1997 Dodge Ram 1500 "Marge" Project

Twisted Noodle

Hey Everyone, long time lurker of 6+ years... I'm finally starting a "Project" thread to keep track of my progress on my Ram. My wife and I bought our first camper together. We have been talking about it for a few years now. We found a nice slide in truck camper, reasonably priced, and designed for a half ton truck. So far, I have no mods.. I have fixed the dreaded intake gasket issue that's associated with these engines (5.2-5.9) so the engine runs a lot smoother. I picked the camper up last night and was not impressed with the rear squat. I'm tossing around the idea of helper springs or a brand new set of springs. The truck only has 100k miles but the suspension (I'm starting to notice) could be in better shape. I don't know if stock springs would be sufficient or if they would need some help. I don't know if I should invest in helper springs, or air bags. I'm tossing the idea of possibly going with a small lift but then I think I would have the same issue, only 2" higher.. So I still have some research to do. I was hoping the truck wasn't going to struggle as much as it does but I suppose the payload maxes out at 1750 lbs and the camper is right there at 1634 lbs so it shoulda been expected.
Anyway, here is a picture of the maiden voyage home.

Explorerinil

Observer
These trucks are fairly solid, you will need to address the steering, ball joints, hub bearings and consider an aftermarket track bar... these are all things that will probably need attention. For your rear springs, do you want to spend some cash? If so call dever and go over your project, they can make something to fit the bill for hat your doing.

Twisted Noodle

I do have the correct mounts, I just need to get them fitted to the truck

I’ll probably go with some good off-road shocks

I have the hub bearings all fixed up. The steering is on the list as well. I don’t care how much I spend on the rear suspension, as long as it’s safe. Bonus would be added articulation. Eventually it’s all got to be replaced. It’s at 100k and everything looks like it’s original.

Twisted Noodle

Yes, I understand that. I was responding to Warrpath’s recommendation of using air shocks. I have a little more than basic understanding of vehicle mechanics. Except when said understanding needs to be applied to my own vehicle utilizing my own money.

I owned a ‘96 1/2-ton that I put 302k miles on before selling it to my mechanic’s son. Original 5.9 and trans so I know they can be reliable if looked after. I chased front suspension/steering issues for quite awhile...bigger track bar, steering box brace, coil spacers, longer arms, and then taller coils. All of that because I wanted bigger tires and “cooler” wheels. If I could do it all over again I’d stick with the OEM rims and taller, skinnier 33” tires (255/85r16) and be done with it. As for the rear leafs, mine were 3/1 stock. I added air bags at one point and they worked well for a long time. Towards the end I replaced the stock leaves with a 4/1 set. I never ran a camper in the back but I’m pretty sure that setup would have handled one no problem. As far as the truck struggling with the additional weight, I believe your gear set is a 3.53. Early on I changed mine out to 4.10s and that made a big difference, especially with the larger tires I was running. That’s an expensive mod though. I’m now of the opinion that you run it until it won’t run and then make your changes. Good luck with the build. I still miss that old truck!

Twisted Noodle

MDR, thanks for the info. I am looking around at 4/1 leafs and 5/1 leafs springs. Mine are old and the bushings are worn, same with the front coils. I'm don't really care about the lift and huge tires. I am a "function over form" type of guy. I usually don't buy it until I need it. My current tires are stock size but some oddball snowtrakker 4 ply tires. They were great in the snow but now they're insufficient. I'm looking at some 8ply 285/75/r16 Falken Wildpeaks (because they're on sale). I'm also reading some reviews on other brands. I know the BF Goodrich tires are the holy grail of all terrain but I'm still looking at my options.
Gearing is on the list, but probably not until September. I want to try to make it to Colorado in August first. The Dodge Rams were notorious for the intake gasket leak. Mine was leaking in 3 spots. It was sucking up and burning 6 quarts of oil between oil changes. My cats were clogged and it ran like poo. That's all fixed now and I don't think I have the "Death tune" (as they call it) but I might benefit from a mild tune. I do have a complete new stainless steel exhaust system made by Solo Exhaust so to compliment that I should invest in an intake of some sort.

Sounds like you’re having fun doing your research. The 285 is a good size for all around use but you’ll notice a bit more bottom end sluggishness due to the increase. The 5.9 does well though, with its relatively low (for a gasser) peak torque coming in around 3300 rpm IIRC. Tires: consider going with a LR-E (old rating of 10-ply) due to the loaded camper weight. I have experience with the BFG KO2 in the 285 size. Fantastic tire on and offroad, but disappointing treadlife overall. IMO there are better options for an all around tire...YMMV.

Twisted Noodle

I did some research and my local mechanic friend got me on a set of General Grabber ATXs in 10ply for under 160 bucks per tire. I feel like that's a win!! I also found a local Spring shop (Brute Spring) here in Buffalo who quoted me on a set of springs in the rear. They'll bend them up and get me a set rated around 2150 per side. That's about 400 lbs per side more. I'm curious if that'll ride like a covered wagon when unloaded. I believe thats in 3/4 ton territory. I think the springs combined with the new 10-ply tires will have Ol' Marge feeling stable and sure footed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94