1991 Isuzu Trooper Overlanding Build

Kinda looks like a Trooper

20161031_152040.jpg

91trooper

Love the write up! Found it today and man, awesome looking rig! Getting psyched to complete my project. I picked up a 1991 trooper for $1700 with 200k on the clock. A little rust around the bottom of the doors and some other spots randomly located. But all and all it still runs well. We picked up the ARB roof top tent and wanted to get the specs on your rack. I have access to a welder and Material just need the measurements and stock you used? Did you fabricate the raingutter mounts? are they a moded Thule/Yakima set up? How did you go about fabricating that up? Any changes you would make to the design after the years of use?

Thanks again for your info and insight. Can't wait to do the suspension replacement. Indie 4x has the complete system for $2k now. Any pointers on the suspension would be helpful too! Thanks again

T

Abdiel

Awesome build just read thru all ten pages and I have to say I'm impressed with your Isuzu knowledge. I've always had a soft spot for Isuzu troopers. When I lived in Puerto Rico my uncle had one and so did a lot of people. They were very popular vehicles over there probably because they are very capable off road vehicles.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Wow, this thing is perfection. I had 3 different Trooper II's all 4 banger 5 speeds, an '86, an '87, and an '88. The 2.6 with the 5 speed is a great combo. Had many an epic cross country trip in those things and got my first southern Utah desert trips in those in the early '90's. I moved on to Land Cruisers but immediately missed the mileage and nice packaging of the Troopers. If I built up a first gen now it would be pretty much what you have done. Congrats and hold onto that thing!

outofrshell

Adventurer
Not to butt in but it is gone. Bart sold it and I believe all other Isuzus and mostly left the Isuzu community although I do see a post once in a while. The whole story can be found on Planet Isuzu. Too bad, he some great info and and shared some great posts. Dave

outofrshell

Adventurer
I assume it is a 1st Generation Trooper (86 - 91) Jerry is a good source. But if it is the top hinge on the drivers door then the bottom hinge on the right rear passenger door is usually in good condition and will interchange with drivers door and the same for the right front door and the left rear door. This also gives you some options if searching the junk yards. One tip for the hinges at the front doors is remove the front fenders it is very simple and will save you a ton of frustration. Dave

geusterman

I suppose Bart is raising children now. You can have kids or money but hard to have both. BUT, if he is building something else we would love to see it. My 86 diesel Trooper project is 4 years running and $x$ coming along. New ones were $13k and I suspect mine will be that much when finished but essentially a new Trooper. Finding the 3rd gen rods was the clincher to going ahead with the restoration. Engine is all done and having fun.

Trooper 2.jpgTrooper 3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles