1978 Zeli

HarryT

Adventurer
Does anyone know anything about a ZELI? It has an International 466 diesel, 10 speed transmission, divorced transfer case, 3 Rockwell axles (10 ton?), and 2 hydraulic winches. It was used as a line truck by a local utility company (63,000 miles on the working odometer). It drives and stops good, the equipment on the back doesn't work. I'm planning on making it a flatbed and maybe parking a little camper on it. It weighs 29,000 pounds as it sits, I think I can scrap around 10,000 pounds off it.
P1010012.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
How deaf would you be at the end of an 8 hour day of driving it? Seems like most of that type of older truck is mostly lacking in sound proofing though I've no knowledge of any sort of that particular mfg.
If not well sound proofed, could it be done easily?

Another thot, depending on how heavy of a camper you probably don't want or need the second rear drive axle. Remove one and convert the remaining to the same wheels & tires used on the front.

HarryT

Adventurer
Zeli

I bought this truck a couple of months ago for $1800 and drove it home. It came with a driver's suspension seat, 4 kw Onan generator, oxy/acetylene torch, 100 foot air hose, and a few tools. I've been driving it around the property (pulling tractors out of bogs, crushing old cars, and have winched a few stumps out of the ground). I knew the crane didn't work before I bought it.
I can work on vehicles this size and doubt that I will break any of the drive train. I have it registered as a farm truck right now but will change the tags to RV if I drive it out of state. My next move will be to remove the crane, oil tank, and outriggers. Clean it up and take my dog for a ride.

Mobryan

Adventurer
Mind over matter. If you don't mind, It don't matter :D

I'd take it for a good day long drive before I went too far with the project, it would be $200 well spent, IMHO. It would be a good way to both prioritize the upgrades, and decide if it was worth while doing at all. Maybe a cleanup day at a local OHV area? You've sure got the equipment to make a difference, if you can get in there :)

Though NOT cheap to rebuild, per Senor Suave, the DT466 is VERY durable, esp in the low output tuning I suspect your rig has. If it has top loader Rockwells, I doubt that it is a IH chassis, but I suspect it's actually a Severe Service chassis with custom bodywork. IH did make various military spec trucks of approximetly the same age and flavor, though :shrug: More pics might help ;)

More pics, please, and remember: Sometimes you just have to paint the tree purple :shakin:

Matt

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Had a further thot on this & figured I'd toss it out for consideration. It might be easier to put a later model cab & hood on the truck than to try to insulate + dust & water seal that cab.
FFT anyway......

Mobryan

Adventurer
adrenaline503 said:
What does that mean exactly?

I got that saying from my wife- her way of saying "dare to be different", "Think outside the box", "Be your own man" and a dozen other overused cliches about doing things your own way :D

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles