1995 SR engine replacement, 3.8 bottom end questions, DOHC questions

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I think IncorporatedX and I figured out the MIVEC thing the other day, just a matter of finding a cheap Montero that needs engine work to test on. Also 104, meh.

ChargerX3

Observer
Glad to see someone else doing this. The SR heads wont flow any better than the later generation SOHC heads, Especially the Mivec heads. Dont put the Mivec heads on unless you plan on controlling timing and fuel maps. Realize that once Mivec kicks in (Yo!) your cam profiles change and your ECU will struggle to even stay close as it only works within a certain tolerance/range. Ultimately things would end with your motor going pop.

Did you purchase the Hyundai 3.8? I know there are some differences in the motors. Motor mounts, cam/crank sensors, accessories, as so on. Interested in seeing how it turns out.

My progress thus far, but might go 3.5 instead. Not sure yet.

13139095_10101170697731094_2628805999707162798_n.jpg

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I'd be so happy to not have those stupid stamped steel valve covers that leak like a CU%!. Also ChargerX3, make that work so I can do mine next all easy because you did the hard parts. :wings:

evol911

Observer
Glad to see someone else doing this. The SR heads wont flow any better than the later generation SOHC heads, Especially the Mivec heads. Dont put the Mivec heads on unless you plan on controlling timing and fuel maps. Realize that once Mivec kicks in (Yo!) your cam profiles change and your ECU will struggle to even stay close as it only works within a certain tolerance/range. Ultimately things would end with your motor going pop.

Does Mivec work the same way as Honda's VTEC? If so then you could use Mivec heads and not trigger the cam switch over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94