$200 5KW Portable Diesel Air Heater

Chorky

Observer
This what my big camper is fitted with. I wanted no electric requirement and silent.
No experience with it at high altitude, I never used it above 2000m.o.h. or so.
Basically its burner is a metal cup enclosed within the stove body what burning raw fuel is slowly fed into. The feed rate is adjustable. As far as altitude, I expect any air density diesel will openly burn at, it should work.
Once its at operating temperature, fuel is vapourised instantly as it enters within the burner cup then, flame is blue with yellow tips and exhaust is nearly smokeless.

Over the years I used a number of Espars, X-2s & D-1s. What are great heaters, but never used them at high altitudes.

How would you say the heat output compares between the different ones you used? Any preferences?

Chorky

Observer
Yeah I reall like the simplistic idea of a oil stove, plus no electrical draw other than maybe a fuel pump to bring it to the burner. Would certainly make things a lot easier electrical bank wise.

john61ct

Adventurer
When y'all say oilstove, the actual fuel is kero / diesel right, same as what the parking heaters consume?

So for an arctic / ski bum use case,

a parking heater for quick comfort, then

get the oilstove going, as it gets toasty, let the thermostat keep the PH turned off, or even eliminate its power usage entirely.

Redundancy, less wear & tear on the limited-hours PH, best of both worlds and cheaper long term.

Right?

snowfiend

Is the metal case worth an extra $70 if it's going in a toolbox? I saw this one today that has the new style LCD and remote but plastic case. Parts list looks the same with 10L tank and muffler

$131
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/292909445619

Vs. metal for $193
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ca/ulk/itm/401667397324

Ended up ordering the plastic case for $132 OTD. Going to hit the thrift shop for a tool box and see exactly how low budget I can get this build :) Arrives in a week

Heavyopp

Observer
Today is day 1 of field testing. After set up, I primed the pump, and fired it up. I added a 6’ whip with a plug to my 2nd batt for power. I had my engine running during this initial fire up. After a couple of mins, I got an E-08 code which is associated with too low voltage... but it also means too high voltage. I turned the engine off, and restarted the heater. It ran just fine. This is a quick shot of the setup.

View attachment 494275
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wondering how this worked out in Georgia?

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
First of all, the whole 2K full blast vs 5k chillin debate was moot in this application. The 5K was running full blast 90% of the time. Attempting to heat the annex room and the tent seemed reasonable, and it did a decent job... until wind. When the weather was calm, it had little problem maintaining an inside temp that was 30 deg above the outside temp, and would even kick down. However, when the winds began whipping, what little heat the non-insulated tent could hold would be blown out. The heater was full blast during these times, and that inside temp would drop to 15-20 deg above outside temp.
I did notice that when the temps were in the 30's it ran fine with the toolbox closed; when the temps got into the high 40's, I got over temp errors. The last night I was out there, the temps were supposed to drop into the 20's. I decided to abandon the idea of heating the whole area and decided to bring the hose up into the tent with me and zip up the front door around it. When I first snuggled into bed I had the thermostat set for 24C (the display reads about 4 deg hot), and it did a fine job heating the much smaller area. Knowing that I was going to get blasted by northern winds later that night, I zipped up the north-facing window that I had been leaving open a crack for ventilation. Everything was fine, the heater had no problems at 11pm getting to temp and kicking down then up again like any other heater. I awoke to a freezing cold tent at 4am. Looked at the display, and saw it was a low voltage situation. I remote-started the Jeep, and proceeded to fire up the heater, which is super fun because the fan is now blowing arctic air into the tent. The heater once again failed to start giving an uncharted E-10 error. So I threw on my coat, and my go-fasters and headed out into the breach. The first thing I checked was fuel, sure enough, the fuel line was not submerged in the fuel. I corrected that problem, primed the pump, and watched for an eternity the fuel slowly make it's way to the pump. I fired it up again and all was well. I went back to bed, realized that I left the toolbox open, but said, "******-it". The tent began to warm up, but I did notice that the case temp never reached that last bar on the display. The heater ran full blast until my alarm went off at 7am.

Overall, the heater operated for as much as 14 hrs per day, and used about 4 gallons of diesel over four days.
What I'd do differently:
Shorten the hose lengths, the heater didn't need to be as far away as I thought it should be
Abandon the idea of heating the annex room AND the tent, I will simply place the hose where I am, or perhaps find a splitter
I extended the wires for the controller so it would reach upstairs and downstairs, but it didn't need to be as long as it is
Add vent holes for fresh air, the box was closed because it rained non stop for 1 day
Add a volt and ammeter to my setup so I can better monitor my secondary battery

Last edited:

aaen

Adventurer
What was the amp draw on the heater over that time? I’m worried my current aux battery is not going to be enough, well I know it probably won’t be for the long run but it will do until I upgrade this summer.

Seve

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I cover this in my testing vids on my Pastafari fb page.
When the glow plug is on - 7 amps
When the heater is full on - 2.7 amps
When heater kicks down at temp - .5 amps

chet6.7

Explorer
Thank you, I’m probably the only person who doesn’t do Facebook.
You are not the only one.:)
I think I saw a post by you on TW,if I remember it correctly,you bought a different model than some on this thread.Will you explain why you chose that model?
I was thinking about the Propex HS2211 External Gas Air Heater since it seems I could mount it under the bed of the truck.These diesel heaters are less expensive,so I am interested to see what you do.Thanks.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I think I saw a post by you on TW,if I remember it correctly,you bought a different model than some on this thread.Will you explain why you chose that model?
I was thinking about the Propex HS2211 External Gas Air Heater since it seems I could mount it under the bed of the truck.These diesel heaters are less expensive,so I am interested to see what you do.Thanks.

Propex is expensive comparatively, and I’d have to carry gas which is silly when your vehicle is diesel.

aaen

Adventurer
Propex is expensive comparatively, and I’d have to carry gas which is silly when your vehicle is diesel.

Yup and living in Northern Canada it is pretty much useless as the gas will not come out of liquid form easily. Even if the boil point is like minus 40, minus 20 it starts performing poorly in my experience

aaen

Adventurer
It is the same heater, just in a premade casing, was 60 cdn dollars more then the bare unit. Reason I bought that was because, I wanted to remove it for the spring/summer camping seasons and I was going to put it in a tool box anyways and do the same thing. This saves me the trouble of building it and i. An install run the two lines out and i am done. Well are we ever really done?

Now if it’ll only show up this week i can put it to use.

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles