1x1_Speed_Craig's utility/camping trailer build_v2.0

1x1_Speed_Craig

After countless hours planning, gathering parts, planning some more, and running into a few "road blocks" with my original utility/camping trailer build plans, I decided to road-trip to Kentucky this past weekend and pick up a M101A3 trailer to use as a basis for my utility/camping trailer (I also got to see a good friend in Kentucky who I haven't seen in a while...bonus). The private owner I dealt with had several A2 & A3 trailers to choose from, and was absolutely wonderful to work with.

I ended up getting a recently re-furbished (by the military) M101A3 complete with fiberglass side rails, bows, and cover. I got a better deal by having the seller swap a set of nice BFG 31"(ish) E-rated tires from one of his A2s in place of the 37" Humvee tires w/beadlocks & run-flats. This worked much better, as my Jeep only has 31" tires with a budget boost.

Despite the comments I have seen about the weight of these trailers, I'm not concerned about pulling it behind my '05 LJ. I will be shaving some weight by swapping some of the heavy components (see below), but the biggest consideration is that this trailer will see 98% road use, and won't be used on crazy offroad trails. At the most, I foresee using it on some "back 40" two-tracks.

Short-term plans:
  • Ditch the surge brake set-up in lieu of a receiver for the AT Max Coupler.
  • Install new 7-round pigtail & wiring, and swap the tail light bulbs for 12V units. I also want to install some LED side markers that I already bought from AT.
  • Fit up my AT nose box (which I already have).
  • Research sealed storage solutions. klmore's build thread has some of the most nicely-executed storage ideas for these full-size trailers, IMO. Thanks for the inspiration, klmore. I'm also going to look into wheelwell storage units for inside the bed as an alternative, as I want to retain the stake pockets & bows/cover.
  • Install some in-bed LED lighting. I plan on using this for "truck bed camping", as well as general utility. I'd like some LED lighting for both purposes.

Longer-term plans:
  • Possibly install an air bag suspension set-up (already have the AT brackets, but my air bags are still on backorder with AT's supplier). I may position the axle with the main leafs from the trailer (removing the others), or may use a 3-link set-up. I have to do some more research on this first. I don't need independent trailing arms for my purposes, but would like the tunability of the air bag pressure.
  • Swap the military trailer axle, wheels & tires for a narrower standard trailer axle, and the Jeep Ravine wheels/31" BFG KM2s that I already have.
  • Possibly 12V power. However, given my limited use, I may just run power off my Jeep battery, when needed.
  • Repaint, and possibly Line-X in the bed

Photos of my actual trailer to come...

Craig

Last edited:

1x1_Speed_Craig

And here are the pics of the starting point (the bows & tarp are in the bed, as it won't fit under the garage door opening when installed...drat). First on the agenda is getting the wiring hooked up (retaining the stock tail lights), and fabricating a 2" receiver mount in front for use with my AT Max Coupler. The AT nose box is just sitting on the tongue right now; I still need to weld on some mounting brackets, and prep/paint the box.

I'll probably resell the BF Goodrich Commercial tires and military axle once I swap in a narrower trailer axle with my Ravine wheels & BFT KM2s.

Craig

Attachments

• m101a3_w_nosebox.jpg
    m101a3_w_nosebox.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 424
  • m101a3_2.jpg
    m101a3_2.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 353
  • m101a3_axle.jpg
    m101a3_axle.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:

Trail100

Observer
I'll probably resell the BF Goodrich Commercial tires and military axle once I swap in a narrower trailer axle with my Ravine wheels & BFT KM2s.

That axle is pretty cool with the added ground clearance built in, but a big ol' gap in that area from your planned air bag setup will be cooler.:sombrero:

1x1_Speed_Craig

That axle is pretty cool with the added ground clearance built in, but a big ol' gap in that area from your planned air bag setup will be cooler.:sombrero:

Thanks. Actually, I wouldn't be using independent suspension (trailing arms), but rather a standard straight axle with a 3-link set-up, most likely. SO, the center clearance will actually decrease - not a big deal given my intended purposes for the trailer.

I did check with my local driveline shop to see if they could narrow the military axle and install standard 3500-lb. trailer axle spindles, but they're not equipped to do so. Maybe I should call a few more places first. Otherwise, hopefully, someone sees the value in the high-clearance military axle when I get ready to sell it.

Craig

1x1_Speed_Craig

Small afternoon project...

I made some mounts to mount my AT tongue box out of 1/8" flat stock. I cut, bent & welded them into a small tab with a 1.5" square mounting surface, then welded nuts on the underside so I can bolt the tongue box down from inside. This will prevent the box from being unbolted from the trailer (not that I'm super worried about security, but if you're doing it once...).

I'll work on getting them welded on the trailer tomorrow, or sometime this week.

Next on the list is to modify another AT tongue bracket I ordered (should be here within 7-10 days, I hope), and get my new receiver tube cut/fit/welded in. The stock lunette and surge brake set-up has already been removed, so the trailer isn't usable at this point. Soon, very soon (which probably means "several months" :sombrero:).

Craig

Attachments

• tongue_box_mounts_1_sm.jpg
    tongue_box_mounts_1_sm.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 153
  • tongue_box_mounts_2_sm.jpg
    tongue_box_mounts_2_sm.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 149

1x1_Speed_Craig

I got the axle pulled today. Wow, are those A3 axles HEAVY! The stock axle weighs more than the replacement 3500-lb. trailer axle, wheel spacers, wheels AND 31" BFG KM2s.

I still have to finish removing the trailer axle spring perches, as I had them welded on narrower than what I need (I originally planned on using it for a scratch-built frame). Some new spring perches will have me back in business soon.

For now, I'll just install the new axle using the stock springs. The air bag suspension will wait until later.

Craig

Attachments

• axle_removed_sm.jpg
    axle_removed_sm.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 348
Great plan for this trailer build, I'm interested to see how it turns out. I'd like to do something similar, but still haven't decided between this and a pop-up (with mods).

Spudy

keep up the good work. Let me know if you ever need a hand or are doing a build day i could come help :)

1x1_Speed_Craig

I had a great day today, and got a lot done on the trailer. I got the new 3500-lb. trailer axle installed, and started on the receiver tongue bracket set-up.

For the axle install, I used the original square U-bolts that straddle the leaf springs. This required a couple sets of spring perches. The only things left to do are making some lower shock mounts (the original mounts were welded to the spring plates, which are actually welded to the A3 axle). I also have to get some bump stops, as I had to remove and cut down/section the original mounts because the U-bolts are now closer together than the original ones. See detail pic below, and you can see the brackets on top of the springs. The trailer now has the same wheels & tires as my Jeep LJ. The axle width worked out very nicely (62" axle width with 2" wheel spacers, for a total width of 66"). The tires are just about even with the fenderwell openings now.

I also ended up picking up an Adventure Trailers tongue bracket rather than scratch-building one. I had to trim about 1/2" off each side in the back, and a couple inches off the tongue of the trailer for it to work (very straightforward). I still have to trim the top plate to match the angle of the A-frame tongue. I also have to decide if I'm going to go with the stock tongue length (which gives a 100.3" receiver-to-spindle length), of if I'll keep the extra length with the 18" receiver, which would add about 4" to this length.

So, it's coming along nicely, and it won't be long before I'll have it ready to roll.

Craig

Attachments

• spring_perches.jpg
    spring_perches.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 344
  • new_axle_wheels_tires_2.jpg
    new_axle_wheels_tires_2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 337
  • new_axle_wheels_tires_1.jpg
    new_axle_wheels_tires_1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 378
  • tongue_receiver_mock-up.jpg
    tongue_receiver_mock-up.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 383

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Glad all went well...it's going look sweet sitting behind the Jeep with matching wheels.

Keep up the good work!!:smiley_drive:

Pat

1x1_Speed_Craig

Big progress this week! I got the tongue bracket completed, and got my tongue box mounted, too. I am VERY happy with the way the tongue bracket turned out.

I started by trimming about 1 1/2" (guess) off the end of each tongue frame rail, and then trimmed an AT tongue mount to fit. I also cut the 2" receiver tube to the exact length to retain the stock 100.3" tongue-to-spindle measurement. Once I was done welding the outside edges, I ground 'em down all pretty like. :victory: I'm pretty happy with my welds, too. I'm an corporate/office drone by day, so the welding is just a hobby.

I got the AT tongue box mounted up, too. It's bolted down to the mounting tabs from inside the box to help as a theft deterrent. It's going to work out nicely for me. If I were to do it again, though, I'd buy a tongue box locally. The AT one is built nicely, but between the rough grinding that'll need to be sanded out (partially primer, partially bare metal), and the fact that shipping on a pallet was $200 plus the $350 purchase price, it's considerably more money than I should have spent. I'll sand it down and paint it with POR-15, then topcoat it with Krylon Semi-Flat Black.

I also have a "beauty shot" with my '05 LJ. I'm going to have to get a ball mount with more rise, as the tongue sits a little low with the one I had. You can see I didn't tighten down the Max Coupler (which is VERY nice), as I didn't want to "break the seal" on the nylock nut until I knew it would sit right.

Next on my list...welding the tube mount for the tongue jack.

Craig

Attachments

• tongue_box_mounting_tabs.jpg
    tongue_box_mounting_tabs.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 214
  • new_tongue_2.jpg
    new_tongue_2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 231
  • welds_closeup.jpg
    welds_closeup.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 235
  • new_tongue_1.jpg