Toasty's '98 Montero Build

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Is the 2UZ heavier than 1UZ? Thought it was same block. (I just made a googling and you are right. 2uz = iron.)

I think what i'm getting at is... if you had a 2uz/A750 combo and you're doing a bunch of wiring stuff anyways (are you using the SC400 ecu?) i can't imagine a VVTi 2uz ECU being that much harder to make happy than a VVTi 1UZ ecu. I like either choice, just thinking out loud while i'm thoroughly enjoying my 2uz vvti/a750 4runner. :)

kalieracer

Observer
I was just being funny. I am pretty excited to see what Toasty comes up with. I am pretty happy with my truck. The 5th gear would be a great add for my rig too. But for now my montero is pretty much done, once I finish the regear, front locker and 3.15 gears / armor.

This is very impressive stuff Toasty. Kalieracer's comment cracks me up. I would have thought what he's doing is pretty cool, except now it's not. I still do not understand how that v8 fits. I measured a 1UZ-FE a while back (roughly in vehicle with a tape measure) and it's just about 4" longer fore-aft. That Monty engine bay is tight as it is. How?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Has anyone tried fitting the 6G74 with a turbo? The 3000GT had twin turbos.....seems like a source for turbos and ECU’s might already exist. Looks like the 3000GT had a 3 liter 6G72.....not sure how similar the hardware would be...
Found the donor:

Looks like only the VR-4 had the turbo....and they are still expensive. Need to find a wrecked one......515404
There it is! Just rotate it 90 degrees!

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The1,2&3UZ are about the same to make happy but they go into limp mode if they don't see a transmission. The 2UZ uses the truck trans and it works differently and the engines work easiest with their companion transmission. 1&3UZ are car engines with car transmissions, they work well in the Montero because they run at high RPMs like the Mitsu engines do.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I’ve often wondered about how much communication there is between the engine and transmission.....it’s not something that comes up very often but I guess it must happen.......how else would a trans know when to shift at different rpm’s depending on load and driver demand? The trans must use throttle position and load% at least.....

Toasty

I’ve often wondered about how much communication there is between the engine and transmission.....it’s not something that comes up very often but I guess it must happen.......how else would a trans know when to shift at different rpm’s depending on load and driver demand? The trans must use throttle position and load% at least.....

The Montero uses a stand alone Aisin trans computer, so our ECU only sees TPS and temp. So they don't exactly talk other than that and TV pressure. The Toyota stuff is integrated so it works differently.

brad2274

Adventurer
Has anyone tried fitting the 6G74 with a turbo? The 3000GT had twin turbos.....seems like a source for turbos and ECU’s might already exist. Looks like the 3000GT had a 3 liter 6G72.....not sure how similar the hardware would be...
I think at least one person has done it, its talked about alot, it may been overseas. One of the problems is it being transverse, you see all the intake and piping over the trans to the left? if you clock it 90 deg and bolt it to your trans, thats not all gonna clear. Then the next issue is the turbos, i'm pretty sure they dont clear either when dropping it in. Then theres the oil pan, think youll need the SR upper/lower oil pans, not sure if the turbo motor has extras down there youll have to add. So before you even get the motor in you need to spin or swap the intake, do all custom air/intercooler lines, custom turbo mounting and exhaust downpipes, Oil pan, find an intercooler spot, etc. With the work and high cost of decent or jdm ones, i think itd be more cost effective to rebuild and SR or 3.5 sohc and build a custom turbo setup. Not sure how much benefit on the trails youll get in the end, would be fun on highways tho.

so the 1UZ makes alot of sense, the low end you want plus about the same power as that turbo engine but waaayy easier to work on

Toasty

The 1UZ VVT-i with the 5 speed auto will help a ton on the mountain grades AND the new first gear is the equivalent of having Aussie gears in the T-case. So, imagine how it will be off-road with Aussie 3.15's or even 2.27's?!

Toasty

Scored another VVT-i 4.0 last night, this one has 123k miles so i couldn't pass it up. Also got the A650 from the same car.

Toasty

Well I've bought several different donors and stuff BUT you can easily find a good donor car (complete running driving LS400) for well under a thousand. If the donor is a 4 speed you don't need adapters or anything, just wiring, custom motor mounts, exhaust, radiator modification Dakota Digital tacho signal converter and skill.

The VVT-i and 5 speed auto require an adapter which is about $800 and then you're looking at additional cost for driveshafts and T-case shifter hole will need a good stretching.

I'll make my own driveshafts and stuff so that's going to save me about $600.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles