1988 F-250 Adventure Rig Build Up

txnight

Adventurer
Well, I'm trying to get over my habit of being a lurker. I have built up a few rigs over the years and I have one in the works right now that I'm excited about. This is meant to serve as a reminder to myself and an encouragement to you other builders who are struggling with an issue. I feel your pain.

Growing up in Arkansas I had lots of trucks to feed, farm, hunt or just drag into the school parking lot. After college I moved to Dallas for work and I have kept myself busy with small projects.

So, this was my short mission statement.
#1. Build up something that has A/C and doors.
#2. Needs to be 4x4. Not going to live my high school days with 40inch swampers but I do get out in the country.
#3. $6K total budget.
#4. Something that could tow trailers around the farm.
#5. Perform all the work myself.

I set off to Craigslist with $2k and started looking. After a couple months, a few test drives and a six pack with the owner I drug Waldo back to my shop.

H66mH4Q.jpg

Waldo was purchased because it checked 3.5 boxes out of 4. It is a 1988 Ford F-250HD with the 460. Of course the A/C doesn't work but most everything else ran fine. It was a tired and honest farm truck that needed everything.
The previous owner bought it new and sold it to me for $1100 and a Cowboys jersey that I had in the back seat of my truck. I'm not making that last part up. With Waldo back at home base I started the tear down.

You mean everyone doesn't use mudflaps as interior mats?

wXI95LN.jpg

From the pretty side view you can tell that the hood and both fenders are dented from god knows what. It did however act as an effective boat anchor to wind synthetic rope on the Scrambler.

Eqsfhiz.jpg

One thing lead to another and with the left over room in my budget I set plans to completely rebuild the truck.

C2B4OGz.jpg

Project list is as follows.

Repair/replace everything. It's really that simple. To make this a reliable rig I'm starting over and I'm sure I will blow thru my 6k budget in the process.

As of now I have done the following.
1. Found nice fenders, hood, head lights, and seats out of a donor 1991.
2. Done the body work and shot primer on the cab, fenders and hood.
3. Stripped all the paint off the 8ft flatbed. No primer on it yet as I'm undecided on how to finish it out.
4. Frame and all undercarriage has been blasted/flap disked to remove rust and 25 years of North Texas mud.
5. Sprayed everything underneath with rust reformer and topped it with Rustoleum hammered black. I highly recommend it. In the past I used POR 15 on a boat trailer and while impressive it wasn't worth it.
6. Rear axle got new fluids, a few new springs, shocks, u-bolts, wheel studs, new bushings all around.
7. Installed a parking brake cable and assorted linkage. It was MIA when I bought the truck.
8. All new brake lines front to rear.
9. Installed a new radio, stereo wiring and speakers. My wife likes her music and while a radio doesn't mean anything to me it is a must have item for her.
10. Primer and paint for the mirrors, handles, grill, etc.
11. All new door linkage, locks, striker plates, etc. Truck had no working locks when I bought it.
12. Found some newer Chevy steel wheels for $60.
13. Installed Warn hubs in the front.
14. New gaskets everywhere and fluids throughout. P.S. the oil pan gasket is a nightmare on this engine. I wish I would have just left it alone.
15. New Battery and cables, new solenoid, and starter while I was in there.
16. Dropped both fuel tanks and cleaned and treated the interior of both.
17. Front end got all new bushings, shocks, springs, fluids, etc.
18. New body mounts installed.
19. Pulled off cracked manifolds on both sides, replaced with headers and welded up all new exhaust while I was in the mood.

That about concludes what I have completed since 7/1/2013. Up until two weeks ago I was feeling pretty good about my progress. Going to go ahead and post this mess before my computer dies or something. Will continue the ugly part of the story in the next post.

Bill D.

Last edited:

txnight

Adventurer
continued......

Two weeks ago I was feeling like I might get this rig running in a few months and begin concentrating on the camping setup for the flatbed. That was until the electrical gremlins begin to raise their ugly head. Despite all my research and fiddling I just couldn't get the truck to start. Having spent two weeks testing wires, grounds, pulling codes, testing spark, fuel pressure and pulling my hair I have decided to use part of my precious budget to install a new wiring harness.

