2.5 Td motor question (or any LR diesel engine)

Blair G

Adventurer
Anybody know if an impact wrench is used to tighten the main dampener bolt to the crank? Its a big ******** and it is still loose after manually tightening it.

Blair

revor

Explorer
Do you mean it comes loose after a while or doesn't tighten fully down? If it never gets tight I'd check the threads and make sure the correct washer is in place.. On the other hand if it keeps coming loose I'd make sure I was getting all I could on it to torque it.. Block the wheels, in gear (any) parking brake on.. etc.. Check a Manual, some diesels require a lock washer although I don't recall one on any Rover motor I've ever seen..

Blair G

Adventurer
revor said:
Do you mean it comes loose after a while or doesn't tighten fully down? If it never gets tight I'd check the threads and make sure the correct washer is in place.. On the other hand if it keeps coming loose I'd make sure I was getting all I could on it to torque it.. Block the wheels, in gear (any) parking brake on.. etc.. Check a Manual, some diesels require a lock washer although I don't recall one on any Rover motor I've ever seen..

Thanks Keith,
I can't seem to tighten it by hand all the way so that the dampener is tight against the crank. I noticed this before and added a spacer as I think some work has been done in the area in the past. Not sure what they did.
I have wrapped the pulleys with webbing and am tightening against the webbing and not losing any force to the movement of the engine.
Thanks,
Blair

Blair G

Adventurer
Looks like we are narrowing in on the problem. I might have got a 200Tdi bolt instead of the one I needed. The length of the snout was changed between the 2. I can cut the bolt I have and it should be fine.....hopefully.
Blair

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior