2.7l too small for expo truck?

kpla51

Did some searching and cant find much. I just sold my 03 preerunner and purchased a 2015 access cab 4x4 with a 2.7l manual. I don't want to build a full blown expo truck but would at least like some armor an arb bumper and a flip open tent. Maybe a few fuel jugs ext. This would be used for 4 day weekend trips with the wife. Is the 2.7l up to the task if i get proper gearing? Id like no bigger than 265/75/16.

Jeff H

Adventurer
I'm running a 2.7L in my access cab. With the 5 speed I don't have any issues with power. I usually only have 1-2 people max in my truck but if I felt that it was underpowered I'd just do gears and call it good.

adrstout

Adventurer
Is it enough? Well, yes...probably.

As long as you don't expect to go real fast, pull heavy loads, etc. it is a great motor. It's better with the 5 speed. I have the auto and 265/75s which causes downshifting fairly frequently on the interstate. You'll be fine with bumpers/armor. Just don't expect v8 performance.

Interstate speeds aren't a struggle as long as you're wiling to rev sometimes. Off road, etc...2.7l is great!

Paddy

Adventurer
Funny. Guys drool over more power. Always. When I had a suzuki I thought it was under powered but it had the 1.6l 4v engine that the samurai guys drooled over and swapped into their trucks because they had 1.3l 2v motors. Is 165hp enough? Well it's more than 2x what a classic Land Rover had and they were the original expo truck. Big hp is for one thing, going fast. If you need an expo rig to go fast, then no it's not enough power.

stb

I've had both versions of the 2.7. A '99 access cab and now an '09 regular cab. Bother were 5-speeds with 4:10 gears. The '99 had a TJM bumper, sliders, skid plates, and was usually loaded up with gear. It did just fine on freeways and hills. I think the 2nd generation 2.7 has a few more horsepower and seems to rev a little higher. Both get upwards of 20 mpg highway on trips. Off road in low-range it will go anywhere your suspension and tires can take you.

kpla51

I always liked the 2.7 and know if properly geared it can do anything a v8 or v6 can but I just wasn't sure it could with the added weight.

lugueto

Adventurer
I've had a 3rz for a few years and it has never failed me. The 5 speed and the good use of the transfer case help lots. I've never really needed any more than that, even though it would be nice to have a V6. The 3rz and the 2tr four bangers are pretty capable considering their size and theyre super reliable

2scars

Adventurer
I had a, '04 AC 5-speed with the added luxury of factory 4.30s and I thought it was pretty good. Everyday use was fine, I didn't really want more power until our trip to Moab, and even then the trouble was the cross wind in KS and the mountains in CO. I think I was in 4th for the entire trip across KS and still only managed about 70-75mph. You really just have to keep it in mind and get used to downshifting and revving the little motor, it can certainly handle higher rpms just fine.

Brandon

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Did some searching and cant find much. I just sold my 03 preerunner and purchased a 2015 access cab 4x4 with a 2.7l manual. I don't want to build a full blown expo truck but would at least like some armor an arb bumper and a flip open tent. Maybe a few fuel jugs ext. This would be used for 4 day weekend trips with the wife. Is the 2.7l up to the task if i get proper gearing? Id like no bigger than 265/75/16.

My 22RE powered pickup is super slow on long grades and barely keeps up to freeway traffic... but it did get us down to Costa Rica and will most likely get us to Ushuaia as well. The truck is fully loaded with gear on 265/75R16s and isn't regeared (stock 4.10s) so that doesn't really help. Sure a 3.4L or LS swap would be great, but instead of spending money on that I just spend money on fuel to drive south. We carry enough gear to be self sufficient for 7-10 days.

Your 2.7L will definitely be up to the task.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Totally agree with DesktoGlory. I have an '89 with the 2.4 liter 22re that is my daily driver and wheeling/camping rig. I have lived out of it for a week at times while exploring with a combo of highway and trail miles while fully loaded with gear. The 4 cylinder motors are simple and are easy enough to work on. I have re-geared for tire size and that makes a HUGE difference. With my set up I will not win any drag races and I have to shift a little bit more, but this is fun because you get to actually drive your vehicle. My truck was rated at about 100-110HP from the factory and you have quite a bit more power than that. You have a totally acceptable expo platform that I am a bit envious of. Whenever I get on Toyota's web page and price out a new Tacoma I do it with the 4 cylinder. Just build it with the right gearing and enjoy the scenery on the sections highway where the going gets a little slower. I can say that I have never been passed by a VW Bus and those people really seam to enjoy their travels!

Jeremy P.

Adventurer
My old 4runner was a 1990 with the 22re and 5 speed. My current 2004 4runner has the V6/automatic. I can tell you that over the course of 2-3 days of 4wheeling in Moab, the old 4runner would still get about 15 mpg while my latest 3 day trip with the 2004 resulted in about 8 mpg. Part of that is due to a heavier vehicle but a big part is due to the automatic and V6. Both have/had 4.88 gears and 33" tires. This was on very low speed/rock crawling type trails.

Mike368

For me Toyota pickups are best with 4 cylinders, from my experience the V6s make for an unhappy medium. My Ex had a TRD double cab it was a great truck but she only drove it back and forth to work. After work we/she drove my 2.7 extra cab 4x4 to do most everything else because the fuel economy was so much better. When we where headed some place that we may have needed the lockers it still set at home because I had an '83 with 5.29 lockers on 35s. Later I traded my truck for a Silverado and we drove that most the time because it got pretty much the same MPG as her truck but had more room...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne