1979 Unimog Camper for sale in Arizona

XXXpedition

Explorer
pretty cool unimog - i love that body style...
but if i'd want a truck like that i'd want to build it myself.
they've been some neat places.damn i'm getting jealous... :)))))

Robthebrit

Explorer
I now own this! My house is slowly becoming a refuse for old Unimogs.

The truck is mechanically perfect, Eddi is a german mechanical engineer - need I say more? There is some need for body work, its a unimog so thats to be expected.

The camper, not my style, is so well thought out and better than anything I could build. Its a great platform to build from and has some really nice features which you think off by living it it for 18 years.

The camper lifts off as a single unit and will mount on a 1250 or 1300L so there may be an upgrade in its future.

For you unimog folk out there, the 416 truck by itself is a super rare version, it was originally built as a rapid response ambulance and has the ultra fast axles and the fast hubs. It'll do 65mph with small tires (41 inch) and 2800 rpm, if you crank up the RPM to 3150 and use big tires (46 inch) you'll get it up to 80mph (my other 416 only does 62 after the engine tweaks).

I'll post more when I get it

Rob

Scott Brady

Founder
Congrats Rob!

I would love to meet those folks and buy them dinner. Man, to hear the stories from 18 years on the road.

Blair G

Adventurer
Robthebrit said:
I now own this! My house is slowly becoming a refuse for old Unimogs.

The truck is mechanically perfect, Eddi is a german mechanical engineer - need I say more? There is some need for body work, its a unimog so thats to be expected.

The camper, not my style, is so well thought out and better than anything I could build. Its a great platform to build from and has some really nice features which you think off by living it it for 18 years.

The camper lifts off as a single unit and will mount on a 1250 or 1300L so there may be an upgrade in its future.

For you unimog folk out there, the 416 truck by itself is a super rare version, it was originally built as a rapid response ambulance and has the ultra fast axles and the fast hubs. It'll do 65mph with small tires (41 inch) and 2800 rpm, if you crank up the RPM to 3150 and use big tires (46 inch) you'll get it up to 80mph (my other 416 only does 62 after the engine tweaks).

I'll post more when I get it

Rob

Lucky! Now you need to head up the coast for a test spin. First beers on me.
Blair

Robthebrit

Explorer
Scott, you should go and knock on their door, they live in Prescott (what a beautiful place). I spent a whole day with them yesterday, they are great people.

They have the most awesome stories. They had a final drive hub bearing fail in the sahara, he had a spare bearing but step 1 of the instructions was remove the hub, thats a nightmare at the best of times, step 2 put the hub in a 10 ton press to push the bearing out. The solution they came up with was to use the bottle jack upside down on top of the bearing and the whole thing balanced ontop of the spare wheel lying flat in the sand. They then found the CG of the truck an jacked up the truck putting its entire weight on the bearing - fortunately for them 6 tonnes was enough to push the bearing. It took them 3 days to fix it and they knew it would only last a few thousand miles because the hub had lots of sand in in when they were finished. They made it to a Unimog repair shop and had the bearing replaced properly. That is an ingeneous solution that only school of hard knocks can teach you.

That is the only major failure they had in 170,000 miles and was due to water contamination.

Rob

Robthebrit

Explorer
Blair, I'll hold you to that. It'll take a couple of weeks to get it and then the usual issues with a Unimog and the CA DMV.

Rob

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
awesome.. and congrats Rob, that is killer.. I didn't realize it had the fast gears, very cool. there used ot be a guy around here who daily drove a 4 door Doka 416 version.. I worked at a land cruiser shop that stocked unimogs, both 404 and 406/416 diesel models.. I daily drove one for a week, a French 416 troop carrier, when I was doing the spring over on my land cruiser. Was a lot of fun to roll to the bars in that thing...

Blair G

Adventurer
Robthebrit said:
Blair, I'll hold you to that. It'll take a couple of weeks to get it and then the usual issues with a Unimog and the CA DMV.

Rob

Rob,

Did you get the camper yet?
Blair

Robthebrit

Explorer
Not yet :( its paid for but I need to find time to go to Prescott and drive it back. I'll probably do it at the end of next week, fly to Pheonix, get the shuttle to Prescott, stay over a night and then head out early the next morning.

Rob

Scott Brady

Founder
You have a place to stay in Prescott if you would like.

It would be great to meet up with you again and see the new mog. Maybe snap a few shots too.

slooowr6

Explorer
After reading all the Mog posts, I would like to understand the beast more, is there a good information site that I can read about its history, purpose and engineering information?

Robthebrit

Explorer
The only real info on the web is Eddi's web site which is in the original post in this thread. I have lots of details photos which I need to get uploaded.

The basic premise is Eddi is a German mechanical engineer and he built everything himself and then he and his wife lived in it for 18 years. Improvemens were made along the way as they learnt how to use it, what worked and what didn't. Of those 18 years it spent 6 years in Africa, 2 in Australia and New Zeland and a couple in South America. The camper is extremely well built and is in excellent condition after so much use.

The truck does need new tires and it does check in at near max gross weight when loaded. The fact it had no serious mechanical problems in 250,000 miles offroad stands as testament to the build quality of a unimog (other than the bearing mentioned above).

I do know some of its mechanical history, after the bearing failure all the bearings and hub gears were all upgraded by the factory to 1300 hub gears. The bearing failure went all the way back to MB who wanted to do a real world test by replacing the 416 bearings with 1300 bearings, the only difference is the 1300 bearings have 13mm rollers where the 416 are 9mm. The outer housing is the same but because of the the different width bearing the outer dimension of the driven gear is a different size which makes a slightly different gear ratio which means all 4 hubs have to be replaced. This was all done free of charge at the factory 15 years ago, if you were to pay for this it would cost $20k+. Its been back to the factory a few times in the last 15 years and they report that bearings and hubs are doing fine. The reason the factory got involved was because of a number of 416s, with disk brakes, having bearing problems when at max weight, the problem does not occur with drum brakes. It turns out that the 3 inch flange that is used on the disk brake axle was putting a lot of load on the hub output bearing and in the drum brake version there is no flange. The SSE Unimog used by the US army has this modifcation from the factory.

I replaced an output seal on my other 416 recently and you can see the giant bearing that I am talking about, unfortunately you can't see the gears. http://www.robanddenise.com/mogs/hub

Rob

Robthebrit

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
You have a place to stay in Prescott if you would like.

It would be great to meet up with you again and see the new mog. Maybe snap a few shots too.

Scott, I'll take you up on that. I'll keep you posted on the plans.

Rob

slooowr6

Explorer
Wow, that bearing is massive. 236 ft-lb for the bolts,... :yikes:
Thanks for all the info. Is their a good site to read about mogs in general? It's really an impressive machine. All the stuff on it is so purposefully built.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94