1999 G500 Pur edition

The entire original roof is removed and replaced with 2 steel cross members and a carbon fiber roof panel. The new roof has 2/3 structural C-F panel with another 1/3 opening over the rear cargo area. The roof conversion is TUV approved.

I am not sure what a RR 40 seat is, but I have been stepping up off of the ORC cabinet on the driver's side of the cargo area.

Attachments

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The entire original roof is removed and replaced with 2 steel cross members and a carbon fiber roof panel. The new roof has 2/3 structural C-F panel with another 1/3 opening over the rear cargo area. The roof conversion is TUV approved.

I am not sure what a RR 40 seat is, but I have been stepping up off of the ORC cabinet on the driver's side of the cargo area.
Carbon--slick! More pictures from inside please.

RightRear 40% (not 60% like LeftRear) seat. ;)

I had to trim a couple of inches off of my old RTT mattress to get a nice snug fit up in the Camptop.

Also got a set of roof rack tracks installed for skis and surfboards. No problem walking about up on the roof, it seems pretty sturdy.

Attachments

I got the parts at RackAttack and installed them in my driveway.

I already had the Yakima crossbars and footings that I had kept from the '85 300GD with the tropical roof which I sold in 2008. Pretty basic install, but 26 new holes through the roof panel.
The roof panel appears to be a double layer of CF sandwich with lightweight material between and an overall thickness of about 1.5-2 cm.

That's such a nice set up. Can't wait to see it in person someday. I'm most interested to see what you do below the CampTop; seats, fridge, storage etc...

Are those US type gas cans? Not Euro type? Sacrilege!
Ha ha, I have a set of Euro style green Wavian 20L tanks right now, but they are not included.

The red ones were US spec, sold those off a few years ago. Actually, they sealed better and the big opening was nice.

Little update...
Since my scrape with the hill at Hollister last year, I recently got the passenger side fully fixed up and it is good as new. There was a good 10 months of black door on a blue car. The body shop did a full trim off, doors off repaint of the affected side. Couldn't be happier with the end result. Still a little bit of dirt scrape on the rear bumper :eek:

Here's pics of my trip last weekend up to Mt Adams. Grllin and chillin. My buddy just got a Roadtrek 4x4 Sprinter "SS Agile"

G500Pur.jpg MtAdams.jpg 4x4sprinter.jpg

A few months ago I picked up a reproduction Dutch Army 461 panel for the rear door. It is satin MB7167 color like the original bumper color which is pretty cool. I got it mounted up and am still using the 460 wiper motor cover to keep the clean look. I have a 460 black door handle that is in the garage some where, should get that on as soon as it turns up.

The back was gutted in anticipation of a cabinet build out. After mocking it up with cardboard template cabinets, I decided that the 5 original seater was a pretty nice deluxe set up and I just going to keep it as a "regular" Gwagen...

RearPanel.jpg Cargo.jpg

Last edited:
My 20 Jahre Gelandewagen Club plaque had been looking a bit tatty. Luckily the 30 Jahre edition was released last year and I picked one up on my trip to Germany last Fall.(y)

30Jahre.jpg