$200 5KW Portable Diesel Air Heater

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Everything fits inside the toolbox for transport with the exception of the extended hoses. It’s still a reasonable load out. The Jerry cans are already on the bumper, so there’s zero impact there.
IMG_0507.jpg
IMG_0508.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowfiend

Had a few too many last night and put an eBay offer on one of these. Seller declined and countered at more than the original asking price :LOL: I'll just wait for an eBay coupon instead.

hour

Observer

looking at your post on the previous page, it seems you're using the dryer duct for hot air outlet? I'd love something better than the black hose that comes with the units but I see you kept yours around... are you using that bit first and then attaching the dryer duct to that? Seems like I've read the dryer duct temperature tolerances are too low for the output temps I've measured.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
looking at your post on the previous page, it seems you're using the dryer duct for hot air outlet? I'd love something better than the black hose that comes with the units but I see you kept yours around... are you using that bit first and then attaching the dryer duct to that? Seems like I've read the dryer duct temperature tolerances are too low for the output temps I've measured.

I guess I'm going to find out. Worked fine in my initial test.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Today is day 1 of field testing. After set up, I primed the pump, and fired it up. I added a 6’ whip with a plug to my 2nd batt for power. I had my engine running during this initial fire up. After a couple of mins, I got an E-08 code which is associated with too low voltage... but it also means too high voltage. I turned the engine off, and restarted the heater. It ran just fine. This is a quick shot of the setup.

IMG_0515.jpg

Heavyopp

Observer
I’m curious to see how this works out for this weekend, kinda bummed I’m not there

What are the nighttime temps expected in camp?

aaen

Adventurer
I’m still waiting on mine to come in, says shipped but no update on the package. Presume it’s coming directly from China. Fingers crossed this works, then I can spend feb/mar exploring the backcountry and snow shoeing with the dog!

Heavyopp

Observer
Is the metal case worth an extra $70 if it's going in a toolbox? I saw this one today that has the new style LCD and remote but plastic case. Parts list looks the same with 10L tank and muffler

$131
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/292909445619

Vs. metal for $193
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ca/ulk/itm/401667397324

I'm thinking the aluminum case may be more desirable when the heater unit is enclosed in a toolbox with no outside air circulation -- I also think there are some upgrades in the version 2 unit electronics

COBlu77

I've been following this thread closely, because I sold my Kimberly Kamper, that had a Webasto (same as these Chinese knock-offs) heater. The Webasto helped me extend my camping season and I missed it this fall. I thought I'd throw out a few of my observations from using my Webasto nearly every spring and fall for 10 years, to assist you with your prototypes, so I can copy (haha).

First and foremost, the amp draw and your battery ah capacity/health are critical. I had 210 ah batteries in my KK and could start the heater on the first night and run it all night (on low). The second night I usually had to charge the batteries with a generator, or run the truck with the camper attached when I started the heater, until it got going. Low voltage meant it would repeatedly try to start itself, worsening the low battery issue, until it finally threw an error and shut off. The other thing that has been pointed out in this thread, is that the fuel supply doesn't tolerate air in the line well, which was an issue with my KK, because I was running a hose from a small fuel can, or from my tank when I had a diesel truck. That would cause it to restart and eventually cause an error code and shut down too. Priming it properly and maintaining flow without bubbles in the line was critical. It was also real picky about any restrictions in the intake/exhaust hoses. One of my guest kampers inadvertently blocked the intake/exhaust ports with his high dollar down bag and pad. His bag and pad got soaked in diesel and caught on fire, nearly burning us all down. Needless to say he was not amused and neither was I (got to test my fancy halon fire extinguisher though).

It was enough of a pain at times that I hardly used it unless it was super cold (like 0-20f) . I was glad I had a wood stove too, but when things got really cold during elk hunts, I was very happy to have the Webasto running all night. On high the thing would cook you out of my KK, which was all canvas. I could even keep the large enclosed awning area warm with the thing, which made my guest kampers happy. I generally ran it on low, so that the fan noise didn't keep me awake all night. On low it was quiet enough and created white noise to help you sleep. It was only rarely run at elevations below 8000ft, and that may have contributed to the above issues, but once it got going it ran cleanly and the exhaust and smell was very minimal. I had about 10 ft of exhaust tubing and ran it up and away from the sleeping area. I never knew it could "coke" up from not running it on high and that may explain why it was a little fussy the first time I ran it each season. There were only a couple of times I couldn't get it going and I believe those were related to the battery and fuel supply issues mentioned above.

FWIW, my Webasto manual wasn't much help either. It had a lot of tech specs and for most error codes it told you to call your dealer for most things. This thread has been enlightening and I hope you keep sharing pics and experience with your designs, as I'm now tenting it again and missed out on elk season this year, because it was only supposed to get into the 20's, during the week I could go, so I chickened out. Growing up in CO, winter camping is something only the transplants and newbies get excited about after experiencing it without a heat source a few times. BTW, Mr Buddy Heater isn't your friend above 7500 ft, it won't stay lit for more than 20 minutes and just pisses you off when it's really cold.

aaen

Adventurer
Hmm, seems like quite the high power draw on the web, compared to these new ones. The 5kw draws less then 2amps when the glow plus are up and running and I believe less then 10amps when heating the plug. I suspect, I’ll have to run the truck in the mornings to charge my second battery until l I get a larger lithium battery setup.

Chorky

Observer
First and foremost, the amp draw and your battery ah capacity/health are critical. I had 210 ah batteries in my KK and could start the heater on the first night and run it all night (on low). The second night I usually had to charge the batteries with a generator...

One of my guest kampers inadvertently blocked the intake/exhaust ports with his high dollar down bag and pad. His bag and pad got soaked in diesel and caught on fire, nearly burning us all down. Needless to say he was not amused and neither was I (got to test my fancy halon fire extinguisher though).

This is interesting and something I have been seeing a lot lately in discussions of diesel heaters, and water heaters. And it is quite concerning to me. 210ah and it wouldn't run? that's terrible. Maybe some wiring issues, or something else, but to me the 2 reasons for a diesel heater are 1) same fuel source as the truck, 2) significantly lower fuel consumption than propane, and safer, 3) low power consumption.

But from what I'm gathering in this thread alone is that power (amp hour) consumption is significant. What's the point of something if you can't even get away with one night of remote camping without a generator? Seems the system has a flaw somewhere.... Unless we are all missing something. Maybe another option would be a marine 'stove' that is typically used for marine applications, that is more or less like a wood stove only with diesel. Although high altitudes could be a problem. But this seems a big issue. My RV was able to run on just 2 crappy conditioned 6v batteries for 3 days with full heat all the time, water running, and a 12v fridge. I'm beginning to think throwing a diesel heater in there and it wouldn't run for one night with just the heater alone. Something's not right with that....

That's a bummer about your fire, hope the extinguisher worked good. I guess it was a good test before truly needing it? haha kidding....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior