1st Gen 4runner Suspension Suggestions

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
I have an 86 4runner that I have been trying to decide what route I am going with the
suspension. I'm not interested in building a SAS, a crawler mudder, or any other combo of big tire
monster. Right now the suspension is stock and I'm running 265/75r16s which I am very happy with.
I do not want to go larger than 33's. The rear sits 1.50" low, and the shocks are shot all around.
One route I have been considering is the OME 2" + Ball joint spacers, then back the tension off on the
torsion bars to lower the front to an even height with the rear. From what I've read, that will equate to a nice ride, and more
droop over stock setup.

What are your suggestions, what do you have, or what would you do?
I prefer stock parts, and nothing like the Long travel Kits available now. If I am on a vacation, and something breaks, I want to be able to get it back on the road with easily found parts.

Toyotero

Explorer
It sounds like you've decided what what want and done your homework on how to get it.
OME has gotten great reviews for all their products and their US distribution network for their service.

One thing to watch when evening up the front and rear is that the fender openings are different heights. The fronts are higher than the rear, for a kind of pre-runner look I'd guess. So even at proper height, the rear can look "saggy."

Of course, the rear springs are worn out on most that have the factory set, which only worsens the appearance.

You can see it in this brochure image:

1998001_1985_4Runner_Black_Snow_Shot.jpg

corax

Explorer
FWIW, here's what I found with the OME rear springs. I'm happy with them on and off road, though I did go the extra mile to at the same time to do a u-bolt flip.

One thing to watch when evening up the front and rear is that the fender openings are different heights. The fronts are higher than the rear, for a kind of pre-runner look I'd guess. So even at proper height, the rear can look "saggy."

Even most cars have more fender gap in the front than in the rear - I always thought it had more to do with the fact that the front tires have to turn as well a cycle up and down, whereas the rear just go up and down and don't need the extra opening

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz