1996 White Land Rover Discovery 5-speed

rripatti

Observer
For Sale: White 1996 Landrover Discovery SD 5-speed with 106,069 miles. I bought this truck with the intention to keep it forever. However time, work and a shift in priorities have moved me to sell my Disco.

The good:
• Complete service records since purchased roughly 2 years ago including new front brake rotors, calipers and pads..
• OME 2inch HD lift kit: 10,000 miles ago
• OME HD steering dampner: 10,000 miles ago
• Tan water proof Wet Okole seat covers front/rear with black piping and LR logo.
• Borla catback exhaust
• Underbody Waxoyled treatment 1 year old approximately
• $360 Pioneer head unit with MP3 capability, Sirius satellite stereo hardware setup (just need to input the code as I am cancelling mine), all new speakers including custom built subwoofer box in place of stock LR box (speakers additional $800).
• Stock replacement Kelly safari tires with 80% thread left
• a/c and all electrics work fine though cruise control a little finicky.

The bad:
• Recently developed the death wobble starting November 30. Have not diagnosed .
• CEL light on: possibly 02 sensor. Engine performs normally otherwise.
• ABS light on, pulled fuse. Front left sensor needs replacement
• Service engine soon light on (just needs to be reset, oil changes have been done every 3,000 miles)
• Rear break pads will need to be replaced.
• Power steering leaking slightly through hoses.
• Small dings and scratches on the paint and minor rust on rear door access area.

The vehicle is located in Brooklyn NY. Asking $1,900 and sold as is for someone looking for a project vehicle. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2314.JPG
    IMG_2314.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 1,441
  • IMG_2305.JPG
    IMG_2305.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2307.JPG
    IMG_2307.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2304.JPG
    IMG_2304.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2306.JPG
    IMG_2306.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2303.JPG
    IMG_2303.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2302.JPG
    IMG_2302.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 172

isaac

Observer
Hey... I could buy this truck next week... in India now returning the 16th-ish. Need something to drive up to MA & around New England for a month. What do you mean by "death wobble". Will it start and run reliably for a month CEL or otherwise?

- Isaac

Last edited:

silvergrand

Adventurer
Death Wobble or DW : Hit a bump in the road, typically on one side, and HOLY &$%@, everything shakes like a plane in extreme turbulance. VERY SCARY. Various causes...in this case it's probably a worn steering component or two.

rripatti

Observer
Hi Isaac,

I would not recommend driving the vehicle for a month at highway speeds without at least resolving the front end death wobble. Death wobble means that when you hit a bump/pothole etc at a certain speed, the steering wheel will begin to shake and continue to shake until you slow down to a speed where the vibration frequency terminates. I currently drive the truck to do errands within the city limits.

The engine drives normally other then the CEL light on. Anyone who is interested can "pull" the CEL codes with their scanner should they wish to inspect the vehicle in person.

isaac said:
Hey... I could buy this truck next week... in India now returning the 16th-ish. Need something to drive up to MA & around New England for a month. What do you mean by "death wobble". Will it start and run reliably for a month CEL or otherwise?

isaact@gmail.com

- Isaac

rripatti

Observer
Thanks Silvergrand,

I currently suspect worn wheel bearing or track rod.

Truck is sold as is and I would like to emphasize this is best suited as a project vehicle and is NOT recommended to be driven for any length of distance in its current form.

silvergrand said:
Death Wobble or DW : Hit a bump in the road, typically on one side, and HOLY &$%@, everything shakes like a plane in extreme turbulance. VERY SCARY. Various causes...in this case it's probably a worn steering component or two.

gjackson

FRGS
My experience of the DW has always led back to a leaking power steering pump. It drips on the upper panhard rod bushing, and when the bushing softens, the DW starts. Yikes!!

cheers

rripatti

Observer
Hi Graham,

Thank you for your input as well. I fully agree that the power steering can be the cause as well...as my power steering pump is leaking.

I emphasise this should be viewed as a project vehicle that should not be driven on the highway until the DW is diagnosed and repaired.

if the vehicle is not sold by next week, I will donate it to charity as a tax write off. :)

gjackson said:
My experience of the DW has always led back to a leaking power steering pump. It drips on the upper panhard rod bushing, and when the bushing softens, the DW starts. Yikes!!

cheers

rripatti

Observer
Hi All,

Update. I'm leaving for Maine earlier then i expected for the holidays. Therefore my window to sell this vehicle has shortened.

I'm now asking $1,500 obo. If it doesn't sell over the weekend, I will have the charity Kars-4-Kids pick it up on Monday as a tax write off.

Truck is sold as is and local sale pick up. I will not ship or arrange transportation.

Thanks!:)

shawkins

Adventurer
I wish it was in good enough condition for me to fly there and drive it back!

I would try to hold off on donating it if you can as that model is highly desireable and will make someone VERY HAPPY!

rripatti

Observer
Hi Steve,

I know. I spent a long time looking for this exact model when I purchased it.

I wish I could but I leave in the middle of next week up to Maine and I just don't have space for the truck in my garage which is located outside of NYC. Right now with the purchase of the new Jeep I have 4 cars total with two of them in the garage.

Given I'm gone for 2 weeks for the holidays, I'm not going to leave the Discovery on the streets of NYC so it has to go sooner rather then later.

Worst case scenario, the car will go to a good cause for children in need. :)

shawkins said:
I wish it was in good enough condition for me to fly there and drive it back!

I would try to hold off on donating it if you can as that model is highly desireable and will make someone VERY HAPPY!

rripatti

Observer
you are better of towing it from a safety perspective. The drivetrain is completely fine, i'm still using it everyday to run errands to the grocery store and gym etc etc. but at highway speeds that DW is not something to take trivially.

6Pins said:
Would it make it to DC or am I better off towing it down?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior