1983 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale- "The Little Blue Truck"

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Well, everyone else is doing squarebody GM build threads, so I might as well get in while it's still trendy.

Introducing "The Little Blue Truck" a 1983 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale with a 6.2 Litre Detroit Diesel. The backstory I got was that this truck was used on a farm to transport hay around the property. According to the PO, it only has 124k original miles. The body is in great condition with no rot (so far) and only minor surface rust. The paint is original and has quite the patina. It needs a detailed going through, but that's half the fun.

The PO hastily stuck a 6" lift on it, along with the oldest pair of 36" Swampers in existence. Extended brake lines were not on the menu I guess, so I had built in limiting straps for what turned out to be one of the scariest rides home I can remember. The steering wheel had mucho play. Sometimes it was to the left, other times to the right, all while going straight.

Here she is when I got her home.

After a trip to the tire shop. 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains with white letters out for that all American look.

Currently, The Little Blue Truck is in the garage awaiting parts. I'll detail what I found on initial inspection in a bit. I broke my leg in 3 places on March 13th and had surgery on the 17th. Lots of screws, and a plate later, and I am good to go. Still on crutches, so I am limited in what I can accomplish on Blue, but not entirely, so stay tuned...

Last edited:
Another square body! I think it's the right time to pay attention to these. They are just modern enough that you can make the comfortable, and for the most part the are still cheap. But nice examples appear to be commanding some decent money and I think the price is on the rise.

That looks like a really solid starting point. Part of me is envious of your short bed, but I have some sentimental value attached to my long bed (I started my "Green Truck" build thread a few days ago).

I'll be following along!

Great foundation to start with.

Is the Grand Cherokee still around? I haven't seen any updates on it lately, of course a broken leg will do that too!

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Great foundation to start with.

Is the Grand Cherokee still around? I haven't seen any updates on it lately, of course a broken leg will do that too!
Sold it to help fund my shop. I accidentally deleted the thread. Thought I was deleting a post. Oops!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking Chevy there Mr. Knudtsen. It almost looks like the little brother of my truck when I got mine. Same paint and all. I am looking forward to seeing what you do to that rig. Remember its not trendy with a a square body, its just the right thing to do. Cheers, Chilli...:)

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
First thing I did when I got home was to pull the vinyl flooring back. No surprise here... it was a soggy mess. None of the flooring was salvageable, and honestly, it really needed to go. No big deal, as I planned to replace it anyway. The good news is that the rust on the floorboards is just on the surface. My biggest worry was at the outer edges near the sill, but it wasn't all that bad once I cleaned it out.

I'll deal with the rust and probably use Por15 to seal it. After that, it's soundproofing and new carpet.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Nice looking Chevy there Mr. Knudtsen. It almost looks like the little brother of my truck when I got mine. Same paint and all. I am looking forward to seeing what you do to that rig. Remember its not trendy with a a square body, its just the right thing to do. Cheers, Chilli...:)
Thx Chilli!

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
So, all you folks that know anything about the 1/2 ton GM frames are aware of the cracking issue behind the steering box. It's almost guaranteed at this point that there will be issues if the truck has been driven at all. I knew this going into the purchase, and I was not surprised to find a crack near the lower right bolt hole. I have been gimping along with my broken leg, slowly attacking the issue. Today, I managed to remove the steering box, so I could start the repair process.

I pulled the front bumper for better access, and discovered in the process, that it was only held on by the wing bracket bolts...

Here, you can see my brake line/limiting strap. Nice thing about these Driptroit Diesels is that they preserve the metal in the front clip...

After a good wire wheeling, I found that the upper left hand hole was cracked, as well as, the aforementioned lower right hole. I stop drilled all the cracks and cut grooves into the length of each crack. Then, I welded them up and ground them down. Also managed to start a fire on the other side of the frame. Lots of grease to deal with...

In other news...

I collapsed those shocks 3 days ago... The rear shocks were on the front and vice-versa. Most were only finger tight. If you look closely at the mounting stud on the bench, you'll see how it is stripped out. The tierod end at the steering arm just spins and is super egged out. The wires were for a set of 4 Offroad lights that were mounted on a bar across the drip rails. No relays, just powered through the switches and plugged into the fuse box.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Looks like some much need repairs and some good progress. Looking forward to seeing new shocks installed and your frame all welded up arond the steering box area. Keep us posted with pics of your good work. Cheers, Chilli..:)

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Wow! The plates are welded in, but I won't lie, they fit like garbage, and I had a heck of a time welding today. Burning vertical is not my forté, but after clamping and bolting and hammering, it's done.

Also... check out my hifi system! I laughed out loud a bit when I found these, but the Quiet Riot cassette tape case in the glove box was the icing on the cake.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I'm waiting on a Borgeson steering shaft, so I can ditch the rag joint OEM unit. I have Bilstein 5100 series shocks, a huge Monroe steering stabilizer, braided and extended brake lines, and a new steering arm and draglink ready to go on as well. My ORD rear shackle flip in on the way, but I'll wait on that until I am all healed up. I need to find a good progressive rate leaf spring for the front as the current ones are bone jarring. I've heard good things about Tuff Country EZ Rides and Skyjacker Soft Ride springs. I know Chilli recommends BDS. How do they ride in an unloaded 1/2 Ton?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I'm waiting on a Borgeson steering shaft, so I can ditch the rag joint OEM unit. I have Bilstein 5100 series shocks, a huge Monroe steering stabilizer, braided and extended brake lines, and a new steering arm and draglink ready to go on as well. My ORD rear shackle flip in on the way, but I'll wait on that until I am all healed up. I need to find a good progressive rate leaf spring for the front as the current ones are bone jarring. I've heard good things about Tuff Country EZ Rides and Skyjacker Soft Ride springs. I know Chilli recommends BDS. How do they ride in an unloaded 1/2 Ton?
I really could not tell you as I have never driven an unloaded truck...:Wow1: I just know they can stand a total beating on the trails and come back wanting more. Great garantee too with a military wrap on the front springs.:)

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Ok. I'm getting ready to start putting things back together. One question I have is regarding the old power steering fluid in the system. Is there a preferred method as to draining/flushing the old stuff? Anything special with the hydroboost setup?

**EDIT** I found a good write up on a Duramax forum that should work since the hydroboost systems haven't changed all that much over the years. Basically, it involves pulling the return line off the hydroboost unit and adding a length of hose to that fitting on the hydroboost that will drain to a pan. Then, it's a matter of pushing the brakes and turning the wheel with the engine running, adding more fluid when steering resistance increases, repeating until the fluid that is draining is clean.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum#/topics/9081?page=1

Last edited: