1983 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale- "The Little Blue Truck"

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I reupholstered the original bench and replaced the grid and springs under the bottom cushion. I also ordered all new gauges and dash bezel along with new covers for the seat hinges. Once all that stuff is installed, the only thing left on the interior is to come up with a solution for the ashtray opening. I’m thinking that I will make a panel to hold a couple 12v charging ports.

F66D0311-D012-406D-AE49-392E0A1777B2.jpeg

When I started...

1DBE8CA7-0797-4DD7-BA04-08A9E715EC3A.jpeg

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I installed the new gauges yesterday with some good results and a couple issues...

My truck has cruise control, but the speedo that showed up lacked the speed sensor port. Not a big deal because I don’t use cruise control, but it would have been nice if LMC listed the option on their website. The speedo needle bounces now. Looks like the speedometer cable needs some work.

Upside is that the fuel gauge now reads properly. It used to only go up to just a third. I thought it was the senders, but it was just the gauge. So, that saves me pulling the bed for now. Everything else works as it did previously, but now I have needles and shiny new faces.

Tried to get a decent pic of all the gauges, but the reflection was terrible.

4F58FAE7-636F-4E2C-8D40-5C5120957911.jpeg

I installed the new bezel as well. I couldn’t find a new one with the opening for the diesel related warning lights, so I had to cut one and use the old trim piece. Not perfect, but it’ll do.

E789B8BB-D7EC-4B2E-8846-FBAB22C0D6AF.jpeg

Next up is a gear change. I stopped by a local shop that has a good rep and reviews and got an estimate. Going with a Trutrac in the rear and leaving it open in the front.

Trying to decide between 4.10 or 4.56. I have a 700R4 transmission, which has a tall overdrive, but I am concerned that with 4.56, the low rpm 6.2L diesel will be revving at 70mph. I can’t really imagine driving faster than that in this truck. Either way, it’ll be a huge improvement over the 3.08’s in it now.

Next up is a gear change. I stopped by a local shop that has a good rep and reviews and got an estimate. Going with a Trutrac in the rear and leaving it open in the front.

Trying to decide between 4.10 or 4.56. I have a 700R4 transmission, which has a tall overdrive, but I am concerned that with 4.56, the low rpm 6.2L diesel will be revving at 70mph. I can’t really imagine driving faster than that in this truck. Either way, it’ll be a huge improvement over the 3.08’s in it now.
Great work refreshing the interior. Looks awesome. Little things like that really make it enjoyable to drive.

Gearing really depends on the tires. I don't remember what you are running, but if it is 33's I'd stick with 4.10's. If you are running 35's, go with the 4.56's. Either way you go the engine will be spinning faster at highway speeds than it would with the 3.08's. Using a gear calculator here's where those combos would be:
4.10's with 33's= 2046 rpm at 70 mph.
4.56's with 35's= 2146 rpm at 70 mph.

Now playing around let's say you want to go with 4.56 now, running 33's and might go to 35's later. At 70 you'll be turning 2276 with 33's.

Any way you slice it it's not a rpm that will hurt the 6.2. Lots of guys over on ck5 running a similar combo with good results. Personally, I'd go with the 4.56's. For a little cost in highway cruise rpm, the steeper gears will give the power back. You'd be surprised.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Great work refreshing the interior. Looks awesome. Little things like that really make it enjoyable to drive.

Gearing really depends on the tires. I don't remember what you are running, but if it is 33's I'd stick with 4.10's. If you are running 35's, go with the 4.56's. Either way you go the engine will be spinning faster at highway speeds than it would with the 3.08's. Using a gear calculator here's where those combos would be:
4.10's with 33's= 2046 rpm at 70 mph.
4.56's with 35's= 2146 rpm at 70 mph.

Now playing around let's say you want to go with 4.56 now, running 33's and might go to 35's later. At 70 you'll be turning 2276 with 33's.

Any way you slice it it's not a rpm that will hurt the 6.2. Lots of guys over on ck5 running a similar combo with good results. Personally, I'd go with the 4.56's. For a little cost in highway cruise rpm, the steeper gears will give the power back. You'd be surprised.
Thanks!

I am running 35’s. 4.56 makes the most sense for my current use. I am only considering 4.10’s because I go to Moab every few years, and I am thinking of the drive. I agree that the 6.2 needs all the gear it can get.