1999 G500 Pur edition

otiswesty

Regular guy
The entire original roof is removed and replaced with 2 steel cross members and a carbon fiber roof panel. The new roof has 2/3 structural C-F panel with another 1/3 opening over the rear cargo area. The roof conversion is TUV approved.

I am not sure what a RR 40 seat is, but I have been stepping up off of the ORC cabinet on the driver's side of the cargo area.

Attachments

• cut.jpg
    cut.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 54
  • roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 339

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The entire original roof is removed and replaced with 2 steel cross members and a carbon fiber roof panel. The new roof has 2/3 structural C-F panel with another 1/3 opening over the rear cargo area. The roof conversion is TUV approved.

I am not sure what a RR 40 seat is, but I have been stepping up off of the ORC cabinet on the driver's side of the cargo area.

Carbon--slick! More pictures from inside please.

RightRear 40% (not 60% like LeftRear) seat. ;)

otiswesty

Regular guy
I had to trim a couple of inches off of my old RTT mattress to get a nice snug fit up in the Camptop.

Also got a set of roof rack tracks installed for skis and surfboards. No problem walking about up on the roof, it seems pretty sturdy.

Attachments

• Mattress.jpg
    Mattress.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Yakima.jpg
    Yakima.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 111

otiswesty

Regular guy
I got the parts at RackAttack and installed them in my driveway.

I already had the Yakima crossbars and footings that I had kept from the '85 300GD with the tropical roof which I sold in 2008. Pretty basic install, but 26 new holes through the roof panel.
The roof panel appears to be a double layer of CF sandwich with lightweight material between and an overall thickness of about 1.5-2 cm.

McBride

Adventurer
That's such a nice set up. Can't wait to see it in person someday. I'm most interested to see what you do below the CampTop; seats, fridge, storage etc...

otiswesty

Regular guy
Are those US type gas cans? Not Euro type? Sacrilege!

Ha ha, I have a set of Euro style green Wavian 20L tanks right now, but they are not included.

The red ones were US spec, sold those off a few years ago. Actually, they sealed better and the big opening was nice.

otiswesty

Regular guy
Little update...
Since my scrape with the hill at Hollister last year, I recently got the passenger side fully fixed up and it is good as new. There was a good 10 months of black door on a blue car. The body shop did a full trim off, doors off repaint of the affected side. Couldn't be happier with the end result. Still a little bit of dirt scrape on the rear bumper :eek:

Here's pics of my trip last weekend up to Mt Adams. Grllin and chillin. My buddy just got a Roadtrek 4x4 Sprinter "SS Agile"

G500Pur.jpgMtAdams.jpg4x4sprinter.jpg

otiswesty

Regular guy
We were down in Mex last month visiting a couple of local Gwagen famous Mexi-Germans and hitting the beach in my 89 VW Syncro van

ThreeAmigos.jpgSantispac.jpg

otiswesty

Regular guy
A few months ago I picked up a reproduction Dutch Army 461 panel for the rear door. It is satin MB7167 color like the original bumper color which is pretty cool. I got it mounted up and am still using the 460 wiper motor cover to keep the clean look. I have a 460 black door handle that is in the garage some where, should get that on as soon as it turns up.

The back was gutted in anticipation of a cabinet build out. After mocking it up with cardboard template cabinets, I decided that the 5 original seater was a pretty nice deluxe set up and I just going to keep it as a "regular" Gwagen...

RearPanel.jpgCargo.jpg

Last edited:

otiswesty

Regular guy
My 20 Jahre Gelandewagen Club plaque had been looking a bit tatty. Luckily the 30 Jahre edition was released last year and I picked one up on my trip to Germany last Fall.(y)

30Jahre.jpg

otiswesty

Regular guy
We had the G500 out for a trip in eastern Oregon last week. Some hiking into Mt Jefferson, Christmas Valley, Hart Mountain, Steens Mountains, Alvord Desert

Attachments

• Twotrack.jpg
    Twotrack.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 51
  • LostForest.jpg
    LostForest.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Dune edge.jpg
    Dune edge.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Holeground.jpg
    Holeground.jpg