1st vs 2nd gen Tacoma

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
BogusBlake said:
Not true. It's the 4runners from around the turn of the century that have that T-case. My '04 DC Taco (only availible with AT) has a fully manual T-case. In fact, that's one of the many reasons I bought it.

Interesting. So who got the pushbutton shift 4wd? Is yours a TRD? Was that a TRD/Non TRD thing or did it come with some other package? I have seen DC tacos with the push button on the side of the T-case lever, but I didn't make note of what trim level it was.

Also, this "Gen" thing you guys have been getting wrong has been bugging me.

Pickups
1st gen= '79-84
2nd gen= '84-'88
3rd gen= '89-'95

4runners
1st gen= '84-88 (looks like 2ng gen pickup)
2nd gen= '89-'95 (looks like 3rd gen pickup)
3rd gen= '96-'03 (looks like 1st gen Taco)
4th gen= '03 and up

Tacoma
1st gen= '95.5-'04
2nd gen= '05 and up

Here's a link to some more history: History of Toyota Pickups and 4runners

I could be even more pedantic and point out that the first Toyota truck sold in the US was the Stout, circa 1965, so the '79-'84 was probably at least the 3rd gen of small trucks. But I assume you meant the generations of 4wd trucks. :p But yes, I agree that it's silly to divide the 95.5-04 Tacos into 3 different eras based on the "facelifts." They were essentially the same truck.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Martinjmpr said:
I could be even more pedantic and point out that the first Toyota truck sold in the US was the Stout, circa 1965, so the '79-'84 was probably at least the 3rd gen of small trucks. But I assume you meant the generations of 4wd trucks. :p But yes, I agree that it's silly to divide the 95.5-04 Tacos into 3 different eras based on the "facelifts." They were essentially the same truck.
That's something that's bugged me when people say 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. pickup when referencing the 4WD trucks. In reality the 4th generation Hilux was the first one available with 4WD. So a 1992 Toyota Pickup is actually a 6th generation Hilux, 3rd generation 4WD. The 7th generation Hilux came out roughly (in 1997 as for a 1998 model year) when we got the 1st generation Tacoma. Toyota has had a history of facelifts. They did it in 1992 with the Hilux, changed the grill appearance and made some pretty substantial mechanical and electrical changes.

The breakdown AFAIK:
1st Gen Hilux, 1969-72
2nd Gen Hilux, 1973-74
3rd Gen Hilux, 1975-78
4th Gen Hilux, 1979-83 (first with 4WD)
5th Gen Hilux, 1984-88
6th Gen Hilux, 1989-95 (US), -97 (World)
7th Gen Hilux, 1998-04
8th Gen Hilux, 2005-Current

nickw

Adventurer
DaveInDenver said:
That's something that's bugged me when people say 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. pickup when referencing the 4WD trucks. In reality the 4th generation Hilux was the first one available with 4WD. So a 1992 Toyota Pickup is actually a 6th generation Hilux, 3rd generation 4WD. The 7th generation Hilux came out roughly (in 1997 as for a 1998 model year) when we got the 1st generation Tacoma. Toyota has had a history of facelifts. They did it in 1992 with the Hilux, changed the grill appearance and made some pretty substantial mechanical and electrical changes.

The breakdown AFAIK:
1st Gen Hilux, 1969-72
2nd Gen Hilux, 1973-74
3rd Gen Hilux, 1975-78
4th Gen Hilux, 1979-83 (first with 4WD)
5th Gen Hilux, 1984-88
6th Gen Hilux, 1989-95 (US), -97 (World)
7th Gen Hilux, 1998-04
8th Gen Hilux, 2005-Current

Your going to confuse the poor guy. Most of the guys over on TTORA and PIRATE use the references of 1st - 4th gen., it is common practice by the masses. When in Rome...

kcowyo

ExPo Original
nickw said:
Most of the guys over on TTORA and PIRATE use the references of 1st - 4th gen., it is common practice by the masses.

That's reason enough for me to continue muddying the waters of the "gen differences." :ar15:

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Back on topic, I also prefer the 01-04 Tacos over any other years. The 05+ is too big for my tastes, and has less forward visibility. Your best bet is to sell yours and buy a used TRD 4x4 of whatever vintage you prefer, even it is the same year as your current truck!

Bergger

Explorer
Martinjmpr said:
Interesting. So who got the pushbutton shift 4wd? Is yours a TRD? Was that a TRD/Non TRD thing or did it come with some other package? I have seen DC tacos with the push button on the side of the T-case lever, but I didn't make note of what trim level it was.

My 03 Dbl Cab SR5 TRD also has the manual t-case. From what I've seen the Limited Trim models came with the electronic case. I'm not sure if it was an option on the SR5 or not? I love my truck but have also ridden in the newer models and they are also very nice. I don't think you can go wrong with either truck but I'm still partial to the looks of the older Tacoma. As far as room the new trucks are definitely wider but the rear seat of the older Dbl cab has slightly more leg room 33.7 vs 32.6 inches. It is noticeable. This is probably due to the bigger seats of the new model.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I've been mulling this over in my head too! All this talk is just making it more confusing :cow: .
I have an 01 4runer (electronic into 4wd and then manual to shift transfer case). I love it for expeditions. Its like being a turtle with my home on my back. If its cold or raining I don't even have to get out to crawl into bed. The ONLY thing that I feel like my truck lacks was evident last weekend as a desert race. I have now where to put stuff thats not clean...
No place to put tires or race gas.
Sure I can carry all of my own spare gas and spare tires, but I have no where to put a 39 inch tire and a 15 gallon dump can and it makes me sad. :shakin:
So now I want a tacoma again and I'm looking at these.
01-04 d-cab tacoma trd 4x4 loaded.
05 tacoma d-cab 4x4.
01-08 Toyota Hilux Diesel from mexico now that I've learned how to buy one down there and import it... (just need to find a used well priced. Where does one search for mexico used trucks in Sonora) :costumed-smiley-007

What to do, what to do? :(

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Having owned ALL gens of the Tacoma... I will say this.

The newer gen 4 door (4th gen) is much more refined for a family vhicle than any previous iteration. Better seats, more room, much more storage bins/cubbies etc., better engine and auto trans. Long distance road trips are a pleasure, great off-roadability, and safety is improved. The interior comfort level of the new Tacomas is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than anything else wearing the Tacoma badging.

All gens have pros and cons of course, but as a DD and for the family the newer model is THE "do everything" vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94