1983 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale- "The Little Blue Truck"

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Finished repairing the power steering pump bracket. I figured out why the bracket cracked and egged out. Someone in the past forgot to put the spacer that goes on the stud behind that tab that broke off. This would have obviously caused the bracket to torque and with two belts in that pulley, it was the tab that gave. Basically, it was held on by 2 of 4 bolts. No way to get the belt tight like that.

CE1D76DE-611E-40B6-B0DD-AD1A462408D2.jpeg

C3695454-1E8A-4C74-BF5B-744CEAA8D68C.jpeg

CB60FA4B-16B9-433B-97C5-E2E1CFF551F2.jpeg

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Power steering pump is back in and everything tightened down as it should. No more belt squeal. Boom!

And, I have a water leak under the driver’s side dash from somewhere above the steering column. Boo!

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Ordered upper and lower radiator hoses and a new thermostat. I need to replace my block heater because it has corroded and is dripping antifreeze. Figured I should do the hoses while the coolant was drained, since the originals are pretty soft. Trying to decide if I should just replace the water pump and fan clutch while I am at it, for good measure.

Looking good!

I always had trouble with the V-belts on my 6.2L's.... I'm so glad that I have a serpentine setup on my 6.5L! You are correct... getting the pulleys in correct alignment will take care of your issues. The power steering pump is the hardest one to adjust and get to, which is probably why the previous owner didn't get it installed correctly.

Replacing the water pump is not a bad idea. No need to replace the fan clutch if it's not loose or sloppy; the coil spring can be bent slightly to adjust the temperature it kicks on and off if needed. I did that on my 6.5L and it made a world of difference when towing.

Case

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I had a belt chirp under load going up hill, but I had the AC on, so I think that the AC clutch engaged and caused the belt to slip a tad as the drag increased suddenly. The power steering squeal at lock and under acceleration is totally gone, which is what matters.

Also, my rear bumper and brackets shipped. It will be nice to finish up the rear end of the truck.