After pulling all the old wiring out I feel good about my decision. I found awful splices, solid household wiring hidden behind electrical tape, more mouse stuffing in all the little places I hadn't touched yet. As the truck sits now it doesn't have any engine wiring left except for the EFI harness. I also removed all the old wiring to the bed and tail lights. While all the wiring is out I'm going to do my best to paint the firewall with the engine still in place and begin to dismantle the heater and A/C components and lines. When the truck was up and running I could only get air to blow out of the defroster. Research tells me that means that I have a vacuum leak somewhere and the compressor didn't even try to kick on when the A/C was turned on so I'm sure it's dead too. Not having A/C is a deal killer in the Texas heat so it will get replaced while I'm on this fun journey.

There are surprisingly few options as far as wiring harness kits are concerned. Calling around to all the big and small companies has yielded two best options.

Ron Francis has two kits available. The bare bones kit would work fine for my truck.
http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BB-78

They also have this kit which adds circuits and fuses.
http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=XP-725

That's how this project stands at this time. In the future I will have more jokes, less writing and more pictures. Please make some suggestions and critiques on anything you see here.

Take care, Bill D.

Acetylene

Explorer
Im a sucker for an old Ford and even more so for a homemade rig. Ill be watching this thread for more. Thanks for sharing.

txnight

Adventurer
Reading thru the pages of internet wisdom I stumbled across the EZ Wiring Company. Several people have assured me that the EZ 21
18 FUSES 21 CIRCUIT will do what I need for this simple set up.

Here's a link: http://ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html

Differences between the Ron Francis kit and EZ Wiring.
1. I will have to reuse or source new plugs. If this was my daily driver this alone might be a deal killer.
2. Less color on their directions.
3. $204 delivered v. $515 delivered.

I'm sure the Francis Kit is a better product but hopefully it isn't $300 dollars better.

Kit should arrive Friday and I will start laying everything out over the weekend.

Bill D.

txnight

Adventurer
Thanks for the comments everyone. Please make some suggestions as I go along.

This is what 25 years of riding with the windows down looks like. After seeing this I can't help but remove all of the dash and A/C Vents so that I can clean it and put back together correctly.
oh43BQwl.jpg

Yesterday I removed all the old plugs that I might need to reuse and removed the tail light wiring. If I work on this for 1 hour a night I don't get frustrated. Much respect to the guys that get a wiring harness removed and installed over a weekend.

Bill D.

Rot Box

Explorer
One thing you might want to consider while you have things apart is replacing the ignition switch actuator rod. They are buried inside the steering column and are famous for breaking on this era of pickup. One of Fords better ideas... If it does break the key switch no longer functions and the ignition box is stuck in whatever position it broke in. You can push the actuator rod by hand in a pinch but it's a pain. Not a difficult repair just time consuming. I repaired mine in less than two hours if I remember right.

txnight

Adventurer
One thing you might want to consider while you have things apart is replacing the ignition switch actuator rod. They are buried inside the steering column and are famous for breaking on this era of pickup. One of Fords better ideas... If it does break the key switch no longer functions and the ignition box is stuck in whatever position it broke in. You can push the actuator rod by hand in a pinch but it's a pain. Not a difficult repair just time consuming. I repaired mine in less than two hours if I remember right.

Thanks for the heads up on that part. My column has some common issues like the wheel wont stay tilted and the little cable that connects to the Park, Reverse, Drive indicator is broken. There is a company out of San Antonio that rebuilds them and sells the whole column for $375 with new keys. Strongly considering going that route. Take a look and tell me what you think.

http://www.prosteeringcolumns.com/rebuilt-steering-columns.php

I had my rod fail (hahahaha...so I took a blue pill) and the truck just wouldn't start one morning...lots of hair clumps later I found the broken rod. I would defiantly do it now for peace of mind. The worst part was the little special puller collet thingy that takes the pins out of the port/starboard of the column IIRC. I see the puller on the Snap On truck wall all the time, you also can caveman the steering wheel off (as my helpful neighbor did) with a brass 1# hammer and some freaking out on the wheel, or use a puller!!!

I would also recommend changing the headlight switch while you are there, every pre-1992 ford I have ever had needed one while I had it, I started carrying a spare until I replaced it!! You may have already done so though...these threads are all blending in my head!

You would be terribly well served to clean before re-assembly, I clean and "spoof can" everywhere I go a-fixin so that I feel confident that it is the best that money/time can allow.

With the harness....be patient, check on the Ford forums before you cut anything, and use lots of temporary jumper connections for testing so that you don't waste connectors and wire length....also.....forget that they even make Scotch-Lok connectors!!

huntsonora

Explorer
I would be happy to buy the Scrambler from you to help fund the build :victory:

It all looks great and am looking forward to watching the progress

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke