19k miles with OME/ Dakar suspension for 2015 Frontier

SnowedIn

Observer
After a long, very overloaded road trip across the western US, I had my stock Pro4x suspension replaced. (Shout out here to Mule Expedition Outfitters for parts and labor)

Only 21k miles on the stock parts, but zero regrets about swapping them out. New parts:

- OME struts with HD coils up front
- ARB bumper (no winch yet - a pile of Maxtrax has served me well)

- OME Dakar medium leaf pack in back, with the OME shocks.
- Also have a RTT over the bed, ~140 lbs including mounting stuff.

- Stock Pro4x wheels and OEM Hanook P-metric RF10's

I have since added 19k miles to this setup. If I could do it over again, I would have the new suspension on before I ticked over 1k on the odometer. The stock truck is nice, but 2 adults and fuel/water/self recovery equipment for a couple of days off pavement in the desert and you're going to be sitting pretty low in the back.

I daily drive with the RTT on, and usually with a Hi-lift bolted down in the bed and a hard case with some tools (~50 lbs). Rides great, and doesn't ride low in the rear when adding 20 gallons of water, 10 gallons of gas, and some other odds and ends. With only the RTT the rear rake is noticeable, but the ride is not obnoxious. OME says the medium leaf pack is for +150lbs, but I suspect that may be compared to the regular SV leaf pack; the Pro4x cargo capacity is 300-400lbs less than the SV.

Emptying the bed to do errands, you can put just about anything that will actually fit in there without worrying about the weight.

Obviously you're not getting any increased ground clearance with this setup under the rear axle, and not much under the oil pan, but I've had zero issues on obstacles that some would consider unreasonable for the stock tire size and wheelbase. I wasn't going for lift, but it does provide the stated ~50mm front and rear while loaded.

Note, I do not drive like a maniac off pavement, so I can't speak to how the setup handles high speed washboards and whatnot.

I may get some pics up later, but the TL : DR version is that if you're on the fence about getting a replacement leaf pack, just do it.

Last edited:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
This is a subject that has been weighing on me lately. I've put off suspension mods for years and it's finally getting where I almost dread driving my Xterra if there is any extra weight on it. It handles terribly and bounces around. In all other respects it's a joy to drive, but if there is a bump in the road it just upsets everything and this is even when I'm empty.

On the interstate recently, I hit a bridge going about 65-70, it felt like the truck hopped sideways a foot. I had the RTT on and gear loaded and it just drove horrible. I was going to leave my RTT on for the season but I eventually took it off because it was affecting my handling so bad I just about stopped driving it.

Glad you are happy with OME. FOr a while I figured I would go that route but now I don't know.

I'd been thinking of OME leafs but I heard a rash of reports lately on them squeaking something awful, my alternate plan is Alcans.

Also was thinking OME up front but lately leaning toward Radflo coilovers and new UCA's.

At this point I'm not too sure I care about cost. I mean I want what I pay for but I'm about to the point I want whatever gets me a great ride on top a few inches lift even if it's not cheap.

SnowedIn

Observer
My stock leafs squeaked quite a bit once they got a lot of dirt in them, but I haven't noticed any issues with the Dakars yet.

The cost of the suspension parts and labor was not a whole lot more than 5 nice MT's mounted and balanced, but was a whole lot more useful IMHO.

bijanjames

Adventurer
I have your same set-up on a 11' Frontier Pro4X, except with HD leafs in the rear. My truck has around 800lb of armour and a fiberglass topper, 210lb rtt, fridge, ARB drawer, hilift, fridge, arkpak, etc..It is heavy!! Around 1,500lb total additional weight...The suspension has around 18k on it and the truck has 45k. So far holding up very well.

goFWD

Thanks for the info. I have a 2012 Pro4X and have been looking at this package a lot. For my needs, I think it would be a good fit, and it's also a lot more affordable than the adjustable coilover packages available (nothing wrong with those, but given they add little to no extra wheel travel, I find the cost a bit high).

Have any of you with this package added or felt the need to add aftermarket UCAs? I've read of some owners who have had coil bucket contact with this package, and PRG even offers an upgrade kit specifically for it (includes SPC UCAs and a 1-inch spacer).

bijanjames

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. I have a 2012 Pro4X and have been looking at this package a lot. For my needs, I think it would be a good fit, and it's also a lot more affordable than the adjustable coilover packages available (nothing wrong with those, but given they add little to no extra wheel travel, I find the cost a bit high).

Have any of you with this package added or felt the need to add aftermarket UCAs? I've read of some owners who have had coil bucket contact with this package, and PRG even offers an upgrade kit specifically for it (includes SPC UCAs and a 1-inch spacer).

I have the SPC upper control arm and a spacer. When installed Nisstec did shave the coil bucket to negate any contact.

SnowedIn

Observer
I got some very light coil bucket contact going over speed bumps too fast when empty. Never had any issues offroad. I might spring for new upper control arms if/when the front struts need replaced, although I have no idea when that might happen, if ever.

I can't seem to find a lot of my recent pictures (just moved), but here is one. I use the stock Pro4X skids in conjunction with whatever plate came with the bumper to bridge the gap down to the stock front skidplate.

Parked.jpg

jhberria

Adventurer
I love OME suspension components. For about 20k miles, I ran OME front Coilovers with SPC UCAs and 1.5 inch spacers. I loved this setup, but when I installed by ARB bumper, the medium duty springs just couldn't handle the weight. I "upgraded" to Nisstec MK84 Coilovers with 690lb springs and one inch spacers. After about 25k miles with the Mk84s, both lower spherical bearings were shot, with the passenger side making a horrific squeaking noise. Also, both eibach springs had rust patches. Of note, when I sold my original OME Coilovers the springs, bushings, and everything else were in great condition after 35k of hard use. Only signs of wear were the paint chips on the trademark yellow struts.

About two months ago, I swapped back out the MK84s for new OME Coilovers with HD springs and 1.5 inch spacers again. I now have a 9500 lb winch in addition to the bumper up front, and this is the ideal setup in my opinion. Plenty of travel (relatively) and I don't worry about the backwoods durability of this setup like I did with the previous Coilovers. Of note, I recently swapped my rear OME shocks (with 50k trouble free miles) for radflo emulsion rear shocks. Admittedly, the Radflos do dampen washboard dirt tracks and potholes much better than the OME rear shocks. The rear stays more planted at higher speeds. I kept the OME shocks as backups for when I inevitably have to get the Radflos rebuilt, as they also have those spherical bearings at the lower mount.

Here's a picture of my X with the current suspension configuration.

Mo4130

Adventurer
E122E869-DFF5-4460-B065-F47D2F45217D.jpg

That is an hd pack with drawers full of gear tools and cooking supplies. Aux battery shell and fridge. Drives like a dream.

E.J.

Explorer
22548967_10214977511777833_5069902494249092966_o.jpg
HD coils + 1/2" spacer up front (stock UCA's, added bump stops to them), medium leafs in the back. Got around 20k miles on them, so far so good. The leafs used to squeak and drive me crazy but then I read about hitting them with the high pressure hose at the car wash, quiets them down good until they get packed with dirt again.

I have a 2012 Suzuki Equator RMZ-4 running OME med Dakar's & nitrochargers on the rear and med coils & struts on the front with SPC UCAs for about 35K now. I have a full set of Hefty steel skids, sliders and an aluminum front bumper. The truck has a fiberglass topper and an extra tire in the bed. My truck rides great on & offroad. I do air down to 25psi on the FS roads and this helps a lot with the washboards. I removed the front sway bar and still have good stability. I do run cooper ST/MAXX & Kumho MT-51s so the sidewall ratings really help with roll/lean. I do notice squeaking but it is mild and well worth the performance and piece of mind with not worrying about overloading and handling problems.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
I've been running the TJM MD's up front with a AAL and 5100's in the rear. It has done okay and gives nice lift. When fully loaded down on our trip to Colorado and then again to Overland Expo the smallest bump made the rear bottom out. Was going to Radflo all around and get Alcan's but really, I'm leaning more and more towards OME after reading some threads around here and talking to other Xterra owners that have this setup. Now we just have to get BP51s for the Xterra/Frontier.

Obrianmcc

Observer
I've logged approx 5k miles on a Bilstein/OME Lift on my Pro4X. I felt like the stock suspension "wallowed" and wondered way too much. To me it seemed the rear felt under sprung compared to the front. Any weight in the back made it handle like turd. I wanted some additional clearance and opted from OME Mediums in the rear with Bilstein 5100's all around set at 2". Added clearance was spot on at 2" and the ride characteristics of the truck are much improved. I also added in a Ride Rite Air Bag system for towing.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I'll be honest, I am going to be ditching my Radflos in order to go with OME HDs for the front and some spacers. The coilovers are great at speed over washboards, but they're noisy and pick up every bump in the road. Coilovers have their place, but I don't think my application is it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles