1973 Wagoneer - Full Size Camping Goodness

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Any neighbors nearby, are gonna love all that racket!

Closest house is about 100 yards in any direction, plus, im just grinding during daylight hours :)

3 sides are done being stripped and are primered. My helper started in on the frame. I'll probably pull the axle and springs, but leave the rest assembled.
primer.jpg

Still not sure on what color to paint it. I really am leaning away from matching it to the wagoneer, because as mentioned who knows how much longer i'll have it. I'd like something that will blend in nicely.

Thinking about something along the lines of this bronze/brown color. Simple, clean, should blend in. The frame and wheels would stay black, fenders and tub would be bronze, interior of the tub and the rails will be black Monstaliner. (underside of the tub will be Monstaliner too). Thoughts on the color?

trailer.jpg

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Okay, so while working on the trailer I'm going to make another effort to fix the EFI issues.

The minimal help I have gotten from MSD suggests that its "because of the HEI."

I've procured a stock duraspark distributor that ym friend removed the mechanical and vacuum advance mechanisms from, and also drilled and tapped a set screw into the reluctor so it can be phased. See where this is going? $350 for an MSD distributor that is exactly the same mechanically as a duraspark....or a "free" duraspark that was laying around?

We installed this distributor on his truck and had an MSD Street Fire ignition unit controlling the timing. It worked, but he removed it to troubleshoot some other issues.

So, I have the right dizzy, I just need an ignition control unit and a coil. I'm hoping to pick up an MSD Street Fire as well, as its much more economical than a 6A or 6AL, and a matching coil. All that crap said and done, I should have an ignition system that is all happy happy with the MSD EFI, and also allows for timing control.

Fingers crossed that this gets rid of the surging and stalling issues....

pyrate

Rollin' along
Closest house is about 100 yards in any direction, plus, im just grinding during daylight hours :)

3 sides are done being stripped and are primered. My helper started in on the frame. I'll probably pull the axle and springs, but leave the rest assembled.
View attachment 441540

Still not sure on what color to paint it. I really am leaning away from matching it to the wagoneer, because as mentioned who knows how much longer i'll have it. I'd like something that will blend in nicely.

Thinking about something along the lines of this bronze/brown color. Simple, clean, should blend in. The frame and wheels would stay black, fenders and tub would be bronze, interior of the tub and the rails will be black Monstaliner. (underside of the tub will be Monstaliner too). Thoughts on the color?

View attachment 441546
Perfect color. Won't show all the dust and dirt easily and blends with pretty much everything.

Zeep

Adventurer
I like that color as well.
Good to hear you not giving up on the old beast. It deserves all the attention you're giving!

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Well, i got a bunch of ******** together to try and ditch my HEI and set up timing control. I'm going to run a modded factory duraspark, a Street fire ignition control unit, and a street fire TFI style coil.

I'm just conflicted as to whether I should try to work with the home-brew duraspark distributor, which will require a total investment of about $70, or if i should just cough up the dough and spend $350 on an MSD unit that I know I can adjust accurately, and is made to interface with my system.

The concern here is this may not fix my issues....so im duping a total of like $285, or $550 if I go with MSD dizzy, to "hopefully" fix the issue.....

not sure what to do.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
well, i went the cheap route. the parts have been acquired, the Ignition control is mostly wired, the modified duraspark dizzy has been stabbed, plugs all connected.

Just need to mount the coil, connect a couple wires, and fire the bish up.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Alrighty.

Initial test results are favorable.

Got the modded duraspark installed with an MSD big cap and adapter, and I am currently running big HEI wires.
Untitled by Marn, on Flickr

Inside of the locked out dizzy, where you can see the reluctor is phased.
Untitled by Marn, on Flickrn, on Flickr

MSD stuff

Anyway, got it all wired up on Friday, my buddy made me a mount for the coil that should work fine. Its all only temporarily wired in right now, need to go back through and shorten everything, put all those wires in loom, and also get some spark plug wire loom/holders.

Initial drive tests took a few adjustments to get everything from backfireing and popping under acceleration. Adjusted timing control to manage initial timing, max timing, and the RPM at which both of the above are achieved. Having a few issues with popping like popcorn when I am coasting or under very light throttle on the highway, but I'm confident I'll be able to make the necessary adjustments to get rid of all of that.

I drove it around all weekend and it ran fine, aside from needing to make the aforementioned adjustments. It starts up strong and easy.

It DID hunt on me once, but now it regularly fires up, tries to settle down to idle within a second or three, notices its a little too cold to idle that low, then bumps back up to about 800 or 900, then slowly settles in around 700rpm. It only went up and down a few times on one occasion, so I need to mess with a few setitngs I think.

either way, its running better initial, not cutting out on me when I stomp on the gas or try to merge into traffic.

Now, if only MSD would allow some programming to give it some fuel on deceleration so it would stop popping out the exhaust whenever i coast on the highway. But its always done that, and it seems common for other people too.

Fingers crossed for a resolution to the drivability problems i have had...

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Just picked up a M416A1 version myself. Got a set of old school military tires in the mail and have started to strip the paint. Looks like it was painted over at one point. Lots of surface rust but nothing at all structural. I’ll watch you and learn since it looks like you are about a week ahead of me on this project.

A369F9C2-5D43-4EBB-822E-8B217C7BBBBF.jpeg

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
The jeep is RUNNIN'

Long story short, the above changes I made, made a huge difference. Right after the work I did, I went on a trip that was about 60 miles in the dirt, jeep ran great. Been tweaking the settings trying stuff out, but overall, its good.

Still getting the odd popping and occasional backfire. Apparently having no tailpipe can contribute to this as the back pressure can suck clean air into the muffler.Aside from that, there have been no hiccups or drivability issues. I'm curious if my "eyeballed" phasing of the reluctor may be a bit past 15*, or a bit behind 15*, that few degrees could be making a difference here.

So, in an effort to keep moving forward, I made a few nagging repairs. I installed a larger pulley on my alternator so I can actually tighten it down properly. (yes, i know, this equals lower RPM on the alt, lower output, blah blah blah, it shouldn't be an issue I'm still seeing 14v at idle). This will eliminate the squealing belts and loss of voltage when headlights are on etc.

Then I went ahead and made new plug wires, and like some kinda professional, ran them in loom and separators. Got dang, it looks nice though! Next step for the coming weekends/evenings is to clean up the rest of the wiring from the EFI. I will be running everything in loom, and shortening a bunch of the leads that are way too long. Might go with a fuse block too, etc.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Also, I still have a new Edelbrock Performer intake to install, as well as new valve covers to clean things up a bit. That will happen this summer I'm sure.

No recent progress on the trailer. Been busy with other stuff, starting a new job in a few weeks, etc.

Darkrider

Adventurer
Glad to see this is still going! I may still go looking for a Waggy one day but for now am content with my K5 and Patriot.

Bobzdar

Observer
Awesome work keeping it alive! Unfortunately, I'm selling mine as I just grabbed a new Rubi, but love watching yours.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
No new work on the wagon but been purposely using it as my weekend driver. It's runnin' well. I need to get a tailpipe for it in the near future to kill the popping....

Also, I think today it'll be getting a new, albeit VERY DIFFERENT friend to keep it company...that is unless I come to my senses between now and 5pm.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Nothing special, and nothing FSJ related (except using a hand full of the same parts).

Picked up this exceptionally straight 1974 F250 Ranger XLT Camper Special from a buddy. Literally one ding in the bed side, and two small dings in the tailgate. Interior needs help, but I can take care of that. I'm blown away by how clean the body is!

390/C6 2 wheel drive. Thing runs great. Steering is pretty wonky, but I'll take care of that. Ordered some basich highway tires last week, and getting it registered today. I need to get the trailer stripped, painted, and reassembled before I do pretty much ANY work on this truck other than getting the tires mounted so we can safely drive it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles