1998-2002 Ford E350 Transmission Oil Cooler

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I used a TruCool 40K (47391) kit on my 03 7.3. Was done in under an hour and only spilled maybe 4-5 drops of fluid. Temps came down about 30 degrees. Very happy with the ease of install. All hardware needed was in the kit but I see where some of the older vans needed additional runs to partstore for proper fittings.

This topic has been talked about a lot on the smb forum. Here’s one to check out for some details:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f33/lets-talk-transmission-coolers-17754.html
Seems like this plus a low temp bypass is the way to go.
We see freezing from at least November to April. My van is a bogged down slug until the tranny temps get to around a hundred degrees. Those temps don’t come up at idle like the engine oil and coolant does. Not an issue during warmer months, but when winter sets in a bypass would be a nice option.
I'm considering this:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tru-Cool-LP...ash=item1a531dcca1:g:MzUAAOSwW8RbInZO&vxp=mtr
An LPD4921 is only rated for 30k GVW, but it comes with the cold weather bypass for about $170 vs about $270 for the 40k one. Or alternatively, the 40k with no bypass (to complicate things) is about $195... and I rarely see freezing here so the bypass isn’t as needed... but will I miss it?

Given I’m under 10k and likely won’t tow more than 5k... an absolute max of 10k, would it still make sense to use a 40k GVW cooler? I know it’s only money... but running too cool isn’t beneficial.

That said... it’s not 100% about weight, I’m sure wind resistance and air flow also are a factor.

Given the fluid is staying pink, should I be worried? It’s still much larger than stock.

turbodiesel

I'm leaning towards the one you linked but I need to open the front end and see how much room is in there. The max coolers are 23" wide. Might go with the 4544 which is more square.

Edit- Nevermind, I think I'll stick with the max 4921. It seems like it'll fit.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’m thinking the same.

If the 47391 fits, the smaller 4921 should also fit.

As much as the 6.0 F350 looks appealing, the $450 price tag isn’t. Since I’m running 29” tires, 4.11 gears and don’t normally tow... I think something rated for a 20k tow capacity is more than I’ll need. I’m having a hard enough time convincing myself that I need more than the stock cooler... since it was enough for its 10 years as an ambulance... plus 11 more. That said, the transmission has been replaced and I have no desire to replace it again. So in comparison, $170 for a cooler seems like a good insurance policy.

Last edited:

turbodiesel

since it was enough for its 10 years as an ambulance... plus 11 more. That said, the transmission has been replaced and I have no desire to replace it again. So in comparison, $170 for a cooler seems like a good insurance policy.
I don't plan on towing either, but do drive up toward mountains from sea level that cause issues in general.

Looking over the front end, it seems like the max cooler will fit just fine in front of the lower section of the radiator. Basically behind the bumper.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
We see freezing from at least November to April. My van is a bogged down slug until the tranny temps get to around a hundred degrees. Those temps don’t come up at idle like the engine oil and coolant does. Not an issue during warmer months, but when winter sets in a bypass would be a nice option.

Run the output line from the trans to the cooler to bring the temp down, then from the cooler through the trans cooling loop in the radiator to bring it back up to engine temp, then back to the trans.

TomsBeast

Before you buy a cooler, I would plan exactly where you will put it. My 1995 7.3 Van has these two vertical grill support braces that are in the way of using a single large unit from a 6.0 truck the hood secondary latch handle is also in the way. I picked up a second, secondhand 7.3 cooler, small and almost identical to the one that Ford put on my van . My thought was to just 'double them up', add the second one similar to the stock one, but on the passenger side.

Before I got around to adding that second cooler, Project Intercooler happened:
intercooler and trans cooler.jpg

I came across a heat exchanger from an MRI rebuild, and incorporated it into the project as the replacement trans cooler.

turbodiesel

Before you buy a cooler, I would plan exactly where you will put it. My 1995 7.3 Van has these two vertical grill support braces that are in the way of using a single large unit from a 6.0 truck the hood secondary latch handle is also in the way. I picked up a second, secondhand 7.3 cooler, small and almost identical to the one that Ford put on my van . My thought was to just 'double them up', add the second one similar to the stock one, but on the passenger side.
Interesting idea. That might do it and I'm willing to bet I could find one for cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles