1983 Jayco Sportster 7 rebuild

Kmehr

Adventurer
Been a long time since I've been on or posted anything. I had a thread for my 84 Dodge crew cab cummins swap that I have finished and since sold. I got rid of it to jump on an opportunity to buy a 2005 Crew Cab cummins quad cab short bed, with NV5600 trans and only 123k on it from a friend who bought it new. The whole idea behind it was to eventually get a slide in camper, and the dream finally came true! We were looking at used, someday we'll be able to spring for a new 4wheel. Anyways, this last weekend, my wife and I got a 1983 Jayco Sportster 7. It's in decent shape, everything works, the canvas appears almost new, and we only paid $1,000 for it. If you have ever tried to buy a pop top camper in the middle of the summer in Colorado, you know what the market is like! Its got an ice box, 20 gallon water tank, gas furnace, sink with hand pump, and gas stovetop.

Anyways, wanted to start this thread to post up the rebuild and get some advice. When we got it home and started cleaning it out, I found a good bit of water damage in the front 12inches of the cab over, so project #1 will be replacing the wood up there and re-sealing it.

Eventual plans are:
  • redo the counters and cabinets,
  • replace ice box with fridge,
  • remove gas stove top (we plan on cooking outside most of the time on a Coleman stove, and can set it on the counter if the weather is nasty)
  • solar setup
  • install fantastic fan where vent is
  • replace lights with LED bulbs
  • add fourth jack for stability (has the original 3 jack setup that is scary wobbly getting into my tall truck!)

I'm a little overwhelmed on figuring out what my solar needs are. Ideally I'd like everything to run only on 12 volt DC power, as we will rarely camp in a campground where there is power to plug into. My thinking is I can use the truck to help charge while driving, solar while sitting, and use my car battery charger to charge the batteries if we're in a place with 120V power and the solar isn't cutting it. Does this make sense to do?

I'm also looking at electric wall furnaces, to run with an inverter- like https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cadet-C...l-Electric-Heater-in-White-CSC101TW/100078620 is this a bad idea for a camper?

Suggestions on around a 3 cubic foot DC fridge are welcome as well. Will post pics up next.

Kmehr

Adventurer
Made some progress yesterday, most of the cabover wood has been replaced. Getting close to sealing her back up. Used Kilz primer sealer on all the wood I replaced to hopefully make it a little less water absorbent in the event of a future leak. IMG_4427.jpgIMG_4426.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flon3y

Nice work! I just picked up a Jayco Sporster 8' today and will definitely be following this as mine is in similar condition. I like your idea of modernizing/updating it as you are in there.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Nice work. Any updates on your project?
That looks like a lot of water damage.

I'm in San Diego, considering a Jayco 7 "Sportster" a neighbor is selling.
Hoping our warmer/drier climate means less chance for this type of wood rot.
Also wondering what it weighs.

Any idea how to track down the weight specs on these older campers?

Thanks!

Kmehr

Adventurer
Sorry for the lack of updates, but yes! completely finished and have even camped a few times in it. It's awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 28

Kmehr

Adventurer
some more:

Attachments

• IMG_0228.JPG