & that mileage hurts).

- 4x4: conversion was done in 2011 by a shop in Idaho using a Dana 60 off of a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500, BW1356 transfer case. It is my understanding that the transmission was replaced with another used (not rebuilt unit) at the time of the 4x4 swap, it is an automatic C6.

- Interior: Westfalia cabinet out of a 1980s Vanagon (stove and fridge work; the faucet, water tank, and pump are all there I just need to wire it up to get it working). I re-insulated the top this winter and the headliner needs to be replaced to finish that job off. There is a platform and bed in the back that I'd most likely convert to a couch/pull out for sale.

- Exterior: I've used it, so there are some scratches but by in large it is in good shape. It is the extended body of its time aka SuperVan. I replaced the original green hood with a white, I no longer have the green one. Personally I like the look, just thought I should note it as it doesn't come through in the picture. I will add that folks will want to talk to you in this thing (which can either be a positive or a negative, it was definitely a surprise I had to get use to). It is a head turner for both hippies & hunters!

In the time that I have had this van (3 years) it has taken from ID to AZ, from AZ to NC and back, and from AZ to VT and back to AZ by way of Ontario and the UP of MI; throw in quite a bit of local exploring as well and this rig has been pretty darn good to me! That being said the odometer hasn't worked since I got it so I do not know how many miles on any of the above.

I have two thoughts on how I might go about this; the first is to gut the interior and give the cabinet to a local kid who is building out his first van. This would leave an empty shell for someone to build out to their liking. In this scenario I'm pegging the sale at $8000-10000. My second thought is to finish everything off; headliner, running water, convert the bed. In this scenario I'm thinking I'd want to see more like $13000-$15000.

What does the community think? I am open to all opinions, feedback, and questions. Thank you.

Attachments

• Van.jpg
    Van.jpg
    584.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Mmm pie

Observer
The real question... how much more money would you make finishing the van vs selling as is? Now subtract for your labor and materials needed, then add extra for unexpected costs. Is it worth putting in the extra labor and materials for something your not going to use? If the profit margins is enough for you to finish it, I'd put the labor in and make some money. If you can provide a professional looking interior and polish the paint, you may be able to sell for low to mid 20k. Retro campers are a hot market now, and most buyers are looking for a finished product.

Deshet

Adventurer
What I have noticed is a lot of people like stuff like this but only a hand full of people have the money. It is a cool van but I think you will sell it for around $10,000. Banks are not going to provide a loan so you will have to find some into vans that has an extra 10-15K and that has the know how and money to finish it.

I have seen some unique stuff sit on this website for a long time that was priced fairly. If you go back through the van classified sticky you will see that 70s/80s 4x4 vans are all over the map price wise.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

CoryQuackenbush

The real question... how much more money would you make finishing the van vs selling as is? Now subtract for your labor and materials needed, then add extra for unexpected costs. Is it worth putting in the extra labor and materials for something your not going to use? If the profit margins is enough for you to finish it, I'd put the labor in and make some money. If you can provide a professional looking interior and polish the paint, you may be able to sell for low to mid 20k. Retro campers are a hot market now, and most buyers are looking for a finished product.

You pose an interesting question/equation, I'll have to run some numbers and see what I come up with; I value my time/labor highly though! Thank you for the response.

What I have noticed is a lot of people like stuff like this but only a hand full of people have the money. It is a cool van but I think you will sell it for around $10,000. Banks are not going to provide a loan so you will have to find some into vans that has an extra 10-15K and that has the know how and money to finish it.

I have seen some unique stuff sit on this website for a long time that was priced fairly. If you go back through the van classified sticky you will see that 70s/80s 4x4 vans are all over the map price wise.

Good luck to you.

That is my impression as well, that prices on these vintage & type of vehicle are are all over the place. I appreciate your feedback.

Needs more pictures of the van both inside and out to drool over but otherwise your price seems fair.

Looking through my phone, I guess haven't taken a ton of pictures of the van (I have plenty of random rocks & climbing action though). These are the best I can do for you right now Oldcarnut. The first picture is when I first bought the van, the side doors now have wood paneling and the cardboard was soaking up power steering fluid (the pump went bad and I replaced it with another KRC unit). The second picture is the interior, fairly basic as is but gets the job done. Note: Unless it is a big selling point, I will probably take the truck fridge for my new van & put in an original Westfalia unit. Third pic is really just for fun from when I was re-insulating the high top.

Attachments

• 247.jpg
    247.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 21
  • van2.jpg
    van2.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 17
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

CoryQuackenbush

Two more pics; the first after biking up Bill Williams Mtn in a snow/thunder storm. If I recall correctly wind gust hit 50-60mph but my friend and I made it up and returned to the van for bourbon beers & steak (this was the next AM). The second is from a quick climbing trip up to Indian Creek/Bears Ear National Monument in May. Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Attachments

• BillWilliams.jpg
    BillWilliams.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Desert.jpg
    Desert.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

CampStewart

Observer
I had a 1970 1 ton Ford van the same size and generation as yours. The engine was offset to the passenger side several inches and iirc it was 54 inches wide between the wheel wells. 3 on the tree and 302, full floating Dana 60. Mine was a unibody with no separate frame and was put to rest when the structure failed and the rear leafs started moving up into the body. I hope you can get what you want out of yours but I think you would do best by stripping out everything you can use or sell for reasonable money and get what you can for what is left which will not be what you seem to be hoping for. There seem to be a fair amount of 4wd van conversions for sale around the country via ebay and nationwide craigslist searches, I think you can get an idea of the value of yours by looking at what others are actually selling for not what the owners are asking. I think you will get a lot of people drooling over it as I am but with its age and lack of OD a serious buyer may take a long time.

CoryQuackenbush

I had a 1970 1 ton Ford van the same size and generation as yours. The engine was offset to the passenger side several inches and iirc it was 54 inches wide between the wheel wells. 3 on the tree and 302, full floating Dana 60. Mine was a unibody with no separate frame and was put to rest when the structure failed and the rear leafs started moving up into the body. I hope you can get what you want out of yours but I think you would do best by stripping out everything you can use or sell for reasonable money and get what you can for what is left which will not be what you seem to be hoping for. There seem to be a fair amount of 4wd van conversions for sale around the country via ebay and nationwide craigslist searches, I think you can get an idea of the value of yours by looking at what others are actually selling for not what the owners are asking. I think you will get a lot of people drooling over it as I am but with its age and lack of OD a serious buyer may take a long time.

Looks like it could be all over the place, price wise. I’ll offer it up toward the end of April (most likely on here & craigslist) and see how it goes. Thanks for your response, I’ll try to keep folks updated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz