1989 jeep yj □|||||||□

jswift716

Adventurer
Well I had a thread started for a ranger I was going to build but that truck was in way worse shape than I thought. Took all year but I finally got another rig worth building....
A 1989 YJ wrangler! It went on the road Monday afternoon and after building 4 separate XJs I have to say I do like the wrangler a little more. So the specs
4x4
4.2 I6 carb engine already "nuttered" with an HEI distributor
5-speed manual trans and t-case
1 year old suspension lift with 1 ton steering, front track bar, full leaf packs, shocks, but still spring under
35x12.5x15 almost brand new tires and steel wheels
Custom front and rear steel bumpers
Warn 9500lb winch/compressor combo with 200/250 feet of cable.
It came with half doors, tube doors, a bikini top, a soft top and frame, and a ton of other misc parts. All it needed was new drums and a new steering box to get rid of the slop. The drums were just rebuilt this morning with an oil change and the steering box is coming next week. Of course I have a list of things to do, and add still but it's very short. Enough rambling here's your pictures :)

jswift716

Adventurer
Finally dug out all my recovery gear and tools and got all that stashed away and organized. Gotta figure out where I want my jerry can, hi lift and shovel than shes ready for a shake down20180922_154905.jpg

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Looks good! I like old Jeeps a lot...with a bit of work they can be made VERY capable at relatively low cost..
Had an '87 YJ for a while ('til it got ripped) I would recommend multipoint fuel injection to really make that engine capable in the more difficult terrain (still one of my favorite engines = MP injected 4.2).
Personally, I am not a fan of the nutter mod nor HEIs (nor carburetors) but if they work for you Great.

Based on personal experience;
first mod remove pan hard rods...(leaf springs have plenty of lateral stiffness by themselves , IMO) ...chances are that this has already been done.
One ton steering on a D30 front axle doesn't make a lot of sense to me but I see a lot of puzzler mods on used Jeeps (tie rod?... drag link?)
With 35s you are at the point where drilling and tapping the steering box for a hydraulic assist front steering cylinder can be come attractive/beneficial.
You likely have the High Pinion front D30 (if it still has a D30) if so check and do a search of scrap yards for the large joint 95+ front XJ axle shafts will increase the reliability (Hopefully you do not have the vacuum front axle disconnect). If you have the small U-joint Dana 30 front axle shafts you will likely break some U-joints with 35s in tough terrain.... at least measure the U-joints...
Another point of concern would be; if it still has the Dana35 rear axle with 35 inch tires the stock Dana 35 rear axle is generally considered adequate in strength with 32 inch tires but become potientially problematic with 33 and more so with 35s; recommend driving with a light/educated right foot, especially with low gear ratios.
IMO; Keep the front anti-sway bar but consider disconnects and lockers.
If you have the Peugeot 5 speed start looking for an AX-15 in the scrap yards (YJ or XJ).
If it does not yet have a Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) consider the mod (will require a slip joint/splined rear drive shaft) ... shortening a scrap yard shaft is cheapest.
With the list of mods so far I would look in the diffs for gear ratio and possible lockers...(keep fingers crossed)!
Longer term; rather than more lift or an SOA consider a tummy tuck(TT).
I have used spring over axle (SOA) for many years but cannot recommend them because they are very vehicle, spring, driver and workmanship dependent (potentially unsafe).
I always consider/recommend 1/2 ton, or equivalent, 4 wheel disc power brakes when upgrading to 35s or bigger... in/under old Jeeps...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

jswift716

Adventurer
Looks good! I like old Jeeps a lot...with a bit of work they can be made VERY capable at relatively low cost..
Had an '87 YJ for a while ('til it got ripped) I would recommend multipoint fuel injection to really make that engine capable in the more difficult terrain (still one of my favorite engines = MP injected 4.2).
Personally, I am not a fan of the nutter mod nor HEIs (nor carburetors) but if they work for you Great.

Based on personal experience;
first mod remove pan hard rods...(leaf springs have plenty of lateral stiffness by themselves , IMO) ...chances are that this has already been done.
One ton steering on a D30 front axle doesn't make a lot of sense to me but I see a lot of puzzler mods on used Jeeps (tie rod?... drag link?)
With 35s you are at the point where drilling and tapping the steering box for a hydraulic assist front steering cylinder can be come attractive/beneficial.
You likely have the High Pinion front D30 (if it still has a D30) if so check and do a search of scrap yards for the large joint 95+ front XJ axle shafts will increase the reliability (Hopefully you do not have the vacuum front axle disconnect). If you have the small U-joint Dana 30 front axle shafts you will likely break some U-joints with 35s in tough terrain.... at least measure the U-joints...
Another point of concern would be; if it still has the Dana35 rear axle with 35 inch tires the stock Dana 35 rear axle is generally considered adequate in strength with 32 inch tires but become potientially problematic with 33 and more so with 35s; recommend driving with a light/educated right foot, especially with low gear ratios.
IMO; Keep the front anti-sway bar but consider disconnects and lockers.
If you have the Peugeot 5 speed start looking for an AX-15 in the scrap yards (YJ or XJ).
If it does not yet have a Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) consider the mod (will require a slip joint/splined rear drive shaft) ... shortening a scrap yard shaft is cheapest.
With the list of mods so far I would look in the diffs for gear ratio and possible lockers...(keep fingers crossed)!
Longer term; rather than more lift or an SOA consider a tummy tuck(TT).
I have used spring over axle (SOA) for many years but cannot recommend them because they are very vehicle, spring, driver and workmanship dependent (potentially unsafe).
I always consider/recommend 1/2 ton, or equivalent, 4 wheel disc power brakes when upgrading to 35s or bigger... in/under old Jeeps...

Enjoy!

Yeah fuel injection is on the list.. cant decide if I wanna keep the 4.2 or go with a 355 I found for 400$ I do still have the vac disco but at some point next year I hope to have full width axles under it because of the 35s. I built 4 xjs so I know alot about those but this is a whole lot simpler sye will come with a 242 and ax15 if it doesnt already have it. I've mainly been working on storage stuff with all the molle gear I had stashed in the attic. At this point it's just about getting organized and catching back up on maintenance until spring than I'll start digging into the drivetrain

jswift716

Adventurer
Not much new today, Dug this out of the attic fits perfect behind my seat and it's all on quick clips so I still have a day pack20180923_161417.jpg

Last edited:

ChinaLakePW

The wife and I have been very happy with our YJ. We have about 203K on it so far. If it hasn't been done already, swap to an external slave cylinder for the clutch at your earliest convenience. My original slave cylinder got about 180K. My 4th one just went out in the last 20K. 2 were under warranty, but it isn't worth my time to keep replacing them. I am making the swap to an external slave tomorrow.

jswift716

Adventurer
My clutch is brand new but that's for sure on the list with the ax15 if I dont already have it.

I figured out today my vaccume disco for the front axle doesn't work so that'll get fixed tomorrow cheaply for the time being until I can ditch the 2 piece shaft but I got to use the winch today, I know I wasnt in the safest place but there wasnt any resistance or mud I just couldnt stop spinning on the slate bottom in the silt so dont yell at me Screenshot_20180923-211804_Messenger.jpg

jswift716

Adventurer
So, I have this Alice pack and frame... the pack is about the same as a trasharoo just smaller, and the frame... well I'm thinking I could fab it into a jerry can mount to put my can infront of the drivers door. 20180924_044245.jpg

jswift716

Adventurer
Well, the Alice pack works good on the tire. Had to loop it through the wheel but that's okay, its holding my huge tow strap for now.

The frame as a jerry can mount... that's another story but I think I can make it work if I think about it enough
30896f6caebaa3c1ce6306bd9cb19926.jpg
d2435b8ede16f2e42f596d1c23533447.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jswift716

Adventurer
Welp, the Alice pack frame won't work for a jerry carrier so that's out. But I did order a new valve cover gasket, 2 new factory motor mounts (I know should of upgraded) which I will upgrade when I figure out if I'm keeping the 4.2 or not this spring. And a cowl cover to help keep the snow from filling my cowl this year. Today the gasket showed up just the gasket in this huge box, but I won't question it because little man liked all the packing pillows
f6c073f11de9cbb652f88709e4b41514.jpg

jswift716

Adventurer
Well it's a good thing I live alone.. nomad got sick today and threw up all over my living room.. and the carb filter is soaking in my kitchen sink lol. It's cold and rainy so I pulled everything inside and got organized. Was able to lose 2 milk crates and 2 tool bags all at the same time too! The list will be the next post, minus the tent, black pack, stove, and pan everything else lives in the jeep somewhere
d40921307bbba77c84a4bc571b1d0db3.jpg

jswift716

Adventurer
The list
Top right 5g (20l)jerry can
Red hi lift bag
-Almost all the hi lift accessories
-small bottle jack
-2" reciver clevis mount with clevis and hitch pin
48" extreme jack
Offroad base
Walmart Stanley 3/8 and 1/4 socket set
Black tool bag
- tarp
- zip ties
- 30 foot tow chain
- 3k ratchet strap 20'
Tan drop leg (hangs off roll bar)
- cb Mic
- winch controller
- tire plug kit
First aid kit
Multi cam 3day pack
- compressor hose for oba
- jumper cables
- rain jacket and fleece neck gaiter
- more zip ties
Molle seat panel
- 3 empty pouches
- crkt ken onion knife
- 1/2 24" breaker bar
Ammo can
-spare fuel filter
-spare ujoint clips
-compression fittings
-tool roll with pliers channel locks needle nose metric and standard wrenches crescents 1/2 and 3/8 exts.
- 1qt oil
- 1 brake fluid
- 1 wd40
- 1 ether
- Electrical tester
- electrical tape
- brake drum tool
- brake flare tool
- ez out kit
- spline lug socket
- clean shop rags
- flashlight

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
..Think you forgot to list the stove...
when I was running the YJ and CJs I bolted a steel Gerry can bracket/holder (still occasionally see them on fleabay) to the top of each rear fender well then used them to help retain the 10 L water cans/French wine tins/scepter, and occasionally a 20LGerry can or 2.
mDziWmrpANedsdjkRxgaSWw.jpg

I know some are paranoid about carrying flammables in side but I never had any issues... (sighs, as he prepares for the inevitable, want to live in a rubber room/liberal/whiner criticism)...
Unfortunately crysler rounded off the tops of the rear fender wells for the TJ so loading and transport of many things is now more difficult...

Back when I was running the YJ I carried (but never used when wheeling/camping) a 4 foot Hi-lift secured to a DIY floor bracket and attached, at the pointy end, to the roll bar behind/next to the passenger seat; bit of a pain for passengers but I rarely had them... eventually I stopped carrying the Hi-lift and went to a bottle jack & 6"piece of 4x4.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

jswift716

Adventurer
Well I have my son so I need to bolt my jack somewhere, and the jerry is gonna go on the outside soon it looks like I'll be able to swing that order this weekend, jerry can locking mount and a 3lb extinguisher strap are coming soon. The motor mounts came in today so that's also on the weekend list with the valve cover. I think the jack will be okay almost anywhere as long as I bolt it down

0235edd8636886ff8294acc17d869814.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne