1st or 2nd generation Tacoma?

supermoo

Observer
So I am looking for a new truck that I will use a lot in the mountains of Colorado. I wont be doing any crazy off-roading, but I will be doing a fair amount of 'back in there' jeep roads to get to where I want to mountain bike/camp. I have been looking at both the 1st and the 2nd generation Tacoma's and wondered what the forum's feeling for the plus's and minus's of each generation Tacoma. Is the 2nd generation worth the additional spend? What do you get that is that much better in the 2nd generation? I would be looking for the crew cab in both models. So as much apples to apples as possible.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Derek24

Explorer
Power and size is really the main difference. 1st gen being smaller and less power, but more trail friendly. I remember my friends 04' Dcab Tacoma being kinda gutless, but that's coming from driving my Tundra, but the size is much nicer when the trail gets skinny. Another option is to look at the 1st gen Tundra's which are very close in size compared to the 2nd gen Tacoma's, but much cheaper. Tacoma's do have the upper hand when it comes to aftermarket support!

First gens are nice, VERY reliable but the newest model is getting old (8 years). Go as late model as possible. Coming from a first gen owner hoping to skip the second gen. I do not like the dash of the second gen and hoping for a low sulfer D4D with the 3rd gen due in 2014!

Rotorgeek

Adventurer
I drive a mostly stock 06 extra cab TRD Offroad Tacoma and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I also live in CO., Denver area, and I have done quite a few of the passes and trails around here. It does just fine on most stuff as is, minor rock rash on both rear quarters :oops: but I plan lifting 2-3" and getting a set of sliders soon. I have kind of learned I don't really like looking for the nastiest rock wall to climb, but I like looking for the out of the way places of peace and beauty to share with friends. (Oh the cheese!! Did I really?)
Only thing I have seen that makes me want to sell my truck is the newer ones.:drool:

We've got an '03 double cab, and when it's loaded up with people and gear the 3.4 V6 is kinda wimpy. The 3.4 puts out about +/-190hp, whereas the 4.0 in the 2nd gen trucks puts out about 240. That's another 25% of power. Significant. 2nd gens are a little bigger (wider and longer), and do pretty closely match the dimensions of the 1st gen Tundra. With the Tundra you'd be running the 4.7 V8, which is more power yet, but thirstier, and the truck is another 1000lbs heavier. The double cab short (5 foot) bed is the common double cab configuration, but it was available in the double cab long (6.5 foot) bed.
The perfect truck for me would be a 2nd gen DC long bed....... but that'll have to wait. Anybody think prices will come down once the Tacoma gets redesigned? One of the things I love about our 03 is the rear e-locker. I don't know what the availability of that factory locker is/was in the 2nd gens.

I'd find a couple trucks to test drive if I were you. I think there's a little more aftermarket support for the 2nd gens, but 1st gen support isn't bad by any means.

MidnightRider

MidnightRider
I like that the 1st Gen Tacos because they are smaller. Iv'e always liked mini-trucks. It seems like I can get to more places, like tucked away camp spots, sketchy shelf roads (think big overhang , steep dropoffs), Jeep roads with obstacles (rocks, trees, & skinny mountain rds, and with a LOT less pinstriping than with a full size truck.

It seems to me like theres more demand for 1st Gen Tacomas, than 2nd, making for better resale value. It's really hard to find one here in SoCal. I looked for over 4 months until I found the 1st Gen Tacoma I wanted.

I have even been offered a trade for a 2nd gen Taco ( a few years newer with less miles) looked like had been used for work doing landscaping. No thanks.

p nut

butter
Basically, either platform will be more than capable for your uses. So based on comfort and power factor, I'd go 2nd gen. 4.0L V6 with 5-sp auto is awesome.

Sincerely,

1st Gen Tacoma owner.

supermoo

Observer
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I do agree that the additional power in the 2nd generation Taco is going to be a lot nicer heading over the passes when loaded down with passengers and gear. Having had multiple Toyota trucks but no 2nd generation, hearing from other 2nd gen owners is a plus. I plan on getting/modifying whatever I get to meet my needs so the additional power will come in handy. There are plenty of nice trucks here on the forum for me to drool over, so now just need to make the choice happen.

One last question, has anyone put on the TRD supercharger on one of the trucks, or is that just a total waste of modification funds?

achampagne

Explorer
What ever you choose, make sure you get the rear locker. I have an 2008 crew cab tacow/trd package and it does very well with lots of power.

haddix

Adventurer
Test drive both and go from there. I personally love the size (and everything else to be honest) of my 1st gen. For what I do I've never needed more power but everyone is different. I usually wheel with jeeps so sometimes i wish my truck was smaller so i couldnt imagine a bigger rig. I believe everyone can agree that no matter which you choose you will be very happy. As mentioned about get the rear locker. I have used mine many of times and have been very happy with it.

deadbeat son

Explorer
Just FYI someone in CO (Not mine, just found link) selling 1st gen on another forum.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189334
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3113899206.html

For the OP's intended use, 37" tires and a SAS seem kind of pointless. While they may add "cool points" to the truck, they also open up additional cans of worms with regard to maintenance and upkeep.

OP, I use my 2nd gen for the same purpose you indicate you would. The truck is mostly stock with the exception of tires and sliders for protection. The increased power is great for pulling the various passes on the highway while driving with a load of gear. The only thing I would like to add is stiffer suspension so it handles better with a load, but I don't have the need for any sort of lift.

supermoo

Observer
For the OP's intended use, 37" tires and a SAS seem kind of pointless. While they may add "cool points" to the truck, they also open up additional cans of worms with regard to maintenance and upkeep.

OP, I use my 2nd gen for the same purpose you indicate you would. The truck is mostly stock with the exception of tires and sliders for protection. The increased power is great for pulling the various passes on the highway while driving with a load of gear. The only thing I would like to add is stiffer suspension so it handles better with a load, but I don't have the need for any sort of lift.

I dont think I need a truck with 37" tires but that. For me, it will be used in the winter months a lot going to the mountains. My 'off roading' will be pretty limited to getting to trail heads with the bikes and setting up a nice place to camp. Maybe I will get some off-road time, but I dont see it being to adventurous. You never know.

Coming from an Audi S4 Avant, which I have taken to tons of back road trail heads, despite the terrified look on my mechanics face, the car has done amazingly well. It has 190k on it now but still going strong. I need something with more clearance but dont want to give up too much power for getting over the CO passes.

Thanks for all the input. Super helpful.

AxleIke

Adventurer
IMO, get the 2nd gen. More room is better, and more power is better. Unless you are really going up some tight trails, the little bit of width difference between the two isn't going to matter. Personally, I still find the Tacoma's small inside, especially the rear seat of the double cab. But, if you don't carry more than 2 adults very often, then that won't be an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne