1985 Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel Pickup

Hi, I am Spence and I am a noob.

I am just finishing up some work on my expedition rig. It seems like a never ending process and it has taken about 3 years to get to where I am at. Here is a quick run down of what I have done so far.

I started out with a 1985 Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel Pickup. The Turbo Diesel engine is a Mitsubishi 2.3 liter or more commonly known as a 4D55. This motor came in the truck from the factory and produces 84 hp and 136 ft. lbs. in it's stock configuration.

I bought the truck back in July of 2003 and have used it as my daily driver ever since and plan to use it as such in the future. When I bought it, the torsion bars were cranked, it had shackle lift in the rear, and a 3" body lift for a total of 6" of lift. It had 33" tires, 4.88 gears and the front fenders were heavily trimmed.

Since the spring of 2008 it has undergone a complete make over inside and out. There is so much it is impossible to remember everything. but here are a few of the mods.

Engine
4D56 head with roller rockers, ported and polished
4D55 PerformanceTD04 Watercooled turbo conversion
4D55 Performance H.O. injection pump
Custom Intercooler
3" exhaust
4D55 Performanceair intake
Custom brake booster

Tranny
FM145 Transmission Swap from a 1987 Ford Ranger Married to a Atlas 5:1 Transfercase
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
Tatton's Drive Shafts
Belly Skid

Axles and Suspension
2008 JK Crate axles from Mopar Performance
Elockers
Disc Brakes
Fox Coilover with remote resiviors up front
Trail Gear Leaf Springs in the Rear
Custom long arm suspension setup
Electronic disconecting sway bar up front off a 2008 Rubicon
5.13 gears
(It has about 13" of lift)

Other
Restored interior retro interior
4D55 Performance Battery relocation kit
4D55 Performance Oversized friberglass front fenders
Stinger Battery
Rocklizard Sliders
General Grabber Competions 33x12.50x17
XD Addict Wheels

Here's a few pics of me at Moab in the old configuration, before the SAS and suspension lift.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

As she sat back in 2008 with the Jeep wheels, it may look good in the picture but I demand perfection so the bed had to go. The bed was beyond all hope. It had 500 holes drilled on the inside and in the bottom from the previous owner.

picture.php

Here is what it looks like currently with all the modification with the roof rack, wheels, rocksliders and bumpers. It's always a work in progress. I have since swapped out the bed for one in much better condition, and I have started prepping it for paint.

4685921469_42d5567a95.jpg

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Hey Spence, good to see you over here. I'm getting ready to buy that new 4D56T crate motor next week. Can you tell from the pics if it is the water cooled turbo?

Thanks for your kind words, I have put alot of hard work into this truck. I still need to get a Backie Rack so I can mount my Mombasa Roof Top Tent over the bed of the truck.

I also think Santa's gonna bring me something really nice for the truck this year.:D

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
My dad bought one of these brand new in 1985, best mini truck I have ever driven. Fast, handled excellent, got good mileage, and was a hoot to drive on windy roads.

It's very nice designing and good body structure.I would like to to buy this truck.

Thanks, but I think it probably out of most people price range. There is a lot more to this truck than first meets the eye. I have spent more on it this truck than I should have, but it is my dream truck. I still need to finish the body work but I am sure the day will come that I will sell it. But you never know, if the right offer came along, it would be hard to pass up.

chironico

4d55 help

Very impressive a friend and I are trying to figure out how to turn his 4d55 up without overheating (on a budget) can we bolt on the turbo upgrade and intercooler only? also what are the dimensions of your intercooler any help wouls be greatly appreciated.

Wow, it's been a long time since I posted an update about the pickup. The last 10 months have been hectic and trying. In April I bought a two tone brown 1991 Montero and a Mombossa Roof Top Tent. I took it out and enjoyed it with the family several times. In June my wife and I took job laterals and we bought a new house in the Salt Lake area. Hopefully this new home will allow me to have more space to work on my toys. After owning the 1991 Montero I quickly realized I liked it, so much I decided to upgrade to a Gen II.5 Montero. I searched all the classifieds from coast to coast for 3 months before I found a suitable replacement for the 1991 Montero. I was able to locate a 2000 Montero Endeavor with just 26K miles. O I plan to do an overlanding build with a RTT and a few other goodies. I am really excited to get started on my new project, but I also need to get my truck registered first so I can drive it.

The 1991 Montero I bought in April and sold in October of this year. This Montero was fantastic to my family and I, but I needed 7 seats and fewer miles
6118688604_bc1cf7515e_z.jpg

6118692430_7e01b9bd3b_z.jpg

Someone has bedhead
6118694312_2f399ec44b_z.jpg

I was very lucky to find a place on 1.2 acres so close to Salt Lake, there is plenty of space to put up a nice shop.
5712336938_7e3b457db9_z.jpg

My newest toy, a 2000 Montero with just 26K miles.
6285221638_f7b6649808_z.jpg

6285225976_94ae1fb573_z.jpg

This thing is very clean, it was owned by a couple in there 70's
6285221724_c8ab182d14_z.jpg

Like I said, it has just 26K miles
6284701303_ef1e953208_z.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior