1Gen Tundra DoubleCab - first Baja test

SBSYNCRO

Well, I just returned last night from about a 1,700 mile round trip journey around Baja that included stops in Bahias Tortugas, Asuncion, and Los Angeles, & Punta San Francisquito, among other less well-known spots. if I get around to writing up a complete trip report, I'll post under the appropriate forum, but I did want to record some thoughts regarding the setup I'm currently running and my plans for some changes.

The truck is a 2005 DC Limited 4WD. I have Icon 2.5" coilovers with Camburg UCAs up front and a set of Deaver 3-pack AALs and an additional Wheeler's single (thick) AAL to stiffen up the rear. Rear shocks are Bilstein 5100s.

I'm running 285 series Revo II tires on ATX Mojave wheels.

I also brought along a Tiregate "Hitchgate Adventure Series" tire carrier with the dual can Jerry can mount and a pair of NATO cans from Lexington Container. The truck was HEAVILY loaded up with 75 liters of water, 3 guys, and spearfishing gear for both the Pacific and Cortez side.

Well, this was my first overland trip to Baja in about 20 years and BOY HAS IT CHANGED! Bottom line, you no longer even need a truck to get to some of the most remote places. There are paved roads EVERYWHERE now! Also, there is never more than about 100 miles between Pemex stations and in places where there was no gas 20 years ago, there are now TWO or THREE Pemex stations!

Needless to say, the jerry cans never even got used because the availability of gas was so good. I filled one of them before we headed off road on a long off-road drive, not knowing whether there would be gas at the other end. There was...

In my opinion, a lot of Baja no longer requires extensive planning and careful preparation. Any weekend schmuck could reach the spots we went in a Subaru Forrester or Kia Sorrento with little more thought than getting the time off work.

Impressions on my setup (and some questions)

(1) The truck swayed and wallowed BADLY when loaded up. I aired the rear tires from 28 psi up to 36 psi and this helped a lot, but the ride is still very unstable for my taste. If I braked into or accelerated out of a turn, the rear would unload or load up and cause yawing and swaying, which forced us to drive VERY conservatively on winding sections of road. It also just wallowed up and down a lot over rolling terrain.

(2) Going over topes (speed bumps) in some towns, or dips/rises off road would cause the back to bottom out unless we crept over them very slowly.

(3) The Tiregate is a very well-constructed piece of gear, but the license plate light doesn't work. It relies on making a ground from the frame of the unit itself through the receiver hitch connection. Power (+) is supplied by a direct line from the existing license place lamp. I tested everything with a volt meter and the only thing missing is (-) continuity between the truck's frame and the Hitchgate.

(4) The Tundra DC is a very comfortable rig for an overland Baja Expedition. It had sufficient clearance for everything we tried. We didn't do any recreational off-roading - just rough dirt roads to get to fish camps or remote beaches. I just need to figure out the rear suspension situation.

This leads me to my questions:

I use this truck a lot when it is very lightly loaded (solo trips to the sierras, etc) and want to preserve the good ride when lightly loaded. However, I want to be able to load it up like we did on this truck and not have such a scary, mushy ride wallowing all over like a drunk elephant. I think its a combination of worn out/under-valved shocks in the rear and being under-sprung.

The options I'm considering are (1) Custom spring pack (2) Airbags or (3) a "roadmaster" suspension kit. Along with a new set of shocks

I'm not very concerned with harming "off road performance" since this is not a recreational off-road vehicle (its a Tundra DC after all...). But I don't want something that CRIPPLES the ability to get to those remote fish camps....

(1) The custom spring pack would have to be built for the heaviest load I expect, then it would ride too rough, so its probably not the ideal solution

(2) The airbags seem like an easy, inexpensive fix, and have the flexibility of adding or removing air depending on the load I'm carrying

(3) The Roadmaster seems to be gimmicky, but I've seen some positive things about them, so I'm curious if there is any experience here with using them..

Any recommendations on good stout rear shocks that will accommodate the 2.5" lift in the rear?

Any comments or suggestions would be very welcome!

Also if anyone wants any current info on Baja conditions, hit me up and I'll share whatever I can.

Oh, I also destroyed the front bumper (a "Baja tattoo") hitting a hidden cement post one night. So I'm now in the market for a new aftermarket bumper too...

-Brent

IMG_2841.jpg
IMG_2844.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2845.jpg
    IMG_2845.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 52

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Clean tundra. I'm somewhat in the same boat. Unsure what to do in the rear. I still have stock springs and blocks. Which i like so far because it rides like stock. I guess I haven't loaded it up as much as you have yet. I plan on loading up more weight in the future and can't figure out what suspension to do. I think your air bag idea is the best overall set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
I would do new springs, and just carry some ballast when it isn't loaded for trips.

With it loaded and soft springs, you're way down in the shock's stroke...it won't dampen properly.

SBSYNCRO

I ended up installing some Ride Rite bags along with Daystar cradles. I haven't loaded the truck up since then, but I did find that with 15 lbs of air in them the truck felt suddenly way "over-sprung" and less controlled. Airing them down to 5 psi seems to feel about right with nothing in the back (except the fiberglass shell).

I had some problems with the Icon coilovers (excessive rattling, which ended up being lousy QA). I had to pay to have the springs removed (and replaced with my old Bilstein 5100s) while they were sent in for warranty support (with less than 2,000 miles on them). Yea, they fixed the problem for free, but it cost me $800 to have them removed and replaced and to ship them to the Icon factory.

Needless to say it is the last piece of gear I'll ever buy from Icon.

Once I get them reinstalled in the front (and hopefully without any more rattling!) I'll have a better sense of how the setup is performing. The 5100s are excessively harsh, IMO.

drobb

Adventurer
Have you thought about running Kings up front? They work very well on our Sequoia..... Basically same set up as a Tundra

SBSYNCRO

Have you thought about running Kings up front? They work very well on our Sequoia..... Basically same set up as a Tundra

Already spent the $1,500 on Icons! :( They are the former Donahoe which always have had a great rep. My experience may be atypical but it sure wasn't great!

tyv12

Adventurer
Ran icons for 8 months, shock started sweating bad, Icon said that's normal, which I thought is a load of crap, I've run SAW for over 4 years with no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drobb

Adventurer
Already spent the $1,500 on Icons! :( They are the former Donahoe which always have had a great rep. My experience may be atypical but it sure wasn't great!

I hear ya. Just hope Icon compensates you in some way for all the hassle.....They seem to be a great company with great products, but I'd be pi$$ed:mad:

SBSYNCRO

I hear ya. Just hope Icon compensates you in some way for all the hassle.....They seem to be a great company with great products, but I'd be pi$$ed:mad:

Nope. I talked to the GM there for about 30 minutes. Explained that I had a professional shop install them (that has an award winning Baja race team) and asked for some gesture to make up for my hassle, disappointment in their product AND my out-of-pocket expenses. "Free warranty service" was all they offered. Not even reimbursement for shipping. Despite the fact that I pointed out that THEIR lousy QA caused me to spend more money on R&R than I paid for the ^}*%@* coilovers in the first place.

My conclusion was that they have terrible customer service. If you have a problem, you are **** outta luck unless you have deep pockets.

seanpistol

Explorer
Not surprised. I had the bushings on my driver side 5100 pretty much blow out after 10,000 miles- contacted Bilstein and all they'd do was send me new bushings. What about pulling the shock and the cost of having the old one pressed out and the new one pressed in? That was apparently up to me.

Clutch

<---Pass
Ran icons for 8 months, shock started sweating bad, Icon said that's normal, which I thought is a load of crap, I've run SAW for over 4 years with no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My SAW's have 220'000 miles on them. Never leaked...I rebuilt them twice just to have fresh oil in there...the last re-build I replaced the heims. They have been solid.

drobb

Adventurer
Sorry to hear about the crappy service. If you do decide to buy something else, check out these guys. They're great!!!!

Downsouthmotorsports.com

Derek24

Explorer
Yep I didn't like my icons either. I preferred my 5100s and OME mix better, and I really like my toytec ultimate kit on the sequoia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior