1998 Ford F150 "Training Wheels" Build

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
UPDATE:

Got the MegaWarrior installed on the cap and took a trip to the beach.
IMG_1749.jpg

Bought some hella 500s for the roof rack but didn't like how they looked.They sat way too high. I am going to keep the Hellas on the rack but am figuring out how to build a flip down mount so that they will lay flat on the roof until I need them. Have done a ton of internet research but have not found anything definitive. I am thinking about a bracket/hinge with a friction lock. Still looking for ideas!
---------
Also got my lights installed behind the grille also.
IMG_1740.jpg

Wolvee

Adventurer
Nice Truck. It's nice to see another tenth Gen on here. Any F150 for that matter. My build is going slow as I'm trying to make sure everything is new before I start building and buying all the fun Overlanding type stuff.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Yeah man. It is important to prioritize. These trucks, like others, will only last if you maintain them well.

Looking forward to seeing your truck.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Man I like that center console. I wish I had one. I have the bench seats unfortunately.

Truck is looking good!

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Update

So I have put a lot of hours in since my last update.

Electrical
I installed a Fuse and Relay Box in the engine bay and ran wiring for 3 sets of lights.
I also got my switches tapped into the internal dimmer circuit.
IMG_1794.jpg
IMG_1906.jpg

I also mounted my CB antenna (black firestick 3'). But have not installed the radio yet.
IMG_1905.jpg

Mechanical
Had my spark plugs changed. $$$
Need to replace 4 shocks in the near future.

Storage

So I am looking for a low profile case to mount inside of my roof rack. It needs to be waterproof but I really don't want to pay for a Pelican case. Any ideas?
IMG_1780.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Nice work so far. How do you like the expedition center console?

Here's a fun fact for you...On top of the dash, there is a long oval looking piece that goes from the passenger side to about the middle or the dash. On my truck it is a slightly different grey color. Anyways, if you pry that off there is a very nice metal square area that dips down a little bit that you can use as a hiding spot. I've taken my truck to mexico a few times and when I do I put my passports and my cash in there because its such a great hiding spot and I don't believe anyone would look there if they were to steal something.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Nice tip on the hidden spot. I am always looking for more.

The expedition console was probably my favorite mod. I originally did it so that I could mount a CB in the console. (I have since changed my mind and am putting the CB in the dash where the pull out cup holder is.)

I went to my local salvage yard and found a wrecked 98 expedition. It took me about 2.5 hours in 95 degree sunny weather to get it and the mounting bracket out. Only cost $27 too. I cleaned it up and got it ready to go into my truck.
Luckily I did not need any additional pieces to get it to fit. I simply removed my center console and placed the expedition mounting bracket over the existing bolts.
The only modification I had to make was cutting the existing bolts. Mine were too long to allow the new console to sit flush with the floor. I took about 2" off the bolts with my dremel and it works great now.

Right now I am looking into building an internal organizer for the console as it is essentially just a bucket and stuff becomes very cluttered.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Nice. Glad it worked out for you! I've wanted cap chairs and a center console for a while...I am just having trouble making a decision on if I want to do anything since I now have over 215k on the odo.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
So I have been thinking lately about running a dual battery setup. I am at the stage of figuring out where things will fit.
I want to run 2 batts side by side on the left side of the engine bay.

I have not been able to dig up much info on running a dual battery setup on a 10th gen. Here is what I am thinking so far. Hopefully the other 10th gen owners here will weigh in with some ideas.

* 2 34/78 AGM batteries side by side in a battery box like this where the current battery is.
thumbnail.asp

From my initial dirty measurements, the dimensions will fit with almost no extra space.
The only modification I would have to do is to relocate the 4x4 solenoids somewhere else so that the battery tray can extend all the way to the firewall.

picture_php_pictureid_174562_cfc40336820bf592b4e44d6dfc0cae2fcb85986b.jpg

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Dig the truck. My Expedition is my DD and family camping vehicle so I'm always interested in how other people are outfitting theirs.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Dig the truck. My Expedition is my DD and family camping vehicle so I'm always interested in how other people are outfitting theirs.

Thanks. I just read through your thread. You definitely seem to know your way around the vehicle!

I have a coolant leak that I need to fix sooner rather than later...

------------------------

Started this fun project today...

IMG_2145.jpg

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
2016 Update

I've actually been getting out more with the pickup. I have made several camping trips in the GWNF and am having a blast with it. I have put over 15k miles on the clock since my first post! It is much more fun to spend money and time on the road (or off the road :) ) than in the driveway.
:truck:

IMG_2300.jpg
IMG_2280.jpg
IMG_2279.jpg

The pickup as it sits is perfect for all my adventure based activities. That being said, I still love to tinker.
In the past few months I installed a CB and some engine bay lights. I also started on a sleeping platform.
IMG_2041 (1).jpg
IMG_2205.jpg
IMG_2477.jpg

Planned future modifications include:
  • Moving Yakima basket to cab roof. I don't feel comfortable putting a lot of weight on the fiberglass cap.
  • Adding crossbars for canoe and kayak to shell.
  • Redoing aux electrical system.
  • Adding a winch to the front.
  • Rebuilding front and rear suspension.

Future Adventures:
  • I picked up a few Delorme atlases and am looking for some new trips to create. Weekend adventures are a blast.
  • I recently moved to NOVA so I will most likely be venturing into MD soon.
  • I am tentatively planning on taking a month off in 2020 and completing the TAT.
  • Trying to plan a 4 day trip to Cape Shore NC this summer. Most likely will be sailing instead of driving!

Cheers!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If you are not going higher, I recommend the Monroe reflex monotube shocks. I cannot wait to get them on mine. I have KYB and they are too soft, being a twin tube design. I run the monroes on 3 other rigs and all are awesome.

Love the old Ford style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles