1997 7.3 F-350 4x4 Ambulance, 60k original miles, $38,000

Athansinis

Stumbled across this in my searches today. Looks pretty clean in the photos. Not mine, no affiliation.

Ad text for posterity:

Up for sale is my 1997 4x4 Ford F350 Super Duty 7.3 Turbo Diesel Camper Van. She's a rare find with just under 60,000 original miles, and I have all the original maintenance paperwork dating back to 2003. I've put in over $13,000 in repairs and upgrades to get her in absolute bombproof shape since I take her deep into the Sierras almost every weekend and am not interested in getting stranded :)

I've camped in -10 degree weather and have had zero issues starting, and the 4x4 has carried me through several feet of snow. At around 10,000lbs with dual rear wheels and BFG KO2s, you're practically driving a snowmobile. She also has a built in inverter, 110v outlets, insulation, interior / exterior lighting, ambulance flashers, sirens, PA system, and lots, lots more. Maintenance and upgrades listed below:

RECENT MAINTENANCE
* New Jasper Remanufactured Transmission with 3 year / 100,000 mile transferrable warranty
* New water pump and thermostat
* New rear brake drums and cylinders
* Radiator flushed, fuel and air filters replaced
* New serpentine belt
* New front brakes and calipers
* 2x brand new 850 CCA Napa Legend batteries

UPGRADES (the fun stuff)
* 6x BRAND NEW 235/85/16 (32”) BFG AT T/A KO2 tires (with transferrable lifetime warranty)
* 2x 50” LED light bars (front and rear view) (wired to native ambo control console)
* Tinted windows to 35%
* Rear Heater and AC unit
* 1000w inverter and 110v power outlets

CONS
* Some minor chipped paint and cosmetic defects on the box from vinyl and fender removal (shown in pics). I was going to get a complete respray done, but figured I'd list it for less and let the next buyer decide the color. I have an itemized quote if you're curious about pricing. If it was me I'd just leave as is, it's an off road rig after all :)

I’ve taken this thing across country, driven through blizzards, explored hundreds and hundreds of miles of logging roads and 4x4 trails through Colorado, Utah, and California, and am currently camping in a ski resort parking lot as I write this (the plows are definitely trying to bury me). If you're a fan of checking out local, paid campsites then this isn't the rig for you. However, if you enjoy pulling up to remote hot springs on "closed" winter logging roads, or waking up at 7am and cooking breakfast in your warm van in the lot instead of the lift line, then you've come to the right place.

Also, if you’ve done your homework, you know what you’re looking at. A pre smog, turbo diesel, 7.3 that will probably last longer than you. This is one of the cleanest, lowest mileage ones you’ll find. I’m happy to answer any questions you may have, and I appreciate your patience with responding as I'm sliding around on snow for the next few days. Cheers!

Startup / Walk Around Video:
Text or call me, but please leave a VM if I don't answer, otherwise I won't return the call. Thanks for your time!

jlcanterbury

I have the same exact truck. A 1997 F-350 7.3 4x4 with an ambulance package. These are truly awesome and very fun to drive. Not too many left in good shape/low miles.

His statement that " you're practically driving a snowmobile " is hilarious. I don't find that to be the case, lol, but these are some seriously capable vehicles that are build to take a lot of abuse.

eporter

Adventurer
Seems like a fair price with demand these days, OBS and the 7.3, pre smog too. I saw a 2000 with 90k and the 7.3 go for 28k recently. Some people really like that older style, and the ability to register it in CA...

jlcanterbury

Hell if anyone is considering this one, I’ll sell you my 1996 power stroke 4x4 with 44k miles for $35k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sure you could get close to that, but once it's gone, it's gone. I don't see these going down in value any time soon, so replacing it/finding another one is a total crap shoot. That's the struggle I'm in- I now have a few rigs to convert and sell, but I am really going to grapple with sellers remorse letting any go.

In 2 years of searching (literally 3 hours every day combing any/all sales channels), I have only come across a handful of these 4x4 ambulance rigs clean/low miles. A lot of ambulanced get badly abused and driven hard. There really aren't enough to go around for the amount of people that would love to have one as a camper. Even at $38k it's a screaming deal compared to what people pay for an "AWD' sprinter that won't do 10% of what this rig can do off road.

eporter

Adventurer
I'm sure you could get close to that, but once it's gone, it's gone. I don't see these going down in value any time soon, so replacing it/finding another one is a total crap shoot. That's the struggle I'm in- I now have a few rigs to convert and sell, but I am really going to grapple with sellers remorse letting any go.

In 2 years of searching (literally 3 hours every day combing any/all sales channels), I have only come across a handful of these 4x4 ambulance rigs clean/low miles. A lot of ambulanced get badly abused and driven hard. There really aren't enough to go around for the amount of people that would love to have one as a camper. Even at $38k it's a screaming deal compared to what people pay for an "AWD' sprinter that won't do 10% of what this rig can do off road.

Yeah, they’re rare. Surprisingly I’ve seen a couple in the past month. This govdeals ambo just sold for 17k. Hard to say from the description what was really wrong with it. Could just need a service or have bigger engine/trans issues.
“This ambulance does have some known mechanical issues that I have listed below:

• Needs a new power steering pump

• Engine injectors need serviced- miss under load- no power

• Transmission needs serviced- improper shifting

• Intermitted short in inverter tripping master fuse

The ambulance was just removed from service a few weeks ago.”
4ad050c9dde23afb8dcb7f1f64e4da1b.jpg

eporter

Adventurer
This one popped up in OR and sold in a couple weeks for 28k. Lots of recent maintenance records from the owner.
9a4e30544221cec3c2bdd0ed9812ba09.jpg

jagarcia89

Yeah I’m not planning on selling right now. Im hoping to wrap up the interior build in the next few weeks. I was making a point that even with the prices skyrocketing lately, I still see converted 4x4 Ambos going for less than that. But I hope he gets asking for it. Makes ours worth more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlcanterbury

This govdeals ambo just sold for 17k. Hard to say from the description what was really wrong with it. Could just need a service or have bigger engine/trans issues.

I wanted this one real bad. I was watching it as it closed, the bidding just got a bit too high for me being that it had noted engine and transmission issues, and is across the country from me. Could be easy fixes, but could be another $10k in repairs before it's reliable. That's the thing with these goverment auctions, the buyer is taking all the risk

Much less risk in a private party sale with opportunity to examine the vehicle - thus the higher price in private part market vs these seemingly great deals at auction.

I have been tracking the steady increase in price for these rigs. It's happening across the board for campers, but I think it is most certainly justified when it comes to ambulances. Consider the fact that these 4x4 ambo builds originally cost $150-200k... and a resale at $38k with very very low miles doesn't seem as crazy any more.
(consider the alternative of paying $90k for a used Rebel Sprinter with the same mileage)

The ambulance is a MUCH better value, much higher quality build, much more rugged platform, sooooo much cheaper to maintain, can be serviced anywhere, can drink dirty diesel in south american travels, higher payload, more storage, and the list goes on.

I know I'm preaching to the chior here, but I actually don't think the value of the ambulance platform has been fully realized in the market pricing. I think these rigs will continue to go up in and maintain value as people really begin to compare the real utilitarian value compared to alternatives. With that being said, all you dudes better forget what I just outlined, and stop bidding these up when they come to auction, haha! Just kidding, but also not ?

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
I wanted this one real bad. I was watching it as it closed, the bidding just got a bit too high for me being that it had noted engine and transmission issues, and is across the country from me. Could be easy fixes, but could be another $10k in repairs before it's reliable. That's the thing with these goverment auctions, the buyer is taking all the risk

Much less risk in a private party sale with opportunity to examine the vehicle - thus the higher price in private part market vs these seemingly great deals at auction.

I have been tracking the steady increase in price for these rigs. It's happening across the board for campers, but I think it is most certainly justified when it comes to ambulances. Consider the fact that these 4x4 ambo builds originally cost $150-200k... and a resale at $38k with very very low miles doesn't seem as crazy any more.
(consider the alternative of paying $90k for a used Rebel Sprinter with the same mileage)

The ambulance is a MUCH better value, much higher quality build, much more rugged platform, sooooo much cheaper to maintain, can be serviced anywhere, can drink dirty diesel in south american travels, higher payload, more storage, and the list goes on.

I know I'm preaching to the chior here, but I actually don't think the value of the ambulance platform has been fully realized in the market pricing. I think these rigs will continue to go up in and maintain value as people really begin to compare the real utilitarian value compared to alternatives. With that being said, all you dudes better forget what I just outlined, and stop bidding these up when they come to auction, haha! Just kidding, but also not ?
AGReed. These rigs are extremely well built. its definitely an asset to have one. I love mine. Its so damn well built and just turned 108K miles.

eporter

Adventurer
Wow. I think it’s time to start hoarding the ambo boxes I find on craigslist for a couple grand. Then buy a bunch of four-wheel-drive pick ups and bolt the boxes on. The average overlander really doesn’t care about most of the ambo stuff in the box anyways, or the miles of wiring.

Kolockum

Adventure Nut
There are still plenty of rural fire stations around me that have late 90s and early 00s ambulances. They are getting warn but still a solid chassis.

Just make sure you clean them really good when you get one from surplus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94