1985 Canadian Bombardier Radio Iltis HF/VHF

Iltis85

I have a 1985 Canadian Bombardier Iltis, configured for VHF/HF work. I use the Iltis plus the M101 CND2 1/4 ton trailer for ARES work. Depending on the activity, I have it geared for either VHF or HF comms. The Iltis has dual military antenna mounts on the rear that have MIL whips for 30 - 80 MHz. The front HF antenna has a 16 foot Shakespeare whip that will work from 50 to 3.5 MHz, using a SGC automatic antenna tuner. For community service work, I just mount a Diamond 144/440 dual band magnetic mount on the front.

Obviously the front HF whip is only used when the vehicle is stationary. The antenna can be used vertically, or folded for horizontal use for NVIS communications on 40/80 metres.

When we take the vehicles out for public events such as air shows, veterans parades, etc, we install MIL radio gear such as RT-524 and PRC-25 for operations on 52 MHz.

For any Canadian members of the group, interested in trading MIL radio gear, send me private e-mail.

Cheers!
Stuart VE3SMF/VE8SMF/VA3YO
http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/photos/Stuart.htm

Attachments

• Conv_DSC_0752.jpg
    Conv_DSC_0752.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 438
  • Conv_DSC_0744.jpg
    Conv_DSC_0744.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 365
  • Conv_DSC_0745.jpg
    Conv_DSC_0745.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,607
  • Conv_DSC_0748.jpg
    Conv_DSC_0748.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 297
  • Conv_DSC_0755.jpg
    Conv_DSC_0755.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 284
  • Conv_DSC_0766.jpg
    Conv_DSC_0766.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Cool. That's some HF whip!
attachment.php

Iltis85

Iltis information

I picked up my Bombardier Iltis and M101 CDN2 1/4 ton trailer locally in Ottawa in December 2005. I have enjoyed working on both.

The Bombardier Iltis were manufactured in Canada in 1985/1986 while the German VW Iltis were manufactured in various years before and after the Canadian versions. Most of the Iltis in the USA are the German Iltis which are in better condition that the Canadian Iltis. We are very hard on vehicles in Canada and the salt on the road did damage.

The Canadian Bombardier Iltis will soon be eligible under the 25 year rule to be legally imported into the USA. There are some that have already been brought in, but they can not be registered, as they were never imported legally.

I think they are a great vehicle. easy to work on, typical VW design. The engine is a VW 1.7 L gas engine, but some folks have put in a TD engine, direct fit. All the engine parts are readily available. Lots of New Old Stock (NOS) military parts available. The manuals for the Iltis are available on CD-ROM, and cover all the repairs (available on e-bay).

There is a Yahoo Iltis group, which is an excellent source of information. I am one of the moderators on that group. In Ottawa, I have access to retired DND Military Mechanics who worked on them, so I no problems doing restoration.

I currently have one Iltis on the road, and another I am doing a full off frame restoration. I was able to pick up a NOS body tub in a crate, and it will end up being almost new, once it is finished.

The Iltis is a great off road vehicle, but not in the sense of a Jeep or Suzuki style. It was designed for off road reccee work, small trails. It worked well in Bosnia and Afghanistan, but was no match for IED.

There is not much on the Iltis I have not taken apart and been able to rebuild. I have not done a transmission or rear transaxle, but just about everything else.

Some have been modified expedition style, but I have been keeping most of my vehicles stock, as we do events with the army cadets and living museum work.

There have been many posts on this group on the M101 CDN2 1/4 ton trailer. It was designed for use with the Bombardier Iltis, and shares the same tire width and tires. The trailer pulls well off road with the Iltis, and the pintle hitch can articulate at 90 degrees going up and down with this combination.

The Iltis makes a wonderful radio platform, as it was designed for this use. It has a 70 ampre, 24 VDC alternator, full radio suppression (shielded ignition system) and 40 ampre radio power box in the rear. I run both 24 VDC military radio gear, plus 12 VDC amateur radio gear at the same time.

Cheers!
Stuart

Attachments

• Conv_DSC_0217.jpg
    Conv_DSC_0217.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 223
  • Conv_DSC_0215.jpg
    Conv_DSC_0215.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 248
  • Conv_DSC_0214.jpg
    Conv_DSC_0214.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 271
  • Conv_DSC_0219.jpg
    Conv_DSC_0219.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 228
  • Conv_DSC_0222.jpg
    Conv_DSC_0222.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 219
  • Conv_DSC_0227.jpg
    Conv_DSC_0227.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 211
  • Conv_DSC_0240.jpg
    Conv_DSC_0240.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 210
  • Conv_DSC_0242.jpg
    Conv_DSC_0242.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 164
  • Conv_DSC_0244.jpg
    Conv_DSC_0244.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Conv_DSC_0871.jpg
    Conv_DSC_0871.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 600

Iltis85

HF NVIS whip

Cool. That's some HF whip!
attachment.php

The front antenna mast is a 16 foot shakespear 120 MIL whip system.
http://www.shakespeare-military.com/milproducts.asp?product=HF

I have the Canadian version of the 4244-1 HF mount
http://www.shakespeare-military.com/milantennashow.asp?product=4244-1

This holds the 4 section fibreglass whip. One of the pictures shows the NVIS adapter, which places the HF antenna horizontal. This forces the signal upwards on either 40/80 metres and provides regional comms.
http://www.athensarc.org/fm2418m.asp

That is why you see pictures of MIL vehicles with long antenna folded over the vehicles. It is used for regional emergency HF communications and is popular in Australia, etc for comms..

Again, for anyone in Canada, I have extra mounts and other radio kit available.

Cheers!
Stuart

Tennmogger

Explorer
Hi Stuart,

Very nice vehicle and antenna setup! I really enjoy seeing someone preserve, and even enhance, the military comm vehicles instead of turning them into rock crawlers or some other monstrosity, LOL.

I have a Unimog 404 radio truck that's as original as parts allow. The only 'original' radio in it is the SEM-25 VHF transceiver, 25 to 80 MHz, and original antenna matcher, and antenna. However, I have installed various modern equipment as needed for a specific situation. Have used it for ham radio, Field Day, ARES work, Red Cross comm support, and volunteer comms at events like that bike ride you showed. Such events are fun to do, provide the great satisfaction of helping out, and put the vehicle in the public view.

Would you have any pictures of the radio setup in the vehicle? How do you provide 12 vdc off the 24 v vehicle?

Thanks,

Bob
WB4ETT

I have a 1985 Canadian Bombardier Iltis, configured for VHF/HF work. ...chopp...

Last edited:

ferrett

87 Iltis electrical problems

Anyone offer any suggestions... Moving shortly to QC and have to get the Iltis going. Started shutting down and restarting later on. Last year shut down and that was it. Is getting fuel, have changed out CID, still no luck. Seems to have power going off the distributor??

had found some info last year about using after market VW parts to get me by until I can go back to stock parts, but cannot find this info any longer (wires, plugs, coil, etc)

gary in ohio

Explorer
Nice HF antenna, The AT-1011 are a nice HF solution. I have run them mobile in the 12ft config and they work out nice, the 16ft config needs to be bend over before going mobile. Normally I run a GTE Whip at 9ft for my HF mobile.

nice pix of your rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior