1989 Chevy Surburban "The Suburbillac".

Woofwagon

Adventurer
1989 Chevrolet Suburban aka "The Suburbillac". Location: Issaquah Washington.

Up for sale is an ex-USGS 3/4 ton Suburban. Here are some things I want to get out of the way first.
1) cash talks BS walks. I don't have time for tire kickers or lookee loos.
2) I am outlining all the specs and what I've done/added to this vehicle along with the parts that are included with the deal. Please read carefully or print out this ad to read what I'm offering.
3) I'm moving out to state and need to sell this vehicle quickly.
4) I will not ship this vehicle, you buy and come pick it up. I would not hesitate driving this vehicle across the US right now.

Ok, with those ground rules set out of the way....

This 1989 Suburban is a strong running truck setup for expedition camping. I was in the process of taking out the 350 V8 -- TH400 combination with the NP241 transfer case. Current mileage on the odo is 104000, that's right only about 4,000 miles a year. All the USGS did was drive it back and forth between Vancouver Washington and Mt St. Helens. The mileage at auction was 99,000.

Before they auctioned it off, here are the the things they did to it:
1) New heavy duty off road tires. Load range E, 10 ply tires.
2) Full alignment of the suspension
3) New brakes.
4) Full tune up of the TBI 350, the engine is a strong runner. Doesn't burn oil.
5) New exhaust system was installed.

Ok, those are the standard things. Here's all the extra work and parts that I have added and setup:

1) The reason for the Suburbillac moniker is that my plan was to install a 500 cubic inch Cadillac V8.
2) I have all the engine parts including:
. Brand new cylinder heads.
. Edelbrock aluminum intake manifold for Cadillac
. Full TBI electronic fuel injection system that will bolt right onto the Cadillac. These are all GM parts. Originally for a 454, the computer won't know the difference for the Cadillac.
. Full gasket set for the Cadillac.
. Brand new heavy radiator for the diesel version of the Suburban for all the cooling you'll need.
. Full stainless steel bolt kit for the entire Cadillac engine.
. 7 quart aluminum oil pan for the Cadillac. This is a very heavy cast piece and worth 400 bucks alone.
. Complete 4L80E automatic overdrive transmission with torque converter. The adapter plate between this transmission and Cadillac 500 can be had on jegs.com for $60.
. Complete engine build book just for the Cadillac 472/500 engine family.
. This engine is ready to bolt into the Suburban frame as it came right out of a Chevy truck frame.
3) 12,000 pound winch installed on the front end.
4) Custom rear tire carrier and off road bumper. The bumper is hollow and doubles as an air tank.
5) Vast internal storage racks. I'm a tall guy at 6'6" and was planning on using that room for my expeditions.
6) On board air compressor. It's not wired directly to the electrical system but can crank out 150psi of air pressure. I was waiting until after the installation of the Cadillac/4L80E transmission.
7) 1-ton 14 bolt GM full locking rear differential. This also was going to go in. This is a bullet proof rear end and can more than handle the torque of the Cadillac.
8) Full length roof rack.
9) Off road snorkel system. This is in perfect working order.
10) Full LED off road lights including LED replacement headlights. I put back up LED floods on the rear of the roof rack.
11) 3 coats of heavy duty bed liner have been applied to the hood (to prevent glare from the off road lights) and to the sides and back lower sections of the body.

That pretty much sums up what I've done and the parts I have on hand for this project. I hate to sell it but I need to pare things down to a minimum prior to moving. This vehicle has been used, but always well maintained and looked after. Drives excellent.

Why a Cadillac engine? Here is a quick fact, with an aluminum intake manifold this Cadillac engine is 150 pounds lighter than a Chevy 454 and only 75 pounds heavier than the 350 that is in there now. And, there is no replacement for displacement.

I've accumulated about 90% of the parts you the buyer will need to make this thing a total beast. Are you up to putting it all together?

I can post nearly 90 pics of the build thus far.

Last edited:

Woofwagon

Adventurer
You'd have to come and get the engine parts. Would be willing the buy the 4L80E too? It will make a hell of a combination. I have the TBI computer for the 4L80E too.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
SuperBuick,

Well I've torn most of the engine down and have a brand new pair of cylinder heads, aluminum intake manifold, new TBI and a 8 quart aluminum oil pan with the oil pickup too. Full wire harness for the TBI and computer.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
The Suburbillac has been sold. Sorry to see it go, but I got the money out of it that I wanted. I do know now what I need to build another one should in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier