1998 ranger build

jswift716

Adventurer
So last week I bought this 98 ext 4x4 ranger to start building, had a few Cherokees took a few trips and decided I don't want an SUV anymore so here we are the day I bought it. 176xxx miles v6 4.0 with a 3" body lift and an open 8.8 with 3.73s
780a5bbe2a165a822644d2d4f6799d22.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jswift716

Adventurer
So I cleaned the cab, and put the cargo rack in the back that used to go in my xjs, and it fits perfectly
eabafcba9e3f027225361d8e6e7c3084.jpg

jswift716

Adventurer
Today I went to get new wheels and tires for it because those weren't holding air. Half way into the 45min ride my back driver blew out.... it's not an adventure if something goes wrong right? So I had the guy meet me and we bolted the new ones on on the side of the road, so here I am
aaf10a847c5c93548a4ac81446193279.jpg
1d88895100fc0d18a10c765a0dce6f83.jpg

jswift716

Adventurer
Just need a new exhaust and my check engine light will go away. It needed an alt so I put a new 130amp in it for the future, and at the moment Its just getting driven while I look for a commercial cap with a back door to start the fun. Eventually I'll build bumpers and sliders, put a basket on the roof to even out with the taller cap I want and some other goodies. On the plus side it has a radiator and gas tank skid, I just need to update some of the suspension stuff first and it'll be good to go by spring

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Personally, I like Ranger pickups have been running a '94, 2wd 5 speed on road and camping for more than a decade trouble free.
If I remember correctly yours has the torsion bars in front, instead of coils, so lifts larger than an inch and a half or so (torsion bar twist) are more of an issue than with the older coil sprung models; very similar to my 2003 Explorer Sport, suspension wise.
Stock; the biggest off road (easy trails) issue with mine has been the small (24") tires and abysmal (3.08) gear ratio. (found some 4.10 geared differentials and axles, for my explorer) in the local scrap yard relatively cheap. I may switch the old Ford 8.8, 3.73 geared axle from the Explorer into the Ranger, if I decide to keep it. I find it difficult to get rid of an utterly reliable, very useful vehicle. The better gear ratio, stronger 31 spline axle, would let me run tires in the 31 inch range (with the added benefits of rear disk brakes).

Enjoy!

02rangeredge

Adventurer
Personally, I like Ranger pickups have been running a '94, 2wd 5 speed on road and camping for more than a decade trouble free.
If I remember correctly yours has the torsion bars in front, instead of coils, so lifts larger than an inch and a half or so (torsion bar twist) are more of an issue than with the older coil sprung models; very similar to my 2003 Explorer Sport, suspension wise.
Stock; the biggest off road (easy trails) issue with mine has been the small (24") tires and abysmal (3.08) gear ratio. (found some 4.10 geared differentials and axles, for my explorer) in the local scrap yard relatively cheap. I may switch the old Ford 8.8, 3.73 geared axle from the Explorer into the Ranger, if I decide to keep it. I find it difficult to get rid of an utterly reliable, very useful vehicle. The better gear ratio, stronger 31 spline axle, would let me run tires in the 31 inch range (with the added benefits of rear disk brakes).

Enjoy!

my 02 came with 8.8 with 4.10 and an LSD with the front torsion bars, I love the thing- so far it's only gotten stuck in 3 inches of slush on ice, a good set of tires and its an animal

jswift716

Adventurer

Enjoy!
I'm on 31s now, came from jeeps with d30 fronts and c8.25 rears. They were good with me on 33s at about 4000 lbs loaded. I'm hunting for a newer 410 lsd 8.8 and matching front diff. I do have torsions but not for long :) rangers are a new thing to me but that's the whole point i think

jswift716

Adventurer
Nothing important happened today, pulled the danger one from an exo I was running at work and my lovely lady snagged the other 2 for me from her work, she saved em from the trash and I'm more than happy to recycle them
95cd4ab0559e12e97793062b2603a8d8.jpg
41a4025d562060fc86ceb04bf65a1b55.jpg

jswift716

Adventurer
torsion bars aren't on for long? you planning a solid front axle?
Nah, that's more fab work than I wanna do with it being a daily. The biggest I plan on going is 33x10.5 anyways (maybe 35s) so I don't really need them. I just want the crossmember gone. I feel like It would be the reason I would get high centered if I do get stuck. The ifs is staying, I'm going to attempt to make my own coil over brackets, then wait until I get a 410 front diff and all new front end stuff like the upper and lowers and everything else to put them on so this year's winter won't start eating them yet. That'll give me a chance to clean up the front of the frame some. I'll do the same with the rear before or after because I do need a new bed but I'm torn on just replacing it with a good one or building a flatbed with side boxes that would still let me put a commercial cap on it.

jswift716

Adventurer
Nah, that's more fab work than I wanna do with it being a daily. The biggest I plan on going is 33x10.5 anyways (maybe 35s) so I don't really need them. I just want the crossmember gone. I feel like It would be the reason I would get high centered if I do get stuck. The ifs is staying, I'm going to attempt to make my own coil over brackets, then wait until I get a 410 front diff and all new front end stuff like the upper and lowers and everything else to put them on so this year's winter won't start eating them yet. That'll give me a chance to clean up the front of the frame some. I'll do the same with the rear before or after because I do need a new bed but I'm torn on just replacing it with a good one or building a flatbed with side boxes that would still let me put a commercial cap on it.

I'm looking for a used one of these caps, then I can start the build out of it similar to this gentleman's. He posted his truck for sale in Oregon if I remember right
6f728a05aa127c9284644e42766585b1.jpg
9b7dc2886f9015f3c4e25d1b45924103.jpg

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I don't mean to highjack the thread but here are some information responses;

my 02 came with 8.8 with 4.10 and an LSD with the front torsion bars, I love the thing- so far it's only gotten stuck in 3 inches of slush on ice, a good set of tires and its an animal

My 94 with a topper is open rear yet for some reason (even with street tires) its one of the best snow vehicles that I ever had (better than some 4wds) when the slush gets deep enough to start hitting the suspension it starts having issues though...

I'm on 31s now, came from jeeps with d30 fronts and c8.25 rears. They were good with me on 33s at about 4000 lbs loaded. I'm hunting for a newer 410 lsd 8.8 and matching front diff. I do have torsions but not for long :) rangers are a new thing to me but that's the whole point i think

For Explorer 8.8s with limited slips 4.10 gears and disk brakes look under Explorer Sports (2door) and pre 2001(or is it 2) non IRS Eddie Bauer Explorers...I forget the axle codes...

Enjoy!

jswift716

Adventurer
I don't mean to highjack the thread but here are some information responses;

My 94 with a topper is open rear yet for some reason (even with street tires) its one of the best snow vehicles that I ever had (better than some 4wds) when the slush gets deep enough to start hitting the suspension it starts having issues though...

For Explorer 8.8s with limited slips 4.10 gears and disk brakes look under Explorer Sports (2door) and pre 2001(or is it 2) non IRS Eddie Bauer Explorers...I forget the axle codes...

Enjoy!

Your good man, the more info the better, I know where to look hunted for one good enough to build for my xj before it sold. My biggest issue is buffalos heavy use of salt. I'm trying to hold out for one from the fx4 ranger so I don't have to swap the mounts to s.o.a. but if it's in good shape and the price is good....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles