1989 Landrover 110 Defender Perentie 5 Door Wagon

Ted Ellison

1989 Land Rover Perentie
Idaho title located in Coeur d Alene Idaho

5 door wagon troop carrier

$45,000

For sale is my 5 door wagon personnel carrier. For those of you who don’t know about the perentie it is an ex-military Australian land rover 110. These trucks were built in Australia with special specifications for the military. They are powered by the Isuzu 3.9L 4bd1 diesel engine with a LT95 4 speed manual transmission. They have fully galvanized frames

Truck, Carryall, Lightweight, Personnel Carrier, MC2 (38 Vehicles)

The major differences between the Land Rover Perentie and British Land Rovers are the relocation of the spare wheel to a position under the rear of the load area, a galvanised chassis and the Isuzu engine. The original army contract called for a variety of unusual features including being able to sustain being hung from a helicopter by one corner without causing the chassis to distort.

This truck was purchased at auction from Frontline Machinery in Sidney in the Spring of 2017. With the help of Uncle Douglas I worked with Matt Derrig from KLR to inspect, purchase and build this truck. Matt said this was the cleanest 5 Door perentie he has ever seen.

After auction KLR went to work improving the truck with the following upgrades.

Garret turbo installation

Complete exhaust upgrade

New Stronger clutch

Power Steering

Rear Disc brake conversion

Door Locks

A/C installation

Sound deadening

After the truck was shipped and finally cleared customs in the Port of Tacoma. I was able to drive it home to Coeur d Alene. Since arrival I have added the following.

Replaced all fluids

New BFG KO2 235/85-16 tires including the spare. The old tires were tubed variety these are tubeless on the original wheels.

New rear diff breather valve, the old one was plugged requiring replacement
New rear flexible brake line
New clutch slave cylinder
Rebuilt heater core box
Recore of the original radiator
New factory Isuzu water pump and thermostat
A completely rebuilt Warn 8274 winch with new synthetic dyneema rope. The winch has an upgraded new warn 9.5 XP motor.
New Tuffy box center console
Ram mount for Ipad
Extra power mounts f
New Northstar AGM Group 31 Battery with Blue Sea fuse controller
New LHD Hella H4 headlamps with upgraded wiring and relays and high output bulbs. Much better than stock.
Baja Designs rear LED reverse flood lamp installation

Wiring for power for 12V fridge with Anderson connector. When overlanding we remove the rear bench seat and place our National Luna behind the passenger front seat.

Front and rear prop shaft rebalance and rebuild of one u joint

This truck is very unique. It may be the only personnel carrier in the united states. It very clean and in excellent working order. The turbo 3.9L isuzu pulls hard up grades without dropping into 3rd gear. The brakes are strong and the suspension is a dream on gravel roads and off road.

We have driven this truck on two long overland trips each totaling 3,000 miles and have not had one mechanical problem.

At Overland Expo west this last Spring the Land Rover instructor could not get this truck stuck on the Land Rover experience course. Even without diff locks the articulation of this truck kept all 4 wheels on the ground at all times. He was impressed.

The reason we are selling the truck is that we are moving up to a larger overland vehicle, EarthCruiser. I was planning to build the truck for overland travel with an Icarus roof conversion but have found we need a larger truck for our needs.

This truck would be a terrific vehicle for overland travel. It is very reliable with the isuzu engine, has absolutely zero electronics, runs on any diesel fuel, gets very good milage, we have seen around 25 mpg.

The negatives are, it is a 29 year old truck. It is still somewhat loud at highway speed despite the sound deadening. I think it would be considerably quieter with a headliner. It does not have one. It does not have cruise control. The heater and A/C systems while functioning perfectly do not heat and cool the truck like modern vehicles.

Lastly it is Right hand drive. I was originally worried about driving a RHD vehicle but I have found it very easy to adjust to driving on the other side of the truck. Shifting with the left hand is easy. The shift pattern is identical to a LHD truck, the pedals are the same. It takes a week or so to get used to it but I don’t notice much of a difference now. In fact I will miss not having a RHD truck it has been a joy to drive.

That being said it has tons of personality and I get waves, questions, and comments nearly every day I drive it.

The odometer reads 240,000 km.

Here is a description of the upgrades performed by KLR in Australia.

Turbo Systems

Each kit now comes with an injection pump setting tool. This makes tuning our turbo kit even easier than before and eliminates any margin for error.

This tool is also available for no cost to those who have already fitted our kit.

The naturally aspirated 4BD1 will pull all day long and is unrivalled off road, but it is a bit lethargic by today’s standards on the road. Fortunately this is easily fixed with the addition of a turbo. Our turbo kit, using a genuine Garrett turbo, almost doubles the engine output for the same fuel consumption.

This dyno chart shows the power increase from 49Hp (red line) to 110Hp (blue line) at the rear wheels (the power figure is on the left hand side). The dotted lines are the respective torque figures. This is a typical result with our kit.

We have been fitting turbos to the 4BD1 for over 15 years and in that time have tested many set ups. In general any turbo is better than no turbo, however some deliver better results than others. The mistake many installers make is to use a turbo that is too big – it will deliver great boost at high revs but most drivers don’t rev their engines that hard. The 4BD1 has a limited rev range – it is usually governed to 3400rpm, however you rarely need to rev them past about 2500rpm (and usually a lot less). None of the factory fitted turbos are worth using.

A correctly matched turbo delivers excellent boost pressure off idle, so there is even less reason to rev the engine hard since more torque is being produced lower in the rev range. This results in better economy, quieter operation and a smoother driving experience (and much more torque and power across the rev range).

The complete kit contains everything necessary for installation:

• Garrett GT series turbo and base gasket
  • High flow tubular manifold (yes it makes a difference)
  • Crossover pipe and hoses and adaptors
  • Intake hose
  • Oil feed and oil return hoses and fittings
  • Engine breather modification fittings and hose
  • EGT probe pick-up
  • Nuts, studs and hose clamps

Power Steering

Unless you are built like the proverbial you will soon grow tired of the manual steering on the 4×4 (usually after your first three-point turn). Our power steering kit consists of all the new components necessary to fit power steering to your Perentie 4×4:

• New 4-bolt Adwest steering box or Land Rover Factory reco Adwest box
  • New pitman arm and ball joint
  • New power steering pump
  • New reservoir
  • New hoses and fittings
  • New reservoir brackets and bolts
Installation is straight forward for those with mechanical experience and takes about two hours. No modifications are necessary; this is a true bolt-on kit. Even the mounting holes for the reservoir bracket are already there!

Due to another significant price increase from Land Rover we have been forced to increase our prices from 21 June 2016. New steering box kit price is $2300

Most people have their own preference for an exhaust system however we can also give you advice on this. The original air cleaner is modified and retained.

This turbo kit will also fit FFR and other variants fitted with a 24v generator. This kit will also fit the civilian 110 County. It will also fit the 6×6 variants as an upgrade to the existing low-mount Garrett turbo.

REAR DISC BRAKES $1320

Bring your Perentie into the 21st century with a rear disc brake conversion. This kit replicates the brakes on the rear of the Defender, but uses a 4-pot caliper for extra stopping power (as used on the 6×6). It is a true bolt-on kit that is made up of all new parts:

• Calipers
  • Hubs
  • Discs
  • Wheel bearings and hub seals
  • Brake Pads
  • Caliper Brackets
  • Bolts, lock tabs and pad retention kit

Fitting this kit also converts the rear wheel bearings to run in diff oil – the way they were meant to. Installation is straight forward, taking about three hours. The brake system will need to be bled. The original half shafts, drive flanges, brake master cylinder and original brake pipes are all retained.

Last edited:

Ted Ellison

Last day to bid on this terrific unique overland platform. Only up to $23,000 now. I will be going to a new home tomorrow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior