1987 4Runner- Expedition Build Up.

RU55ELL

Explorer
The bad thing about an auto locker is when you need to turn. You have to back off the throttle a bit to get the locker to disengage to be able to turn without needing Popeye arms.

I need to quiz the minds of the collective 4runner gurus...

So, the truck is sitting on stock rear springs with 2" blocks, a long AAL (added last weekend), and a short AAL. Which is about 3.5-4" of lift in the rear.

Looks good, feels good. I like it............ but two problems.

The added lift has put a tremendous amount of tension on the emergency brake line... I cant adjust it at the adjuster (caked with undercoating).... what should I do?

Second, and more serious problem. There is a new and decent amount of vibration coming from the driveline (similar to bad U-joints---- but mine are new and checked to be OK). I contribute the vibration to the lift and the necessity for shims.
Of course, I did not do any measurements and have NO idea what size shim to get?!?

corax

Explorer
upgrade your ebrake to a AllPro's transfer case e-brake?

parkingbrake-400.jpg

Is the vibration there all the time or only when on the gas? I agree that the vibration is probably due to driveline (u-joint) angles, but I can't help much with what degree shim you need - no experience on my own vehicles. Though you could reduce the pinion angle by using extended length shackles instead of the lift blocks. Here's a good article on leaf spring shackles and how different lengths affect everything

Depending on my job situation, there wont be much money going into the 4runner this winter.... Focus will be swapped over to the cruiser. But I do need to get a few issues worked out on it though. I like the idea of the TCase brake.

The vibration is primarily felt at hwy speeds, and when no power is being sent to the axle, ie. taking foot off gas and decelerating.
But, it is felt while just driving.

upgrade your ebrake to a AllPro's transfer case e-brake?

parkingbrake-400.jpg

Is the vibration there all the time or only when on the gas? I agree that the vibration is probably due to driveline (u-joint) angles, but I can't help much with what degree shim you need - no experience on my own vehicles.

RU55ELL

Explorer
I would imagine that the 3 degree shims would be fine. Those 8s look like way too much for correcting after AALs.

EDIT: As for the cables, I had the same problem when I put the chevys on my 86. I ended up extending the brackets and lengthening the cable with a small piece of cable and ferrules.

Bergger

Explorer
I recently put an OME suspension in my 87 4Runner and have a driveline vibration too. Its usually at higher speeds and only when coasting. When I'm on the gas pedal it's smooth.

corax

Explorer
When you're on the gas the pinion rotates up a slight bit, reducing the pinion angle. When you're coasting (decel) the the driveline and rear tires are trying to slow you down a bit and the pinion rotates downward, increasing pinion angle and giving you a vibration.

I wonder if a traction bar would prevent that a bit - it would also help with the wheel hop you might get with those lift blocks. This pic would be under acceleration. The lift blocks act as a lever, increasing the "twisting" force on the spring when you give it gas. By the same token under decel the lift block help twist the spring the other way, increasing pinion angle.
axlewrap.gif

corax

Explorer
what lights are you running? You could easily upgrade to a Turbo MR2 alternator - I think it's just a matter of changing the alternator plug, easy upgrade to 100 or 120 amp

what lights are you running? You could easily upgrade to a Turbo MR2 alternator - I think it's just a matter of changing the alternator plug, easy upgrade to 100 or 120 amp

2 Hella Rallye 2000 on the roofrack and 2 Hella 500s on the bumper. The bumper lights are just about worthless though... they are not aiming at anything useful.... Need to figure something out.

Any idea of what year range for the MR2 alternator?

bendersfab

Supporting Sponsor
So, I found an Aussie locker for the front differential for cheap....... should I consider getting that or hold off to get a rear locker? I found the need for a locker several times.... but refuse to pay for ARB....:Wow1:
Start with the rear. If you are thinking ratchet type lockers, keep it in the rear axle. As for the front axle, save up a few more dollars and purchase a selectable locker for the front. I personally have blown a Lock Right during a snow run only 6 months after install due to 3 of the springs breaking through the metal housing/keeper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94