$200 5KW Portable Diesel Air Heater

This is my current set up:
Line dropped into my jerry can, powered by my 200AH LiFePO4 bank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see, so I am completely ignorant on power banks, is it something like this?

And that will last you through the night? Through several nights on one charge? I don't camp longer then 2 nights, but temps for me can drop down into the 30s sometimes where I go

john61ct

Adventurer

And that will last you through the night? Through several nights on one charge? I don't camp longer then 2 nights, but temps for me can drop down into the 30s sometimes where I go
4 of those (type of) cells to make a 12V bank.

Plus BMS most likely. Plus the right sort of charge sources, wiring gear and skillz to create and maintain it.

Electricity is just used for the blower, fans, electronics, so maybe what 10-20Ah overnight?

It's the fuel provides the heat energy.

john61ct

Adventurer
Can do the same with a pair of FLA Duracell / Deka GC2s, $200 all up, much less fussy to care for, but will only last 6-8 years at best.

LFP might go decades, and half the weight, but pricey.

Can do the same with a pair of FLA Duracell / Deka GC2s, $200 all up, much less fussy to care for, but will only last 6-8 years at best.

LFP might go decades, and half the weight, but pricey.

Yea I noticed the price on the ones I posted before was just for one and realized the need for 4, and had to double take, def out of my price range on that one, but the Duracell seem more doable.

llamalander

If the draw is fairly minimal, 10-20ah, you might consider replacing your starter battery with a similar sized (volume, not capacity) deep-cell battery--you can probably fit 100+ ah in the same space in your engine bay. Parking for 2 days and running it for 2 nights will still not use enough to leave you stranded and a Lithium jump pack could insure that doesn't happen. Your alternator will recharge it, so you won't need to add solar right away, or a second battery and relay... or the cool bluetooth controller everyone likes... or the fridge that totally changes everything.

Coachgeo

Explorer
just saw they now sell a 3kw... got one for a friends van..... with insulation in small van thinking 3kw might be about right? I may get two 3kw for my ambulance box... use both when needed... like lazy cold day in afternoon sitting at desk on computer..... but only one near sleep area with a drawn curtain cutting this off from rest of habitat.... of course also warming engine coolant via heat exchanger from exhaust along with water storage/plumbing at night.) might save some on fuel?? for extended boondock. Not so cold days.... on 3kw may be all will need??

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Just went through this whole thread, great info, however I may have missed it, for those of you who have put together one of these and used it, how are you powering it? Are you running them off your normal starting battery of your vehicle with some gator clips? Hardwired to the car? A separate battery entirely? I saw someone a few pages back with a deep cycle battery in front of their setup

I'd like to put one of these together to make sleeping in the back of my Tundra's bed with my Softopper shell a bit more comfortable. My thinking is I can grab the unit that is already ready to go in its own body, get a deep cycle battery, some kind of small solar charger to charge the battery during the day when I'm out on the bike, and some kind of small wheeled cart. Run some dryer duct up into the shell, and be warm for the night. It seems there have been some success in doing so in this thread with RTTs, can't see what it wouldn't work in my application, just want to make sure it wont die on me in the middle of the night.

I run mine under a single start battery. Group 31 was the largest battery I could fit in the stock location. I run my heater for 10 hours or so with no issues starting in the morning. I do start the truck to start the heater as the draw is pretty high to start it. Probably because my wires are undersized at the accessory outlet in the topper. Once the heater is running. I can shut the truck off. I also carry a baby jump pack Incase but haven’t had to use it. I also have a 12v fridge running off the same battery. The heater at low/mid setting only draws like 1.5ah and on full setting around 2ah.

I do have a hardwire solar set up so in the morning it does charge my battery so I’m never worried running a single battery for start and house.

That battery you saw in front of the unit is probably my post. It was a size comparison as well as the start/house battery I was upgrading too.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida

That's enough to last nine or ten days. Before I had my trailer, I had the tool box sitting on my spare powered by a single 100AH AGM batt. Lithium is better, if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one (or more) up, it's so choice. My vids on this thread go though my old set up and power consumption tests.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
That's enough to last nine or ten days. Before I had my trailer, I had the tool box sitting on my spare powered by a single 100AH AGM batt. Lithium is better, if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one (or more) up, it's so choice. My vids on this thread go though my old set up and power consumption tests.

My bank is enough for nine or then days, just want to clear that up.

trackhead

Adventurer
I have one of these in my boat in Alaska, but I'm considering building a portable unit for my truck camper. How are you guys isolated exhaust gases from the air that enters the heat chamber that is supposed to NOT be mixed with carbon monoxide?

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I have one of these in my boat in Alaska, but I'm considering building a portable unit for my truck camper. How are you guys isolated exhaust gases from the air that enters the heat chamber that is supposed to NOT be mixed with carbon monoxide?
My video is on this thread that shows my tool box set up, as well as a bunch of photos from others

Rbertalotto

Explorer
This is a fantastic tread. I just ordered an All In One / Self Contained heater for my RTT. Can't beat the price if it only lasts a few years.
I see folks reporting 400+ degree exhaust heat. Has anyone thought about wrapping copper tubing around the exhaust pipe to preheat water for a morning quick wash or to keep it from freezing in ultra cold temps? I would imagine some type of thermal water movement would take place and no pump would be needed. But if a pump was needed a small aquarium pump might work?

Thermal Cycle Video

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94