1998 Trooper vs 2001 Trooper vs 2002 Rodeo

Retroglyph

Hello, Well the time has come for me to say goodbye to my 2007 Honda Element. It's been an "ok" vehicle. It is not the AWD version and so, as it is, it has poor traction and poor clearance. And as I have a rebuilt pop-up camper, I have pushed the limits of the Element's tow rating.

I am now ready to get into a new-to-me vehicle. I don't plan on rock crawling, but I need a daily driver capable of weekend towing and some dirt roads. On top of that, I have a limited budget.

I have always liked the looks of the old school boxy Trooper. But I like the look of the Rodeos, too. I am not "a car guy"... Literally, you could put a dishwasher under the hood and I wouldn't know. Ok, maybe that was more figurative. The quest for the perfect rig has been an education.

I know I want one of these REALLY BADLY and my wife is kinda ready for me to make a decision about this so I can get back to other things in life besides sifting through listings. With my degree of ignorance clearly exposed, how do I go about making an educated decision? More importantly, how do I determine if a given vehicle is "used" or "used-up", "broken-in" or just simply "broken"?

I am definitely thinking about getting a pre purchase inspection, but I wonder if a mechanic who is used to working on modern cars wouldn't just be dismissive of something older. I've talked to some people who are dismissive of Isuzu, in general, because "it isn't a toyota." That is a separate discussion. But how do I find someone (ideally in Northern California) who knows Isuzus and who could advise?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

RoadBoss

as for trooper vs rodeo, the troopers have a ton more cargo space and I believe a little better ground clearance. mechanically they're pretty similar, though I think most of the later model troopers came with a LSD in the rear, not sure about rodeos. the LSD will help a lot with traction if you don't plan on getting lockers. Also I don't think the rodeo ever got the 3.5L so the later model trooper will have a little more power.

only advantage to the rodeo is they will probably have slightly better fuel mileage on the highway due to better aerodynamics, but probably not significantly different.

as for used vs used up vs broken, typically its pretty easy to tell based on the overall condition of the vehicle. definitely try and find a lower mileage one if possible, but mostly just make sure it looks like it has been well taken care of. and make sure it doesn't do anything that seems weird or not like a normal car, and that everything works properly- starts up well, idles smooth, pulls through the power band, shifts well, heat works etc. Even down to the lights working, tires not being oddly worn, no weird clunks or rattles, the doors should shut nicely and feel solid. Isuzu's are well built and they should feel that way.

its an isuzu V6 so it will have a valve tick and probably burn some oil, especially the 3.5L, but typically those are not a big deal.
the GM auto transmission are probably the worst part, so find a manual or definitely have a mechanic check out the transmission.

Retroglyph

Hey RoadBoss - Thank you for the reply. I appreciate all the points.

So today, I found what I thought might be an affordable 1998 Trooper on craigslist. The pictures look good and the engine looked imacculate. It wasn't in my town, so I paid a guy to inspect it. Money well spent. Apparently the engine had been professionally cleaned. Despite the cleanliness, there was evidence of oil leaking from the valves and from the transmission. Also, one of the brakes and tires was significantly more worn the the rest, so perhaps indicative of a bigger issue. There were a couple of sensor issues, too.

There are more Rodeos in the area than Troopers, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for both.

Thanks for the insight.

GingerBeardMan78

My vote is for the trooper. I have a 1999 and a 2001. I love the design. But don't get have a ton of experience off road. I have been more than impressed with the off road miles I have done. The capability as stock was as capable of more than my stock wrangler.

Stay away from the automatic transmission. The 4L30e is a weak link. Get a manual. Trust me on this, I speak from experience.

TankShooter

Expedition Acolyte
You're looking at older vehicles that were more finicky and exotic than your element. I like the old Troopers too, but the 98 is twenty years old now. Go manual or don't get one, the 4L30e was trash. No dipstick/fill tube, difficult level checks, and 20 year old deals have put the majority of these in the junkyard here.

If you aren't at least a competent shade tree mechanic you'll probably spend more fixing it than buying it within the first year. If this warning doesn't scare you off find the best one you can. My 96 rodeo went like a scalded cat with the 3.2. It was awesome for what it was, it just died way too early.

LazarusLost

I love my 99, I got it for 1000$ in great shape but high miles and sadly an automatic. I just couldn't say no to the price. If you do get an automatic stay on top of the transmission. If it feels weird get it checked out. I only bought this one because it got a transmission rebuild 20k miles ago and hopefully I don't regret it. I love the Troopers tho, I sleep, camp and daily drive with mine all the time. Goodluck!

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 5.25.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-30 at 5.29.07 PM.png

GingerBeardMan78

If you're still looking: 1999 manual for $4500. (Someone else's ,not mine).
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/1999-isuzu-trooper/6610897264.html
Trooper is a 5 speed manual, 145k miles, 4x4, well maintained (it has to be, I drive it to the middle of nowhere), and ready for more offroad and overland use.

-285/75/16 BFGoodrich KO2's
-Aisin manual front hubs
-OME rear springs with spacers for 3" lift
-New low mileage power and heated seats (heat not hooked up, don't need it here in Phoenix), rear seats and new rear carpets
-Balljoints, control arm bushings, tierods, wheel bearings and alignment all within the last 6 months as part of a front end refresh
Kenwood CD player with aux input
New window tint

AC and heat work great. Power windows locks mirrors all work. Cruise control not working.

Paint is good, bumpers and wheel flares do have some fade. Some pinstriping from offroad use.

It's a fantastically reliable and capable rig. I've had it offroad up to crown king, Turkey Creek, bulldog, saguaro lake etc and have no hesitation taking it anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles